VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been trying to use virtualdub lately to edit tv shows and remove the commercials. I know that you can use the 2 buttons on the bottom to select which part of the video to save, but can I do this to select multiple parts that aren't connected? I've tried holding down control or alt but that doesnt let you select more than one part either. Would I have to save out all the parts individually (I guess I could batch them all to encode at the end) and then join all of the parts together?

I have read almost all the virtualdub articles on the site but have still not found an easy way to do this yet. Can someone please let me know if there is a faster way, or if there is a guide that I might have missed?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Instead of selecting the sections you want to save, select the sections you want to delete and simply press the delete key on your keyboard. You then select the next commercial break and do the same until all that is left is what you want. Then select Direct Stream for both the audio and video tabs and save as a new avi file and you are done. 5 to 10 min max.
    No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space.
    Quote Quote  
  3. great thanks. i knew there was an easier way.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No prob
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The other thing to note is that you can use the --> and <-- keys to move one frame at a time or Alt + --> to move 50 frames at a time. This might be a bit more accurate than just using the slider.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer Womble to do that, but I'm editing with mpeg 2.
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the tips. Using the Alt -> is alot easier. I was just wondering is there a keyboard button I can press to set the left and right parts of the cut. It's kind of annoying everytime I have to use the mouse to click on the button since I just use the keyboard now to find the right spot. Might save me about 20 seconds of editing time
    Quote Quote  
  8. I haven't used the keyboard to set the mark ins and outs, however, a click on "Edit" from the menu shows "Home" to mark the in point, and "End" to mark the out point. Give it a shot and see if it works
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah,

<- and -> to move L/R one frame at a time.
    PageUp to move L 50 frames at once.
    PageDown to move R 50 frames at once.
    Home to mark the beginning of a cut.
    End to mark the end of a cut.
    Delete to "delete" the marked portion.

I drag the slider over the actual show (between commercials) just to jump faster, since it's blatantly obvious when you reach a commercial break.
    Quote Quote