VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am digitizing old family VHS tapes and while I understand the quality won't be that great (there are no edit features to fix brightness, contrast, etc.) it seems that every way I save it - WMV, MPEG or AVI - the audio is out of sync with the picture.

What are the best save settings?

Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Shouldn't matter if your capture device is good and Set up correctly.

Eh. Use the same video format as the original. Ntsc or pal.

Use the same frame rate. Eh ntsc = 29.97, not 30 fps. Pal = 25 fps, not 24.

If using a hardware digitizer, make sure the audio sync lock is set. (E.g. Canopus advc boxes have a switch you can set)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by myladydeb View Post
    What are the best save settings?
    The best settings using what? You've given us no information, except that you're capturing to lossy codecs that look like crap with VHS.

When you get these "best quality" questions, it seldom turns out that the user is really looking for the best. Most have no idea what the "best" VHS capture involves. http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video.htm

Or if you want to know how advanced hobbyists do it, they use the same things and methods the pros use: quality player with line tbc for precise scanline timing, external frame tbc for precise frame timing, capture device and software for capture to lossless digital media, software for cleanup and filtering/corrections, an encoder, and authoring software if desired. What’s in a Professional Video Workflow to Convert Analog Videotapes?
    Last edited by LMotlow; 3rd Feb 2020 at 16:53.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    If using a hardware digitizer, make sure the audio sync lock is set. (E.g. Canopus advc boxes have a switch you can set)
    This is myth. "Audio lock" does nothing. If you actually know about the technical specs of DV, you'll realize this is pure marketing from Canopus. I have explained this in-depth in the forum before, as have some others on other forums. The DV format does have "audio lock", but it does NOT refer to sync of audio+video, especially not from VHS. Some confused slob at the Canopus marketing dept (some 20+ years ago, when those devices were created/sold) must have thought this sounded good, without actually knowing with it refers to. Equally unknowledgeable folks keep parroting it, thus the myth doesn't fade into the scrap heap of non-facts as it should.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 11th Oct 2020 at 16:59. Reason: typo
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    Shouldn't matter if your capture device is good and Set up correctly.

Eh. Use the same video format as the original. Ntsc or pal.

Use the same frame rate. Eh ntsc = 29.97, not 30 fps. Pal = 25 fps, not 24.

Ummm...name a non-hardware based video capture device?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ummm...name a non-hardware based video capture device?
    Well, anything that requires software interaction obviously...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Ummm...name a non-hardware based video capture device?
    Well, anything that requires software interaction obviously...
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but there has to be a hardware device, internal, external or all in one, in the case of DVR/PVR/DVD recorder for the analog to digital conversion and a software codec to save and playback the captured digital signal which can be kept digital (HDMI, DVI, Displayport) until it's converted to analog for display on the analog display device.

Edit: DV and other digital formats can remain digital throughout the chain until the conversion to analog for the display. But this thread is about analog VHS.
    Last edited by lingyi; 3rd Feb 2020 at 00:14.
    Quote Quote