VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for something that's both a step or two up from my aging Kyocera Android and a bang/buck bargain. What I'd like it to be able to do is:

- Record/playback at least 1080p/60fps video - both what it shoots and online video and record in a format that video editors will readily accept. My Kyocera only takes 30p and chokes on even 720p Youtube video. Not sure why this is since it plays back its own 1080p video.

- Ideally have a wide angle setting and decent low/lower light capability - the Kyocera doesn't do well in low light. No wide angle option.

- Record decent audio in stereo (my Kyocera only does mono and the audio sucks) and accept an external stereo mic.

- Be able to be used on pay as you go Verizon services like Total Wireless

- Ability to hook up to a non-smart TV via the HDMI port

Any model recommendations? I want to avoid paying iPhone or Galaxy money - ideally under $300. Not too proud to go used. Any features you think are must-haves or great-to-haves that you think I should consider?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Phones are shite for pro/semipro audio recording, especially stereo.

Get either a portable external recorder with connections for xlr mics (like a zoom h4n, etc), or get a stereo usb adapter for your phone that you can hook a pair of mics into.
    I have such an adapter (stereo in and out), a usb turnaround cable, and a set of Roland CS-10EM binaural combo ear mics & earphones. Quality is great works great and is all miniature! All for less than $150.

<edit>you would also need a special app that supports using usb connected mics vs the usual internal mics. They exist. But afaik, they do not do that kind of audio WITH video</edit>

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 30th Nov 2019 at 02:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Phones are shite for pro/semipro audio recording, especially stereo.

Get either a portable external recorder with connections for xlr mics (like a zoom h4n, etc), or get a stereo usb adapter for your phone that you can hook a pair of mics into.
    I have such an adapter (stereo in and out), a usb turnaround cable, and a set of Roland CS-10EM binaural combo ear mics & earphones. Quality is great works great and is all miniature! All for less than $150.

<edit>you would also need a special app that supports using usb connected mics vs the usual internal mics. They exist. But afaik, they do not do that kind of audio WITH video</edit>

Scott
    Not necessarily looking to do semi-pro video - which I assume you mean something I'd be expecting to get paid for, just want something that gives decent results in case there's some occasion when I want to pull out the phone to record video for who knows what reason, it would be great if the onboard video and audio was decent without depending on a lot of external gear. I have a Tascam recorder that does a really good job but not really something I'd want to leave in the car. A plug-in mic is something you could reasonably have handy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. LG has top mics (LG G6, G7) but external mics are expected for pro results generally.

Best low light photophone of the moment seems to be Huawei P30 pro
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Think of terms pro, semipro, consumer, as regards expected quality, not as regards compensation.
    If you don't need pro quality, you should find the default phone options acceptable.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As a follow-up to this for any future readers I ended up getting a Motorola G7 Power. Takes pretty decent video up to 4k and records onboard stereo audio that's not bad. Also has a big 5000 mAh battery - ergo the "Power" in the name.
    Quote Quote