VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Could do with some advice. I've been authoring basic DVD's for some time but as the TV programs have been available on HD channels this year I have upgraded to a new Windows Media Center PC and this has been happily creating wtv files which I plan to write to Blu Ray.

I've come to realise what a complete a*se wtv file actually are and my usual go-to software of TMPGenc just couldn't read the soundtrack. I eventually found VideoRedo which could do something with the files which leads me to two questions.

a) I'm working on the assumption that I will have to run the files through VideoRedo in order to get the streams to be read in some authoring software but can someone recommend the best output file format that will keep the best quality - .ts, .mkv...

b) Secondly, can someone recommend some Blu Ray authoring software, hopefully free but definately this side of $100 that will ideally allow wtv files to be handled without going through VideoRedo and enable some simple menus to be created?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try AutoDVRConvert: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/325139-WTV-remux-to-MPG to convert to a more usable format.

For simple authoring, multiAVCHD may work. If you need a more complex authoring program, a few here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-bd-hd-dvd
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you have it set up to do so, normally VideoReDo does NOT re-encode your input file. So it doesn't really matter what you save it in. TS might be fairly easy to work with and use as input for whatever authoring program you use. MKV is just a container so it has no effect on quality. I'd stick to either MPG, TS or MKV if it was me. Anyway, the output should be identical in quality to the input, just minus whatever you edited out.

I've had issues with mutliAVCHD and while it is fantastic for most people, I have an odd ball BluRay player (Momitsu) that simply cannot play anything multiAVCHD can make. If you can live without menus I've had some success with tsMuxer.
    Quote Quote