VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Computer Problems, What Do You Do First?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tgpo, I'm proud of you. Less than one hour and a monumental comeback I'm always amazed when these threads degenerate into sacrificial chicken humor. Have you no shame? (Nice artwork, also)
    EDIT: Just to keep somewhat on topic, is it only me or does it seem strange that there are over 1000 votes and less than 500 views? It seems the vast number of members here build, break and fix their own machines.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ya, this proves what I keep telling my cousin who said I could make alot of money getting into computer repairs, we're a dime a dozen. Build my own, fix my relatives and neighbors, and mine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I built it and I have to fix it.

I have enough spare parts laying around so that I can do this without significant downtime.

The major problem is that I have to match chipset/cpu with Windows OS's. The reason is that the HAL software layer gets installed from the particular kind of hardware and if you go changing this - Windows generally blue screens early in the boot process. This is one of the many reasons that I think linux rules - you can change out the hardware and the OS boots. Its that simple. Off course where Linux does not rule is the support it recieves from HW manufacturers but this is changing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try to fix it myself. The crying comes later after I make the problem worse, and get the bill from the shop that does fix it right
    Quote Quote  
  5. Building computers for 10 years. I can fix any problems happened to my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dat
    Building computers for 10 years. I can fix any problems happened to my computer.
    Ditto. I've yet to run across a PC problem that a ball peen hammer and a five gallon bucket of water couldn't fix.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
  7. Actualt I recomend a 5 pound sledge hammer. It works every time!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sell or claim the damn thing under warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  9. For hardware-I built it, I fix it. For software problems, I uninstall it (a weekly full system backup using DVD media is the solution to almost all problems).
    If it works, don't fix it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I try to fix it. And if that dosn't work, I cry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try and fix it by... drinking beer, kick it viciously, drink beer, pick up bits scattered all over from the vicious kicking, drink beer, put bits in box, drink beer, kick it some more, cry, drink beer, collapse and hope the pc repair fairies pay a visit during the night.
    Wrap the tape firmly around the hamster...
    Quote Quote