VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Hi Alex

I used splitter first. I tried to burn the *.CD but it didn't work. Is there a way to do that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. There's always a way, we just have to find it ...

But seriously, There might be a way I'm working on it now...

I'll keep you posted...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Gear no longer exists? Someone better tell the guys down in Florida and in the Netherlands their company no longer exists!

RF

Quote Quote  
  4. CDRWin is a no go. No support for scrambled sectors. Writing in Raw mode might work, but I couldn't test it because my burner doesn't support it.

RF
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thats right, and NO, RAW mode won't help, BUT, Robbin told me an extrordinary thing today, it turnes out, that you can compile a Toolkit project in an non-Scrambled mode... Problems's solved

"Here's something I just discovered, if you build your disc image as normal,
    then load the file ?.msc into notepad and change the first line to:

options: -vcd2 -s

then save, and then right click it and change properties to read-only. Now
    build the project again in VCDTK2 and it will build an unscrambled image.
    Maybe this will help writing with other writers? If you know what you're
    doing, you can add files and things to the .msc

Remember to uncheck ?.msc read-only if you want to modify the project with
    VCDTK2."
    Quote Quote  
  6. You know, you can add it to your guide;
    "How to add aditional files to the project?"

P.S. What's youe name?
    Quote Quote  
  7. You know, you can add it to your guide;
    "How to add aditional files to the project?"

P.S. What's your name?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oh man, I've been testing it all night, and Nothing!
    Using CDRwin / WinOnCD in Scrambled / Non-Scrambled mode, I still get the first track as an Audio...

What is the difference between Scrambled and Non-scrambled, and do you know why is the Data track comes out like an Audio Track???
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hmm. I seem to have missed a lot while I was away for the weekend.

I seem to recall that all data on a CD is scrambled before recording for physical media reasons. Modems do this to prevent troublesome modulation patterns, so it might serve the same purpose on a CD. The difference between scrambled and non-scrambled mode is whether the data has already been scrambled, or whether it needs to be scrambled during the recording process.

How did you find the "-s" option? Was that documented somewhere, or did you just start digging through the configuration settings?

Gotta' do some catching up!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Alex,

I figured out how to burn the unscrambled tracks in both CDRWin AND Nero. Check your email. Hopefully Robin can modify TOCSplit to do all of the heavy lifting.

As for the .msc file, there is a way to rebuild a custom image without having to make the .msc file read only. The VCDMaster program is a GUI front end to the Toolkit image compiler. Edit the .msc file with notepad, then load it into VCDMaster. VCDMaster will create new .toc/.cd files, but won't overwrite the .msc file.

Download and install VCDMaster into your VCD2TK directory.

http://www.icdia.org/cdprosupport/files/pc/vcdmastr.exe

RF
    Quote Quote  
  11. As Robin suggested, pregaps are the problem. Both CDRWin and Nero add a two-second pregap to the beginning of every first track. However, since VCD2TK already includes pregaps in the .cd image, the the extra 150 sectors added by CDRWin and/or Nero push the Primary Volume Descriptor (PVD) out to logical sector 166. ISO9660 specifies the PVD to be in sector 16.

One fix is to strip off the first 150 sectors from either the .cd image file or TOCSplit's TRACK01 by using the splitter utility. Load either .cd image file or TRACK01 into splitter, then use sector 150 as the starting sector for the second track. Hit enter twice. The file will be split into data_trk, which is the pregap, and Track_2, which is now a pregapless first track or image.

Here is the .CUE file created by TOCSplit on my unscrambled .cd file:

T:\TRACK01 XA 2352S +P:150
    T:\TRACK02 XA 2352S +P:150
    T:\TRACK03 DA +P:225
    T:\TRACK04 DA +P:150
    T:\TRACK05 DA +P:150

TOCSplit needs to be able to recognize that the image is unscrambled and drop the "2352S" in the .cue file for unscrambled XA tracks. I believe XA defaults to 2352. (I suspect Robin is already working on a fix.)

Here is a cuesheet file which works for both CDRWin AND Nero using a pregapless first track, created by Splitter, and the other tracks created by TOCSplit:

FILE T:\TRACK_2 BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    FILE T:\TRACK02 BINARY
    TRACK 02 MODE2/2352
    FILE T:\TRACK03 BINARY
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
    FILE T:\TRACK04 BINARY
    TRACK 04 AUDIO
    FILE T:\TRACK05 BINARY
    TRACK 05 AUDIO

RF

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RFontenot on 2001-08-14 14:44:05 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  12. RF,
    I know about VCDMaster...
    Remember sometime ago, I asked you if you know how to change the volumelabel in the project. You didn't know, So I digged alittle and found out about it...
    I suggested Robin a nice, decarative way to add the support for CDRwin and Nero to the TOCSplit...

tacosalad,
    Hi, welcome back. How was the weekend?
    About -s found out a friend of mine. But there's a list of all the options for the *.MSC. Now, there's a way to burn the Project with CDRwin / NERO. Besides the Scrambled problem, there was an aditional problem with Pregaps...

I tryed for acouple of days to add CD-TEXT, but I failed. If you succed let me know
    Quote Quote  
  13. Alex,

I'm glad you were able to figure out for yourself how to change the volume label. Be sure to let other's know when you learn something new. That way we all benefit, just as we all benefit from Robin's discovery of the -s option to unscramble VCD2TK images.

While I know you asked Robin to add support for CDRWin, unscrambling the .cd image isn't enough. Gear is a sophisticated program that has options and capabilities that neither CDRWin or Nero have.

The track images have to be modifed in order to overcome the limitations of CDRWin and Nero. The information I sent Robin should allow him to program into TOCSplit the modifications needed. I still plan to use Gear, but hopefully others can use modifed images with CDRWin and Nero without any problems.

In any case, Alex, thanks for starting such a great thread! A lot of good info for VCD2TK users has come out of it!

RF

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RFontenot on 2001-08-14 22:02:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RFontenot on 2001-08-14 23:00:24 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  14. tacosalad's explanation is very accurate.

On a pressed CD, the pits represent 0 bits, while the edges of the pit represent 1 bits. Too many 0 to 1 and 1 to 0 bit transitions will create a lot of small pits, which can increase errors. A number of methods are used to decrease these transitions, and thus, reduce the number of small pits.

Scrambling is one of those methods. It is a mathematical formula which helps to keep the number of 1 and 0 on a CD about the same.

If a program does not have a the scrambling algorithm, or implements it incorrectly, it cannot make sense of any scrambled data.

RF

Quote Quote  
  15. Now i see.

You know, there's one thing I can't quit get. Where did you find the CUEsheet support in NERO? (How can you use the tracks with Nero)?

oh and btw - You're very welcome . But as you said we all benfit from it, and I hope we'll keep benfit from it, cause the work is hardly done yet. Me, for example, I'm stil fighting to add CD-TEXT to the project (If you have any idea, it'll be most appriciated).

P.S. can you please Email me the Command list for the *.msc
    Quote Quote  
  16. Oh, here's athought, maybe I can add CD-TEXT using GEAR. Since you think it's so sophisticated, maybe you know how to add CD-TEXT with it. You see, I looked, but I couldn't find how...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Oh, here's a thought, maybe I can add CD-TEXT using GEAR. Since you think it's so sophisticated, maybe you know how to add CD-TEXT with it. You see, I looked, but I couldn't find how...
    Quote Quote  
  18. RFontenot,

Regarding the pregap problem with CDRWin, I believe that's just its "default" behavior. From reading their manual, it appears that the INDEX 00 command will cause the pregap to be consumed from the source file, rather than emitting (or rather inserting) additional sectors. If true, this could dispense with the need to split the first file.

I'm not sure whether that would be particularly valuable, but it might save a step. Perhaps I should have tried it myself before suggesting it, though...
    Quote Quote  
  19. SOON, revolutionary new ways to burn Philips VCD2 toolkit image files!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. SOON, revolutionary new ways to burn Philips VCD2 toolkit image files!!!!!

It's warth the wait!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, have just read thru this interesting thread, which is the path im trading at the moment. I have Nero 5.5, I completed the tutorial for vcd2tk, and burned successfully using Gear. However, so far failed with Nero, but this is the prog I paid for and want to use if poss. Using the split tracks (Tocsplit), from scrambled and unscrambled .cd versions, I have built cue sheets which Nero runs, but end up with audio files. I note that, looking at the Nero log files, the cd I burnt successfully with Gear, is written to image by Nero as TRM_DATA_MODE2_2336 (2 Data (mode 2)), the closest I can get burning to image from the split tracks with Nero is TRM_DATA_MODE2_2336 (CD-ROM Mode2/XA) experimenting with CUE sheets. I thought it should be 2352 anyway, but this doesn't seem to work. Can you help,? where can I find the full CUE file command syntax, and can you enlighten me as to how to burn these BIN/CUE files using Nero?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Bilyk,
    The problem burning with Nero/CDRwin is that Image has 150 sectors pregap at the begining of the image file, so BERO can't see the PVD (Primary Volume Description), All you have to do, is to use Splitter.exe and to remove the first 150 sectors, than burn it the same way with NERO/CDRwin. (Don't forget to modify the CUEsheet - back all the indexes by 2 sec (150 sectors), that were removed from the begining of the image)

GoodLuck
    Quote Quote  
  23. BIG NEWS - It's Possible now to emulate a VCD2 Toolkit project before burning it!!!!!

Using TOCSpllit and WinOnCD 3.7/3.8... Unfortinatly only Unscrambled format is supported, for now...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    To all you guys in this thread, thanks. Once I looked again, and understood how to use the splitter, I got there.Now I'll go quiet while I prepare menu screens and images. If I find anything new (unlikely to beat you guys to it) I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks again,
    Dave
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    I note that, if you are using Nero to burn a vcd2tk file, you do not need to use tocsplit, only splitter. By entering the sector numbers from the toc file, you end up with data_trk, track_2, track_3, and track_4. track_2 and track_4 are required and are entered into a cue file for burning, data_trk, and track_3 are the 150 sector pregaps which are not needed.
    can anyone tell me where i can find a syntax list for the cue files accepted by Nero?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Dave,
    Now there's no longer the need to use the splitter. You can use only TOCSplit 1.1 (released a couple of days ago). You choose how to handle the image. CHeck it out... Than if you have anymore questions come back.

TOCSplit 1.1 can be downloaded here:

http://freespace.virgin.net/robin.burrows/cdiutil.htm
    Quote Quote  
  27. With TOCSplit 1.1, if you are using Nero, just choose "CUE Only" in setup. TOCSplit will then create a .CUE file for burning the .CD file without having to split it up into separate tracks. Just load the .CUE file and burn!

RF
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi,
    I tried to burn with WinOnCD but my results at my standalone dvd-player are only audio tracks!
    How can I solve this problem burning with WinOnCD?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Alex, and R.Fontenet. The Tocsplit1.1 is great, now burning with Nero no problem. Now I have a VCD with an introductory video, leading to a main menu, with up to 3 sub menu levels, containing over 500 photos so far. Thanks for your help. I have used ULEAD Video Studio 5 to encode the video, and vcd2tk accepts it as compliant. However, quality of the video with Video Studio 5 is not so good. I get much better results with TMPGEnc12i / 12j, which play fine on any mpeg player, but are rejected by vcd2tk. So how can I encode a compliant video with TMPGEnc?? I have tried all sorts of settings with no success.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    ok, ignore last question. I found R.Fontenot post explaining how to encode Video only, and Audio only with TMPGEnc, then mux with vcdmux. works fine. Thanks again
    Quote Quote