VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am running the last supported 32 bit version of VidCoder, version 2.64.

The problem is I regularly get failures in VidCoder when converting video files.

I recently started running Task Manager when running VidCoder to check what is going on and noticed that when Free RAM was exhausted VidCoder would fail the current conversion.

Should VidCoder be failing when memory is exhausted?

Is there a better way VidCoder should be managing the memory resource so that it does not end the conversion in error or is there something I can do to invoke something that prevents the conversion from failing?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What OS and how much RAM do you have?
    If you have 32 bit OS, presumably you have 4GB of Ram or less.

Thanks not enough RAM for working with 4k resolution videos. I doubt if any encoder will handle this situation gracefully
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I am running Windows 10 with 4Gb RAM.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To increase your chances of success, close all other apps when the encoder is running
    Quote Quote  
  5. How much space have you on your hard drive(s) and how big is your windows swap file?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    To increase your chances of success, close all other apps when the encoder is running
    Yes that is what I am having to do, just thought that VidCoder could handle the low on memory problem better without failing the encode.
    Last edited by fbagnato; 3rd May 2019 at 22:47.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    How much space have you on your hard drive(s) and how big is your windows swap file?

I have about 50Gb free space and the size of the Windows Swap File is 9216MB.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What type of video are you working with? 50Gb doesn't sound much for HD work and, I'd say, borderline for SD video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by fbagnato View Post
    I recently started running Task Manager when running VidCoder to check what is going on and noticed that when Free RAM was exhausted VidCoder would fail the current conversion.
    A program crashes when the system runs out of ram? I'll call Ripley's.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Unless you are working with 4K video or larger Vidcoder shouldn't be using much memory. Around 1 GB when working with 1920x1080 video, 1/4 that when working with SD video.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    What type of video are you working with? 50Gb doesn't sound much for HD work and, I'd say, borderline for SD video.
    I am transferring single layer DVD ISOs recorded on my Panasonic Blu-ray/DVD Recorder.

The source recordings would be from either SD, but mainly HD TV transmissions.

How much hard drive space could it possibly need for a single layer DVD of data??

I have done a purge and archive of my hard drive files so I now have 146Gb Free.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Originally Posted by fbagnato View Post
    A program crashes when the system runs out of ram? I'll call Ripley's.
    The point is shouldn't VidCoder warn when it is running out of memory, not just fail the conversion?

I only knew it was running out of memory because I started monitoring it with Task Manager.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Unless you are working with 4K video or larger Vidcoder shouldn't be using much memory. Around 1 GB when working with 1920x1080 video, 1/4 that when working with SD video.
    I can confirm this from monitoring Task Manager, VidCoder is using around 240Mb RAM.

I was always running VidCoder with many other programs open so I could keep working on my computer whilst encoding.

Lately to avoid failed conversions I have been running VidCoder overnight with no other programs open.

This is not the preferred solution as I would like to run VidCoder in parallel with other running programs.
    Last edited by fbagnato; 8th May 2019 at 02:37.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I am running Windows 10 32-Bit.

Thanks for the info.

It's not reaching 2Gb of RAM for the VidCoder process, instead hovering around 240Mb, but as I have lots of other programs running at the same time the total free memory is exhausted and thereby the conversion is failing part way through.

I wanted to know if there was a way of tweaking VidCoder so that it wouldn't fail yet still allow me to run it alongside other running programs so that I can use my computer at the same time that a conversion is running.
    Quote Quote