VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a mkv file with softsubs in english.

However, i cannot properly extract them.

MKVCleaver can't find them:

MKVExtract can't either:

Potplayer can save an .ass subtitle file, but only the first 2-3 lines of the subtitles.

FFMPEG can extract them BUT they are all messed up, the font size is WAY too big and like half the screen.

How can i extract these subs like i see them in the file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you try a newer mkvextract version ? Your screenshots show versions 2-3 years old
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Did you try a newer mkvextract version ? Your screenshots show versions 2-3 years old
    Yeah, it automatically gives an error when i try to add it:

This is actually a video of a show that aired a few weeks ago, so it can't be some old obscure subs format that no modern software can work with.

Like i said, FFMPEG can extract them, but the styling of the subtitles is completely wrong (font size, font style, everything is broken).

I even went and got the latest FFMPEG and MKVtoolnix but the problem remains.
    Last edited by Unknown01; 3rd May 2021 at 22:59.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Unknown01 View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Did you try a newer mkvextract version ? Your screenshots show versions 2-3 years old
    Yeah, it automatically gives an error when i try to add it:

This is actually a video of a show that aired a few weeks ago, so it can't be some old obscure subs format that no modern software can work with.

Like i said, FFMPEG can extract them, but the styling of the subtitles is completely wrong (font size, font style, everything is broken).

I even went and got the latest FFMPEG and MKVtoolnix but the problem remains.
    try the program called subtitle edit - https://superuser.com/questions/302481/program-for-extracting-subtitle-text-from-mkv-files
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/Subtitle-Edit
    Quote Quote  
  5. Post the extracted one (with Ffmpeg) here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It might help if you posted a Mediainfo log (in text mode) of the MKV. That way, we can see if there's anything special about the subtitles within the MKV that might be causing problems.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As above or open the file in MKVToolNix and that will show all the elements. Just a reminder if anyone has any problems with mp4 or mkv files the first post should always include a MediaInfo log. Makes life a lot easier for someone to help.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is this enough?

That's the subtitle file i want to get, text #2 and text #3 are other languages.

Fun fact: This only happens with THIS show episode, other episodes subtitles can be extracted and look normal.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You can try to extract it with clever FFmpeg-GUI
    Quote Quote  
  10. You could also try to remux your 02.mkv to a new mkv with Mkvtoolnix.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You can try to extract it with clever FFmpeg-GUI
    Nope, doesn't work.

It's weird it says it can't find the file, i am chose the file and never moved it, i even can play it with a video player so the file is at the location specified.

Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You could also try to remux your 02.mkv to a new mkv with Mkvtoolnix.
    Not sure what you meant with remux but i opened it in mkvtoolnix, removed the unwanted audio and made a new video file, with only the subs i wanted.

It still doesn't work, MKVExtractGUI2 doesn't even find anything:

Same with MKVCleaver.

I have never found subs these weird before.
    Quote Quote  
  12. As last resort you could upload your 02.mkv to a hoster and post the download link here, so we can work with the faulty file and maybe find a solution.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Unknown01 View Post
    FFMPEG can extract them BUT they are all messed up, the font size is WAY too big and like half the screen.
    So edit the ASS file with notepad or wordpad and change the font size.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    So edit the ASS file with notepad or wordpad and change the font size.
    If i resize it in the notepad, the position of the subs are all messed up too.

I tried comparing the subs of that show episode with other episode and they look completely different in notepad:

One seems like a normal srt file while the other (the problematic one) is all messed up.

Everything about this file format is just a complete and utter mess, most tools cannot work with it or if they do they give a wrong result. Sometimes something works, then when repeat that it doesn't work and so.

Mediainfo probably found nothing unusual either.
    Last edited by Unknown01; 4th May 2021 at 12:59.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Use Wordpad instead of Notepad. It should show the file correctly. Windows normally uses CR+LF at the end of a line. Linux uses only CR. Notepad doesn't display Linux text documents correctly (as you have seen). Wordpad does.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    As last resort you could upload your 02.mkv to a hoster and post the download link here, so we can work with the faulty file and maybe find a solution.
    I just noticed by your username, you are the creator of clever FFMPEG GUI?

If want to check the file, it's the torrent here:

https://nyaa.si/view/1373596

I tried to cut a piece of video and upload that instead because it's 600mb and would take a while to upload but the subtitles gave more problems so i couldn't.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Use Wordpad instead of Notepad. It should show the file correctly. Windows normally uses CR+LF at the end of a line. Linux uses only CR. Notepad doesn't display Linux text documents correctly (as you have seen). Wordpad does.
    Thanks.

But it seems that the mega-font size moved the subs up than their normal position, so even if resize them i end with subs that are too high up.

Original subtitles before i try anything: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/0x5i4tL.png
    The ones i get when i extract with FFMPEG: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/q1UMNmZ.png
    Rezised version of the ones edited with FFMPEG: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/IDP1PKR.png

It might seem unimportant, but later the subs being too high affect later the video visibility.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Unknown01 View Post
    As last resort you could upload your 02.mkv to a hoster and post the download link here, so we can work with the faulty file and maybe find a solution.
    I just noticed by your username, you are the creator of clever FFMPEG GUI?
    Yes
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Here is your subtitle, extracted with clever FFmpeg-GUI
    That's amazing, thanks a lot!!

For reference to solve future problematic files, how did you do it?

Like i said, Clever FFMPEG-GUI gave me an error, MKVCleaver struggled to even read the file (and couldn't find a subtitle track) and MKVExtractGUI2 also couldn't find anything. And FFMPEG extracted the oversized subs i mentioned in my last reply.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I think your torrent download is buggy. Download again and retry
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Unknown01 View Post

Like i said, Clever FFMPEG-GUI gave me an error
    Whats your OS? XP, vista, 7, 8 or 10?
    clever Ffmpeg-GUI needs NET Framework 4.6 to work.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by Unknown01 View Post

Like i said, Clever FFMPEG-GUI gave me an error
    Whats your OS? XP, vista, 7, 8 or 10?
    clever Ffmpeg-GUI needs NET Framework 4.6 to work.
    W7 64 bits, NET framework 4.8.

Maybe i am missing some system updates, i guess i'll have to check that later.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

No matter what i did only FFMPEG gave me subtitles but they were oversized.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I downloaded the torrent and extracted the ass subs with ffmpeg and they played normally.

ffmpeg -i testvid.mkv -c copy -testvid.ass

And they look normal in Notepad:

Code:
    [Script Info]
    Title: [Erai-raws] SHADOWS HOUSE - 02 [eng]
    ScriptType: v4.00+
    WrapStyle: 0
    PlayResX: 1280
    PlayResY: 720
    Video Zoom Percent: 1
    Scroll Position: 0
    Active Line: 0
    ScaledBorderAndShadow: yes

[V4+ Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
    Style: Default,Open Sans Semibold,45,&H00FFFFFF,&H000000FF,&H00020713,&H00000000,-1,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,1.7,0,2,10,10,25,1

[Events]
    Format: Layer, Start, End, Style, Actor, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Effect, Text
    Dialogue: 0,0:00:15.14,0:00:20.27,Default,,0,0,0,,Waking each morning, one finds\Nblack soot covering everything.
    Dialogue: 0,0:00:20.27,0:00:22.52,Default,,0,0,0,,Nightclothes are blackened.
    Dialogue: 0,0:00:24.14,0:00:26.44,Default,,0,0,0,,The bed is blackened.
    Dialogue: 0,0:00:28.44,0:00:30.98,Default,,0,0,0,,Whatever one touches...
    Dialogue: 0,0:00:33.82,0:00:36.66,Default,,0,0,0,,...gets dirty.
    Dialogue: 0,0:00:36.66,0:00:38.16,Default,,0,0,0,,Dirty.
    Quote Quote