VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been working for the past two years on a project to consolidate all of the various "home movie" recordings, captured on 10+ different devices from 340x480 Kodiak cameras in .mov format to Pixal 6 3840x2160 .mp4s, into concatenated, chronologically grouped videos. The goal of this is to get the thousands of 10-60 second+ clips off of various desktop and laptop devices and put them on a Jellyfin media server for streaming to a Roku device, and also preserve them in a way which will allow them to be gradually "upgraded" in the future i.e., in 2075 when everything is in 400k and uses .mp9 or whatever, these videos will have some degree of ability to be upscaled, etc. Obviously, that is a tall order and nobody can predict the future, but in my experience over that last 30 years of computing, assuming you don't sit on the format / files and never ever look at them again then generally you are able to upgrade things as you go.

The method I settled on for conversion was FFmpeg frontended by FFmpeg Batch AV Converter. For the bulk of the collection that was pre-4k era, I transcoded everything to 1920x1080 HEVC Main 10 L4.1 / 4 Chroma 4:2:0 AAC in .mp4 containers. As the devices got more capable over the past couple of years I started transcoding to 3840x2160 HEVC Main 10 L5 Chroma 4:2:0 AAC in .mp4 containers. This includes transcoding existing 3840x2160 HEVC Main video to Main 10.

In the past week or so, I discovered that I was being affected by a bug in the Jellyfin project which is causing all of the videos to be transcoded - not direct played as they should - leading to pauses which I think may be linked to the Jellyfin instance not being able to process the files fast enough to satisfy the Roku client. This issue only occurs with Main 10 / 10 bit depth encoded videos regardless of container, and does not occur with Main / 8 bit depth encoded videos. This issue has caused me to wonder whether my chosen format and container was the proper one for my goals. I deleted all of the original files to save on disk space, but still have a copy of everything backed up to Amazon Glacier, so I could start over from scratch if need be.

If you were to take on a project as I describe above, with the goals of maximum forward compatibility, minimum quality loss, and minimum file size, would you be using HEVC Main 10 L5 4:2:0 AAC .mp4? Or something different?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sticking with the source is critical. I like to test codecs and compressions without damaging my original material. I've never had "awesome" results with upscaling. I've taken VHS captures (NTSC) to 1440x1080 and they came out just ok, the original captures allowed me to go back to the drawing board and deinterlace, filters, whatever, but upscaling isn't going to look as good as that perfectly filtered 480p video.

You seem very concerned with forwarding through the years with these and I too agree, and do this. I save my sources so when that truly magic software comes out I'll be ready to run it through it. With the originals, I can keep them in the lossless codec, undisturbed by myself and the software. I just produce them to my liking and serve them up to my TV via Plex. I found that the TV can make a big difference in quality. I also found they aren't going to improve in quality any further than what the current technology allows me to do circa 2022.

portable hard drives are really cheap as storage goes and I have all my librarys of video saved to two external drives. A poor mans RAID if you will. My advice is save it everywhere and often. I backup all my stuff, I cloud storage what I consider mission critical.

In answer to your final paragragh, do no editing and save those originals. Only work on them to compress copies that work on your computer or media server.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    Sticking with the source is critical....
    ...In answer to your final paragragh, do no editing and save those originals. Only work on them to compress copies that work on your computer or media server.
    Thank you for the helpful response! The upscaling portion of this project really centered around issues I had with concatenation, wherein I would get all kinds of screwy issues with playback due to differing resolutions and codecs within a given block of time (multiple devices / sources). The need to get everything to one resolution meant I had to transcode, and in doing so, getting everything to HEVC Main 10 seemed logical.

Has anyone here ever had to deal with a similar mixed-source / resolution / encoding task where everything needed to be concatenated into a single continuous file?
    Quote Quote