VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys, someone drove into our parked cars outside our apartment at late night and then run away causing a lot damages to our cars, my security camera captured everything but haven’t got the clearer license plate. Unfortunately police here is not interested in the case
    Can anyone help to identify the license plate of the black hatchback car drove into us in the video please? And maybe make the suspect woman's face clearer as well? I would like to offer $100 rewards to whoever successfully identified the license plate. Many thanks
    Here’s the link to the video https://youtu.be/XBm4ZzQ9uoY
    For example in the UK the number plate is in this format with both numbers and letters:

Quote Quote  
  2. Sorry. There is not even close to enough information in those videos to tell anything about the license plate number. A blank plate would look the same as what you have in the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Youtube reencodes all uploaded videos losing a lot of detail. The video you uploaded probably has more detail but given the bad lighting, poor exposure, and oblique angles, I doubt there's enough to make out the license plate. If you can almost read the license plate in a shot someone might be able to enhance it enough to make it readable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I can tell that someone somewhere was driving a car and didn’t know how to back up the same way they came in. That’s about it. Best course of action is to do some door to door recon and see who had a late night visitor.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    I can tell that someone somewhere was driving a car and didn’t know how to back up the same way they came in. That’s about it. Best course of action is to do some door to door recon and see who had a late night visitor.
    we knew whom should this visitor related to, but they dont admit they had a visitor and just try to cover her up reported to the police and been more than a month they havent done anything
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check with all your neighbors and see if anyone has a better security cam than you and footage of the incident.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    check with all your neighbors and see if anyone has a better security cam than you and footage of the incident.
    only we have cameras in the whole apartment and the cctv on the main street only keep their footages for 28 days before override in the uk, only police can view the footages from the main public street cctv but they not intrested
    Quote Quote  
  8. anyone know any other professional video enhance or editing forum I can maybe post and try? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Nobody is going to get a license plate number from that video. The blown out brights and loss of detail from compression have eliminated any possibility of it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Nobody is going to get a license plate number from that video. The blown out brights and loss of detail from compression have eliminated any possibility of it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rakuten View Post
    anyone know any other professional video enhance or editing forum I can maybe post and try? thanks
    take the footage to your local police dept and have them look at it, they'd have better
    tools that can get license plate numbers from worser videos
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    anyone know any other professional video enhance or editing forum I can maybe post and try? thanks
    take the footage to your local police dept and have them look at it, they'd have better
    I reported to them the next day after this happended, and they just close the case yesterday said they cant trace the person whom damaged my car without number plate and proof, police here is useless
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Maybe, but they have MUCH more pressing things to do. That's the reality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I reported to them the next day after this happended, and they just close the case yesterday said they cant trace the person whom damaged my car without number plate and proof, police here is useless
    Their tools actually aren't that much better than what is generally available, and given what you showed us here, I'm not surprised at all that they couldn't do anything with it. Since they have no other evidence, what would you expect them to do?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. There has to be something there to enhance. At the very minimum, you need to be able to see individual "blobs" where each letter or number occur. Your video has nothing there, and therefore no software in the world can do anything with nothing.

I've posted the following link many times here, but I think the OP needs to watch it. His expectations (along with many other people) are set by the enhancement fictions promulgated by Hollywood thriller movies. This clip does a great job of showing how, in service of the plot line, the nerd character manages to create total FM ("Friggin Magic") out of absolutely nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk

I do video and film restoration for a living, and the "enhancements" shown in the film clips in this link are 100% fiction.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason for my post above is that in the big scheme of things this probably isn't worth time the police spent on it. Property damage only, on private property. I don't know what the laws are where the OP is, but in Hawaii, since we have no fault auto and the damage is probably less then $3000, the police may not even bother with it at all.

The best the OP can hope for is to take it to small claims court, though the likelihood of winning is virtually nil.

We should have an auto response for posts asking for license plate info: "CSI IS NOT REAL!"
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    see if anyone has a better security cam than you
    Better?
    It's some of the best security camera footage (I've seen). There's so much detail in the actual 360p video - across the street you can see individual leaves in the hedge - I wouldn't be surprised if the original was HD.
    Looking at the verticals esp. on the rear view, it appears the security cameras utilise very wide angle - almost fish eye - lenses. Eurgh!
    Last edited by mike20021969; 7th Jun 2019 at 01:41.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing is, being only property damage, even if the plate was clearly visible, what does that prove? Only that the vehicle in question was involved. What if the owner of the car claims they weren't the driver? Unless they're clearly visible, they could claim they weren't driving the car or the car was taken by someone without their knowledge. Again, small potatoes on the criminal justice scale.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just remembered. Years ago, a couple of people were siphoning gas from the company trucks. The surveillance videos were given directly by the landlord to the police and even though they could make out the faces of the guys who did it, their response was, "Better get some locking gas caps.". Just as well since we suspected it was a couple of workers who were doing it.
    Quote Quote