VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a samsung player that can play many file types via a USB stick. It even allows files over 4gigs, which many players do not allow. The only thing is that it can't play DivX files and it cannot access YouTube (although it does have Netflix access).

Is there a player I can get that plays all these file types and has youtube access? it doesn't even need to play blu rays ha.

thanks!

also, sorry if this is covered somewhere else. if it is, i couldnt find the post.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Roku 3.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Panasonic DMP-BD79 Blu-ray Player would be on the list.

States non-3d on box ... could be a typo as it can.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Roku 3.
    thanks for your help

just looked into this. looks like a very cool device. however i didnt see divx as being supported in the video formats on the official specs. Also, it mentioned netflix and others, but i didnt see YouTube.
    it could be that it does do these things but just didn't say on the description, but i would need more confirmation before i shell out the cash. if it does do these things i would buy one today!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Panasonic DMP-BD79 Blu-ray Player would be on the list.
    that looked pretty awesome, but digging into the specs i found that it says "Compatible only with FAT 32 file systems." This would limit me to a 4gig file size limit, unfortunately. Also, it looked like the DivX ability was limited to burnt dvds.

thanks for your help though
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Select "Channels" at the top of any page at Roku's website. YouTube is listed under "Most Watched".

It doesn't look like DivX AVI files have native support on the Roku 3. I don't know if installing Plex could change that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, you guys are selling me on this Roku 3 thing.... and I looked into it and it looks like it handles many USB format types so there wouldnt be a size limit restriction like a FAT32.
    however, when looking that up, i found a forum saying that it can be finicky about playing MKVs sometimes. have you guys experienced MKV playback on the roku 3?

also, that Plex media server looks pretty good and that might be a solution on its own. i am considering buying one from roku and trying the 30day return period....
    Last edited by elgrayso; 24th Jan 2014 at 11:34.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look up roku 3 and YouTube on google,as to divx files you can always change the 4cc to xvid with AviC.Almost all players will play xvid avi files as compared to divx.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just ordered one. thanks guys!
    i'm excited to try it out!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just got it in and am setting it up (Roku 3).... first thing I noticed, no digital optical out?
    how do people connect this thing to their home theaters?

i have a ps3 and a blu ray player (the roku 3 is replacing it) and they both go into a digital optical splitter which goes to my surround sound. it works great, but I dont know what to do now that this device doesnt use that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elgrayso View Post
    just got it in and am setting it up (roku 3).... First thing i noticed, no digital optical out?
    How do people connect this thing to their home theaters?

I have a ps3 and a blu ray player (the roku 3 is replacing it) and they both go into a digital optical splitter which goes to my surround sound. It works great, but i dont know what to do now that this device doesnt use that.

hdmi
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mine doesn't have hdmi input. is there a way for it to go: Roku3-->HDMI--->TV--->Optical Cable-->Surround Sound?

i have a Logitech Z-5500

sorry if these are noob questions. i appreciate the help
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy a proper receiver with hdmi input and hdmi outputs,i bought a sony receiver just for that purpose,don't need to use any optical cables and all the input switching is done by the receiver.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i would but i dont think i can switch out the receiver on this setup. (ill look into it though)
    i only paid $100 for it, otherwise i would have gone the typical route and not bought the stereo as a single setup.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As long as you have speakers you can set up any blu-ray player and roku to a hdtv with hdmi cables to the type of receiver i described.
    Quote Quote