VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Aside from vertical blurring, what else can remove adaptive deinterlace jaggies?

Drop-frame is/was a bit easier, simple anti-aliasing needed. This specific dumb "smart" deinterlace method, not so much.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use a better deinterlacer? You've provided no sample, nor what script/deinterlacer you're using or have tried.

And sometimes the aliasing is in the source, and might remain after being deinterlaced, irrespective of the deinterlacer you use.

What to use to fix it after the fact? Maybe QTGMC in its progressive mode. But it's often too destructive of detail to use it. Or try one of the many anti-aliasing filyers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't the one who use the bad deinterlacer, and it was done more than a decade ago. Original tapes long ago tossed. So a moot aspect at this point. The damage is already done.

Nope, not in the source.

Already tried QTGMC. No help on an adaptive.

What "many anti-aliasing filyers" (fillers?) do you refer to?

Not able to share sample, and this is mostly meant as brainstorming for possible methods anyway. I have my methods, and have for many years. But I'm always learning, see what's new, seeing what I may have missed in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sometimes it helps to SeparateFields(), SelecteEven() (or odd), and nned3(dh=true). Or blend both even and odd (with appropriate line shift).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    What "many anti-aliasing filyers" (fillers?) do you refer to?
    Oops, sorry, filters. I don't use them as I don't work on anime these days and don't have to fix badly deinterlaced sources. However, take your pick:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#Anti-aliasing

Maybe try DAA or Santiag.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Sometimes it helps to SeparateFields(), SelecteEven() (or odd), and nned3(dh=true). Or blend both even and odd (with appropriate line shift).
    Will look into it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Oops, sorry, filters. I don't use them as I don't work on anime these days and don't have to fix badly deinterlaced sources. However, take your pick:
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#Anti-aliasing
    Maybe try DAA or Santiag.
    Already tried santiag(), and it works worse that AAA(). I could never get DAA() to work right, and doubt it's much different anyway.

This isn't toons.
    And I'm not really an anime fan, like maybe 10-20 at most (mostly Macross). Prefer dubs; I have books if I want to read.

I'm thinking vertical blur is still our main options, even with AA.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    This isn't toons.
    And I'm not really an anime fan, like maybe 10-20 at most (mostly Macross). Prefer dubs; I have books if I want to read.
    I did mention both anime and 'badly deinterlaced sources'. It's with anime that one reads about the most need for anti-aliasing filters. In its doc, QTGMC has examples of settings for cleaning up badly deinterlaced sources:

Progressive Input

Key Points: Can remove horizontal shimmering effects from progressive sources. Experiment with InputType=1, 2 or 3 for best results. FPS will not be doubled.
    InputType=2,3 are designed for badly deinterlaced material with considerable horizontal artefacts.

QTGMC( Preset="Slower", InputType=2, ProgSADMask=12.0 ) # Process progressive source with major artefacts, slightly favoring detail over repairs
    Quote Quote