VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For all my Canadian friends, I bought a pack of Precision branded DVD-R discs at the local dollar shop (Dollarrama) to use as test discs for some video compilation burns. Much to my surprise, IMG Burn identifies them as MCC 03RG20, same as my Verbatims. Now I'm sure these are seconds or rejects from the Verbatim factory, but for $3.00 Canadian for 10 they could make a good little disc for minor projects, and even as seconds should be better than any CMC disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is just a manufactor's code.

Nothing to do with Verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it is a manufacturer's code or media code. The same code as you find on the "GOOD" Verbatim discs that everyone recommends. It is the code for Mitsubishi Chemicals, Mitsubishi-Kagaku Media, (Verbatim), and according to long time forum member Lord Smurf, the best discs to buy. So it means a lot.

As I said in my original post, I'm not sure if these are factory seconds or even fakes, but was very interested in seeing them sold in this way.

I plan on burning a couple in a day or so, so I'll let every one know how things turn out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Further update.

DVD Identifier gave me this: Manufacturer -- Mitsubshi Chemical Corp.
    Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20

The discs look and feel like the Verbatims I have (with the same code), only difference is that instead of Verbatim on the disc, they say Precision. So as of now, I'm accepting that I got 10 VErbatim quality discs for $3.00 Canadian (This does work out to $30.00 per 100 about the regular cost of Verbatims anyway.) Currently 100 AZO Verbatims are $29.99 on Amazon.

Not sure if the next 10 pack I buy will be the same code or not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Regor21 View Post
    For all my Canadian friends, I bought a pack of Precision branded DVD-R discs at the local dollar shop (Dollarrama) to use as test discs for some video compilation burns. Much to my surprise, IMG Burn identifies them as MCC 03RG20, same as my Verbatims. Now I'm sure these are seconds or rejects from the Verbatim factory, but for $3.00 Canadian for 10 they could make a good little disc for minor projects, and even as seconds should be better than any CMC disc.
    Off-brand DVDs sometimes use an MID code from a popular product made by another company. That does not mean that the other company had anything to do with the DVDs in question. The code stamped on the inner hub is supposed to be a more reliable indicator for identifying the manufacturer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim are like Kellogs.

"We do not make disks for anyone else"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's just use of a fake media ID.
    Nothing new here.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote