VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all.

I'm trying to reduce the fps of a video that is suppose to be at 23.976 fps but the streaming service has made it at 29.97 fps. Is there a way to reduce the fps without re-encoding ?

I've tried mp4box but for an unknown reason it give me the good ftp but with a slower (In length).

Is there another way ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I just made a few test with MKVtoolnix and set the default duration/fps to (24000/1001) and my file goes from 21.34 min (at 29.97 fps) to 26.58 min (at 23.976 fps), same thing as mp4box
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it's possible to do this with out reencoding the file
    Quote Quote  
  4. You could try IVTC (inverse telecine) to restore the original 23.976 fps, but this will reencode your video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ffmpeg can fix this easily, but not without reencoding.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf decimate -acodec copy -scodec copy -map 0 output.mp4
    Last edited by Luke M; 19th Jun 2022 at 06:33.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by kalemvar1 View Post
    I just made a few test with MKVtoolnix and set the default duration/fps to (24000/1001) and my file goes from 21.34 min (at 29.97 fps) to 26.58 min (at 23.976 fps), same thing as mp4box
    You can't decimate the video without re-encoding. Changing the frame rate the way you are is just telling the player to play the video slower, hence the longer running time.
    Quote Quote