VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Good Morning All

I'm a long time browser of this site but first time poster. Reason being, I usually find all the information I need before I need to post which is a credit to all the people on here.

So basically what I am trying to achieve is the best possible VHS to digital transfer possible. (Yes, I know there is a million threads but they dont translate to every situation, or not cost effective).

My method of transfer is utilising a DVD recorder namely a Panasonic DMR-XW350.

But obviously I have encountered a problem.

So I have my VCR (LG V271) connected the the DVD Recorder (Panasonic DMR-XW350) via composite. When I play both the PAL and NTSC VHS tapes, I am experiencing lines and distortion etc as you can see in my sample videos below. (These are direct rips from the DVD, no encoding). I will note that this only occurs when I play VHS through composite inputs, I have no problem when I connect a DVD via s-video. I do not have a SVHS Player to try VHS via s-video yet.

PAL - https://mega.nz/#!mw9BXCBK!t1cWU3_dEOrC8kAkLFHj6VOGwbZ-kObRAru2RUEXuBQ
    NTSC - https://mega.nz/#!KgsX2YgL!4CjE4XDUyLx8FowMuen2td6TkPad-JV9tWDwChhE4uM

As you can see there are obvious problems with the video.

Now what I have troubleshooted...
    Changing VHS player - Still an issue
    Changing cables - Still a problem
    Changing NTSC/HDMI/Picture settings in DVD recorder - still a problem
    Changing VHS tapes - Still a problem

So my obvious question is, why am I experiencing this problem and what is the cause?
    Will this problem still occur if I play the VHS via S-Video?
    Is the composite inputs malfunctioning in the TBC?

Your help and experience is greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run it thru XMedia Recode
    Deinterlace with cubic interpolation should take Pal video.
    Deinterlace with linear blending or linear interpolation and crop should take NTSC video, Note the one you listed as NTSC it is really PAL recording not a true NTSC 720x480 29.97
    As for that white line you just have to live with it
    Quote Quote  
  3. With the NTSC source: Each frame of NTSC video is normally captured as 720x480. But PAL recorders at 720x576. Since the recorder only got 480 scan line of active picture the rest of the frame (the bottom) is just junk (mostly black). Further NTSC video is 29.97 frames per second whereas PAL is 25 frames per second. The recorder dropped every 6th NTSC frame leaving you with jerks where the missing frame is. The picture is pretty washed out but I don't know if the original tape is that way or if it's an issue with the recording.

The PAL source is a little harder to explain. It appears to be a mix of 25p, 25i, and NTSC to PAL converted material. There's some additional ghosting -- probably caused by an over agressive temporal noise reduction filter (turn that off if you can). On some frames ghosting at the bottom of the frame, in others a ghost at the top. Again, it's very washed out in some shots and very dark in others. Macrovision? How do the tapes look when you watch on TV via the same composite cable? Just as washed out and dark?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best quality will always come from leaving NTSC as NTSC, PAL as PAL.
    Conversion introduces lots of issues.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because this is an all hardware setup with no software in play yet, checkout if you have the tv-system both in the same norm, only PAL or only NTSC, check if there are any other settings in both devices menu's like i/p RGB YUV etc... having the manuals of both devices would help otherwise search for them as pdf on the internet, manualslib is a good one for that.
    If de VHS recordings them selve are good you should have no problems anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'm going to narrow this down to the DVD recorder as being a problem. I've recorded via a Topfield PVR before and never had any problem with NTSC or PAL tapes. Considering these are old school, skate videos I'm not sure they have macro ision.

Considering the hardware I'm using, I'm just going to upgrade my system and not spend anymore time on this setup as it's not going to give me good results regardless if I found out the issue.

I've ordered a Panasonic S-VHS player and a Panasonic DMR-ES10 to use as my TBC-like device. Now I just need to get a capture card.

I appreciate there's countless threads on here relating to the best capture cards etc. However, my intentions are to capture VHS only. My budget for a capture card is about $100 and I'd preferably like s-video or component inputs. I would like a PCI card compatible with windows 10. Finally, capturing both NTSC and PAL VHS via PAL SVHS and PAL DVD recorder.

Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm very happy with my DMR ES35V it doesn't have TBC or SuperVHS features but gives a clean signal (also over component) to my BMD IS Thunderbolt2 device.
    I also used a Topfield DVB-S reciever in the past and transfered files from the HDD with a tool, i also burned lots of DVD's with a cheap Japanese DVD recorder, connected to the Topfield.
    I never have seen somebody else use a ES35V for capture, just luck i guess, works for me real easy with workflow in post.
    Quote Quote