VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. hello everyone ,
    i was purchased Camcorder Sony DCR-TRV320 NTSC from eBay to Transfer my all Tape cassette, and also i purchased from Amazon ClearClick Video to Digital Converter , so now when i play Tape cassette it was displaying blue but when i press forward i can see some of video show but with grayscale with horizontal , so i was think maybe the camcorder need clean , so i have purchased Sony V8-25CLD 8mm / Hi8 / Digital8 Camcorder Video Head Cleaning but also same issue .
    all my Tape Cassette has been recorded from 1993 until 2004 and the Camcorder was used for Record was Sharp , Model number : VL-MX98E-GY
    I do not know where is the wrong I have, probably from Camcorder? or from the Tape cassette.
    if it’s from Camcorder so can anyone advise me which Camcorder I should purchase, and it will be compatible with my Tape cassette.

[Attachment 57627 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 57628 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 57629 - Click to enlarge]

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqBMd44WYovWhNsEYZiu1rSHv4lDzw?e=UmJdI4

many thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. What country are you from ?
    2. Does the tape show video on the camera screen ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    1. What country are you from ?
    2. Does the tape show video on the camera screen ?
    A1- Bahrain

A2- nope , its not showing , but if i press forward from Camcorder it can just see but with but with grayscale with horizontal , so its mean the video its not clear ,
    still i don't know if Camcorder its not compatible with Tape cassette or what is the wrong .

i really want to Transfer all my old Tape cassette to my PC i don't want lost them .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you certain that the tapes were originally recorded on a NTSC camcorder ?

It appears that Bahrain was a PAL country.

You can try to set PAL in the capture software and ensure that you have all other settings correct.

Edit:

What capture software are you using. Or is this capture device one that does not require a PC. There seems to be two kinds of 'ClearClick'
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Are you certain that the tapes were originally recorded on a NTSC camcorder ?

It appears that Bahrain was a PAL country.

You can try to set PAL in the capture software and ensure that you have all other settings correct.

Edit:

What capture software are you using. Or is this capture device one that does not require a PC. There seems to be two kinds of 'ClearClick'
    i am confusing if it was pal or NTSC , but if you see the picture its was showing that Camcorder its PAL .

i am not using any software , i was purchased ClearClick from Amazon , here are the Link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V9JNRZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so this device can play back the Tape you have and saving in Flash Drive .

as i know now that Camcorder i was haven on 1993 its Pal so if i want now to Play Back my Tape cassette i should found Camcorder from Ebay and it should be Pal , its the correct ?!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There should be some setting with that ClearClick as to whether the source is NTSC or PAL. In the UK we can play NTSC tapes (but maybe not 8mm tapes) on PAL equipment. But I do no think PAL tapes can be played on NTSC equipment.

I could not see any indication on that picture if the camera was PAL. Does it not work any more ?

But surely you would have known especially if indeed there is some indication on the old camera. So why buy a NTSC camcorder ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    There should be some setting with that ClearClick as to whether the source is NTSC or PAL. In the UK we can play NTSC tapes (but maybe not 8mm tapes) on PAL equipment. But I do no think PAL tapes can be played on NTSC equipment.

I could not see any indication on that picture if the camera was PAL. Does it not work any more ?

But surely you would have known especially if indeed there is some indication on the old camera. So why buy a NTSC camcorder ?
    there no setting can do that , its only if you want to keep S-video or AV

[Attachment 57634 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 57635 - Click to enlarge]

the old Camcorder that i was recording on 1993 was 8 PAL , here are the link of Camcorder

//imged.com/sharp-vl-mx98e-gy-vl-mx98e-twin-lens-system-camcorder-video-camera-japan-54541865.html

[Attachment 57636 - Click to enlarge]

in fact i was not keep in my mind if its PAL or NTSC , i was not have experience in that but now i got some information from you .
    the Sony Camcorder DCR-TRV320 i was purchased before 1 year i was not keep in my mind if its PAL or NTSC .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just how many tapes do you have ? I appreciate that you have spent money on that capture device. It might have been more beneficial to have asked about that before buying since it is quite limited. You may be better served if you only have a handful of tapes to outsource a transfer service in the UK or Europe eg Germany (not France)

I see a mixture of 8mm and Hi8. So you would not require a high-end camera as you acquired as NTSC which also supports Digital8. Most of these appear to be PAL

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hi8+camcorder&_sacat=0&_pgn=2

Shipping costs will be really expensive though.

Maybe shipping from the US will be less but you will probably not see many PAL camcorders listed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Could possibly be that your tapes are MESECAM, Is the camcorder you have now is the original that recorded the tapes, I can't quite understand from your English if bought a new camcorder or you just bought the capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Yaqoob View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

the old Camcorder that i was recording on 1993 was 8 PAL , here are the link of Camcorder

//imged.com/sharp-vl-mx98e-gy-vl-mx98e-twin-lens-system-camcorder-video-camera-japan-54541865.html

in fact i was not keep in my mind if its PAL or NTSC , i was not have experience in that but now i got some information from you .
    the Sony Camcorder DCR-TRV320 i was purchased before 1 year i was not keep in my mind if its PAL or NTSC .
    try connecting the camera to the S video input on the clear click video converter device - http://www.clearclicksoftware.com/Manuals/Video2Digital2.pdf
    see page 22
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Could possibly be that your tapes are MESECAM, Is the camcorder you have now is the original that recorded the tapes, I can't quite understand from your English if bought a new camcorder or you just bought the capture device.

Surely not. Mesecam is/was IIRC a quasi broadcast standard and not a camcorder recording one.

The OP would surely have originally played the tapes from the camcorder to the tv. The broadcast standard for Bahrain was PAL hence my opinion on the nature of the tapes.

The only slight doubt I have is what is the normal result in playing a PAL tape on NTSC equipment (no picture, nlue/green screen etc) - I know the reverse scenario.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    MESECAM was not a broadcast standard, It was a home recording format where a SECAM chroma signal is recorded with PAL scheme, I just wasn't sure if it ever existed in camcorders and you're right, now that I remember, camcorders only recorded official formats PAL/NTSC/SECAM.

Anyway he is clearly using the wrong camcorder for his PAL tapes, NTSC camcorders don't playback any format other than NTSC.

To the OP, By the way I do speak 3 languages Arabic among them, the first tape says Syria with the family, The other says Fatima, Ameur, Amran.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 4th Mar 2021 at 02:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ I did say 'quasi' and, yes, a means of recording the SECAM signal for playback on PAL.

But thanks for the heads up about the effect of PAL tapes on NTSC equipment. Still can not get my head around why he bought a NTSC camcorder. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it is better to ask first.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Yaqoob View Post
    I see no indication that the device supports PAL. "Resolution: SD 720x480" indicates NTSC only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ I thought that also. But the Q+A from the manuf over at Amazing did appear to confirm that a PAL source will work.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just how many tapes do you have ? I appreciate that you have spent money on that capture device. It might have been more beneficial to have asked about that before buying since it is quite limited. You may be better served if you only have a handful of tapes to outsource a transfer service in the UK or Europe eg Germany (not France)

I see a mixture of 8mm and Hi8. So you would not require a high-end camera as you acquired as NTSC which also supports Digital8. Most of these appear to be PAL

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hi8+camcorder&_sacat=0&_pgn=2

Shipping costs will be really expensive though.

Maybe shipping from the US will be less but you will probably not see many PAL camcorders listed.
    in fact i have dozens of Video8 tapes in PAL format.

yeah , i am trying to find in Ebay , the Camcorder DCR-TRV 320 NTSC i purchased from Ebay before 1 year it was cost me $290
    i try to find outsource a transfer service from US before 3 weeks , but as i say i have many Tapes , so it will be expensive for me .
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    i don't know what means MESECAM but i will search about to know whats means .
    the Sharp camcorder its the original one that i recorded , now this camcorder its not working , so i purchased from Ebay Sony DCR-TRV320 NTSC to i can play back and Transfer all my Tapes to PC but as i got information that camcorder NTSC can't play back the Pal
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

try connecting the camera to the S video input on the clear click video converter device - http://www.clearclicksoftware.com/Manuals/Video2Digital2.pdf
    see page 22
    i have do that already but unfortunately it didn't all I got was a blue screen in the LCD monitor
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post

Surely not. Mesecam is/was IIRC a quasi broadcast standard and not a camcorder recording one.

The OP would surely have originally played the tapes from the camcorder to the tv. The broadcast standard for Bahrain was PAL hence my opinion on the nature of the tapes.

The only slight doubt I have is what is the normal result in playing a PAL tape on NTSC equipment (no picture, nlue/green screen etc) - I know the reverse scenario.
    after your post , i try to search and found more option to i can solve the problem before i purchase another camcorder

https://www.avforums.com/threads/video-8-ntsc-tapes-with-pal-camcorder.1085745/
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    MESECAM was not a broadcast standard, It was a home recording format where a SECAM chroma signal is recorded with PAL scheme, I just wasn't sure if it ever existed in camcorders and you're right, now that I remember, camcorders only recorded official formats PAL/NTSC/SECAM.

Anyway he is clearly using the wrong camcorder for his PAL tapes, NTSC camcorders don't playback any format other than NTSC.

To the OP, By the way I do speak 3 languages Arabic among them, the first tape says Syria with the family, The other says Fatima, Ameur, Amran.
    i am speaking 5 language , English , Arabic , Persian , Indian , Chinese
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I see no indication that the device supports PAL. "Resolution: SD 720x480" indicates NTSC only.
    the device its just support you to can transfer your tapes , but really this device its good , now i just need to buy another camcorder ( PAL ) to i can transfer my Tapes
    Quote Quote  
  22. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes you definitely need a PAL camcorder, The above link is for DV tapes, You have analog tapes, different situation, Don't buy from ebay USA, Buy from Europe, the shipping will be much cheaper to Bahrain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. It is NOT the same issue. That topic referred to DV tape. And there was no confirmation that it did work. Ignore the comments about the banned poster. He wrote total rubbish.

And reply #6 is more relevant

"You may not be able to get analog output on a NTSC camera with a PAL tape"

So, if you do not want to explore the outsourcing option, your only option is to get a PAL camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  24. thanks for to support .
    i have found camcorder ( PAL ) from russia its cheap price , i am going to buy

this is the camcorder
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	57649  

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l160000.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	57650  

Quote Quote  
  25. if there is any advice please inform me before i purchased the camcorder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Link to seller ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You do realise that you can not immediately buy this. It is an auction and there are already 2 bids in. There may even be 'Shell Bidding' to bump up the final price.

I did not see any mention of an a/v cable which would have been originally supplied and essential for viewing/transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You do realise that you can not immediately buy this. It is an auction and there are already 2 bids in. There may even be 'Shell Bidding' to bump up the final price.

I did not see any mention of an a/v cable which would have been originally supplied and essential for viewing/transfer.
    yes i know , i have contact the seller and i inform him regarding my bids , if i win so that's fine , if not so i will try to find another one .

the camcorder have S-video and that its more important to me

here are the video for camcorder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4NFZpsgQm4
    Quote Quote