1. Hi,
    I want to do the following
    - Take a 4K UHD .mkv
    - keep the video tack as is
    - keep all audio tracks as is
    - add a new track , converting the DTS track (or DTS-HD) to AC-3
    - keep the subtitle tracks as is
    - output to an .mkv again
    I used the Popcorn AudioConverter since it basically has a 1 button option , but I can't get it to work anymore.
    The forum seems to be riddled with solutions that no longer work.

Could someone advise on a tool that
    - is maintained
    - does the job
    and share the correct settings ?
    Thx,
    D.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Load your file, main, convert audio stream, select your DTS stream, continue, encode to AC3, set the bitrate you like, leave all the other settings as they are, click on convert.
    If done, click on multiplex, your new created ac3 file is already loaded, click Add Stream, select your original file again, leave all streams selected, click target file, accept (or change) the proposed filename, click on multiplex, done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Altho' no longer developed Popcorn MKV Audio converter does the job in situ. https://www.videohelp.com/software/PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter Probably many other programs available to do it as well.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also you can load the mkv into audacity and output to 5.1/2.1/2.0 ac3 and then mux the ac3 to the mkv with mkvmerge.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AviDemux or MKVToolNix in combination with Audacity as johns0 said.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The advantage of Popcorn MKV Audio converter is it does it in situ, ie one process. But the program does need a few helper programs installed, easily downloaded or from the authors site.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    The advantage of Popcorn MKV Audio converter is it does it in situ, ie one process. But the program does need a few helper programs installed, easily downloaded or from the authors site.
    Unfortunately this tool doesn't work for me anymore on Win 10 with High DPI monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Use clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Load your file, main, convert audio stream, select your DTS stream, continue, encode to AC3, set the bitrate you like, leave all the other settings as they are, click on convert.
    If done, click on multiplex, your new created ac3 file is already loaded, click Add Stream, select your original file again, leave all streams selected, click target file, accept (or change) the proposed filename, click on multiplex, done.
    Thx , this worked quite well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Also you can load the mkv into audacity and output to 5.1/2.1/2.0 ac3 and then mux the ac3 to the mkv with mkvmerge.
    good solution also indeed. Thx.
    Quote Quote