VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few jumpy VHS tapes that I need to capture and edit. I used to do this a long time ago and had bought a Canopus ADVC100. It served me well. However, I used to use Final Cut Pro 7 but that's been buggy since I updated to Sierra.

Final Cut Pro 10 keeps breaking the imported video into multiple clips at a timecode break. Premiere CC stops capturing when there's a timecode break. I don't see any settings that can solve my problem. QuickTime Player does the same thing.

So I'm looking for a reliable piece of Mac software that can capture video from firewire and ignore the timecode breaks. (And keep the audio/video sync'ed.)

Any recommendations? Or any help on making Premiere or FCP 10 ignore the breaks? Or fixing FCP7?

In other words...help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Handle it in the hardware domain with a frame synchronizer (a.k.a. "TBC"), either standalone or built into a DVD recorder such as the Panasonic DMR-ES10/15. This will send an unbroken stream of analog frames to your DV converter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate the response. But I've got 15 video tapes to capture for home use and the frame synchronizers I'm seeing are all over $500. After those 15 VHS tapes are done, I'm tossing my VCR as I'll never need it again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You should have looked up the brand and model numbers JVRaines mentioned, and not' TBC'. Those expensive ones have the wrong kind of TBC from what you need. On the other hand, here's a DMR-ES10 for a good deal less:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-DMR-ES10-DVD-VIDEO-RECORDER-EXC-WORKING-DVD-RAM-R-RW...0AAOSwOdpXxi~p

And I agree, it's much better to fix this when capturing rather than beating your head against a wall trying to make your software programs work with broken video streams.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But it's still another piece of equipment to buy for 15 video tapes.

I need a software solution.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Use a Windows PC and WinDV to capture. Or take the tapes to Costco and see if they can turn them into DVDs for you, since you don't care about the resulting quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. Ok.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    That was a bit harsh. Since you don't want to spend any money, though, you will have to try to get a Windows app like WinDV to run under Wine. Unless you have a Windows virtual machine already installed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, it was.

I've got Parallels running. I'll give WinDV a shot. If that doesn't work, I'll bite the bullet and go your route. Can always sell the recorder later.

Thank you, JVRaines, for your help. I appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I just scored one of the aforementioned DVD recorders for under $50 on eBay. Sometimes you can get one cheap if the optical drive has conked out but the electronics are still working.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the optical drive has conked out, doesn't that defeat the purpose, though?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    No, because all you want to do is run the signal through the player. One cable from VCR to DVDR, another cable from DVDR to ADVC100.
    Quote Quote