VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted to hit a target size for a video, and to give more room for the video data I kept the same codec, AAC, but reduced the bitrate from 48Khz to 44.1Khz. The resultant audio stream is bigger than the original. For a stereo stream around 45 meg at 48Khz the 44.1Khz output was around 57 meg while a 48Khz mono stream at just over 12 meg ballooned up to over 29 meg, and yes, I checked to make sure it's still mono.

With less data per second, other settings being the same, the output should be smaller than the original.

Of course the worst part of this is I'll need to start over from the beginning, either leaving the original audio untouched, or figuring out how to get the *expected result* of fewer audio bits per second actually producing less data.

I only twigged to this when I muxed one of the 44.1Khz mono streams into a video to replace the original stream and saw the new video file was bigger than before.

When you're seeing video files come out of the digital sausage machine at the requested size, and they look good enough, you don't think that the recipe is being altered in unexpected ways.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
    I wanted to hit a target size for a video, and to give more room for the video data I kept the same codec, AAC, but reduced the bitrate from 48Khz to 44.1Khz. The resultant audio stream is bigger than the original. For a stereo stream around 45 meg at 48Khz the 44.1Khz output was around 57 meg while a 48Khz mono stream at just over 12 meg ballooned up to over 29 meg, and yes, I checked to make sure it's still mono.

With less data per second, other settings being the same, the output should be smaller than the original.

Of course the worst part of this is I'll need to start over from the beginning, either leaving the original audio untouched, or figuring out how to get the *expected result* of fewer audio bits per second actually producing less data.

I only twigged to this when I muxed one of the 44.1Khz mono streams into a video to replace the original stream and saw the new video file was bigger than before.

When you're seeing video files come out of the digital sausage machine at the requested size, and they look good enough, you don't think that the recipe is being altered in unexpected ways.
    Khz represents frequency, not bitrate

Look for something like kb/s or kbps (kilobits per second) for bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Media info before

Audio #1
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : A_AAC-2
    Duration : 48 min 12 s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -21 ms
    Title : Stereo
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Statistics Tags Issue : mkvmerge v20.0.0 ('I Am The Sun') 64-bit 2018-02-27 00:30:36 / mkvmerge v20.0.0 ('I Am The Sun') 64-bit 2018-02-27 00:30:36 / UTC 2016-06-15T20:42:11Z
    FromStats_BitRate : 128139
    FromStats_Duration : 00:48:12.159000000
    FromStats_FrameCount : 135570
    FromStats_StreamSize : 46324796

Media Info after. Note that Vidcoder doesn't include some of the data that was there originally.

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : A_AAC-2
    Duration : 48 min 12 s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy