VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I, too, have had the problems with FF/RW on my SVCD's burned with Nero and played on an Apex 703. The multiplexing and scan.dat solutions did not help. However, burning with a .bin file did work as predicted.

My question is this. If I burn .bin/.cue files will my SVCD's be any more or less standard/compliant than if I burn them with standard Nero SuperVideo settings? I striving to have the most generally compliant SVCD's possible to help guard against future incompatibility problems. This is more important to me than having the FF/RW function as the GOTO function works on my Nero SuperVideo burns.

Thoughts?

Good luck
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do understand your problem - the answer however is somewhat problematic though.

SVCD has never really been clearly defined. First there was VCD1.0 and VCD 2.0 - which we now generally call VCD. Then VCD 3.0 was standardized by the Chinese(we would call it SVCD nowadays). Later Philips took VCD 3.0 made a few changes and called it SVCD (this too we call SVCD). I think the whole SVCD standardisation has to do with money, royalties etc. Everyone does his own thing. So your wish to make a SVCD that will work everywhere is difficult as you can see. Thinking what's going on now you have DVD's you buy in shops - playable with all DVD Players. Suddenly they developed DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM, then DVD-R(W) came along, and wooops it's not playable in all DVD Players. Now they are developing DVD+R(W) which is meant to be 100% compatible with all players (I believe it when I see it!!). The days where things were much easier are unfortunately fading. Soon we'll be having 10 different DVD versions, cause someone wants to be the dominant one (remember VHS, Betamax, Video2000?)

I don't know if this has helped you somewhat? Or just confused you more?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aldus4 on 2001-07-04 16:40:55 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi aldus4

Thanks for your response. I see what you mean. I knew it was a mess, but I figure eventually something will emerge as dominate....maybe. Anyway, given that there really isn't a clear "standard", which of the burning methods seems to be most friendly? Are there any opinions from those of you who know the technicals about how compatible these two methods might be down the road?

TIA
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think if you are talking about the video quality (something you can later rip off the CD-R's you are making today) they are the same. The extras such as "SCANDATA.DAT","SEARCH.DAT" etc. are the things that usually differ. Of course, to be on the safe side you could make 2 of every SVCD
    Quote Quote