VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to capture a poorly dubbed VHS tape into Adobe Premiere CS5 for a video art project that uses generation loss as a visual motif. At certain points on the videotape the signal gets scrambled and breaks up into static. I want to preserve this effect in the capture process but am having difficulty. I've used several capture devices, including a Toshiba DVD Recorder, Canopus ADVC-110 and Blackmagic Design Intensity Extreme, but the image goes black whenever there's any static. I know this effect can be transferred to digital because I've seen several examples on YouTube, like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDaUlRmYCc&feature=related

I've considered purchasing a time base corrector but I'm not sure which one would be best or whether it will yield the results that I want. Again, I don't want to clean up the image on the videotape. I want to retain the static and rolling image. Does anyone know what equipment I need to capture this effect? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. A TBC should definitely do the trick. The best TBC in the Biz is a Hotronic, but that's pricey. There is a small green one you can sometimes find on ebay that usually works well enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Shoot a tv with a camera.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It depends on the digital encoding hardware. Some will always mute "bad" sections like you want to capture, others will not. Using a TBC may or may not help.

This is one of those seemingly-simple puzzles you may not be able to solve quickly: it may take experimentation with different Mac encoder accessories, DVD recorders, TBCs until you hit the combination that works. If you're in a hurry to finish an art project, and don't expect you'll need to do this specific kind of "flaw capture" on a regular basis, cornucopia's suggestion to use a video camera pointed at a screen playing the flawed tape would be the quick n dirty, but guaranteed, way to do it.
    Quote Quote