VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello im totally new to this dvd ripping with DGindex Avisynth and virtualdub. I've read a 100 articles on google and still cant get a grasp on quite how to get started with the process. My main goal was to rip my tv collection which is a lot of stuff to wear its not juttery it seems if i use DVDfab or makemkv for dvds they come out horrible just dont look right at all and virtually unwatchable. So i read manually doing everything could solve my problem but im kinda lost i cant even figure out how to get audio to match up after i use DGindex im kinda totally lost. I know most people on here are genius when it comes to this stuff but if its to much to explain i will just stick to using the dvds and be on my way just looking for someone to explain where this can kinda click with me anything would be highly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Buy a bigger hard drive and just copy the discs with MakeMKV. No changes or quality loss occur with MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    hech54 is right, just do what he says.

"DGindex+Avisynth+VirtualDub" is a method from the era when you wanted to make a movie fit on a 700MB compact disc.
    No need for all that chore anymore
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    HeavyMetalHead7, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Buy a bigger hard drive and just copy the discs with MakeMKV. No changes or quality loss occur with MakeMKV.
    Some DVD's are encoded incorrectly. For instance, the disc indicates progressive and it's actually an interlaced telecined source. Looks terrible. This seems to happen frequently with TV shows due to studios relying on "set it and forget it" DVD encoders. The only way to fix it is with AVISynth.

When it comes to the OP's question:

1) First open DGIndex and make sure you have Honor Pulldown Flags chosen in the dropdowns.
    2) Now, Start Project (or something like that). Choose the .VOB files from the DVD and use the arrows in the preview window to choose the section that contain an entire episode. Sometimes an episode can span part of a VOB, a whole VOB, or multiple VOBs. I've never seen them out of alphabetical order, though, so that makes things a bit easier.
    3) Save Project and after it runs its indexing routine you have your d2v file for loading into AVISynth.
    4) Repeat ad nauseum for entire series.
    5) Use AVISynth to inverse telecine or deinterlace the video as needed to create a progressive image.
    6) Profit.
    Last edited by SaurusX; 15th Apr 2019 at 09:39.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Some DVD's are encoded incorrectly. For instance, the disc indicates progressive and it's actually an interlaced telecined source. Looks terrible. This seems to happen frequently with TV shows due to studios relying on "set it and forget it" DVD encoders. The only way to fix it is with AVISynth.

When it comes to the OP's question:

1) First open DGIndex and make sure you have Honor Pulldown Flags chosen in the dropdowns.
    2) Now, Start Project (or something like that). Choose the .VOB files from the DVD and use the arrows in the preview window to choose the section that contain an entire episode. Sometimes an episode can span part of a VOB, a whole VOB, or multiple VOBs. I've never seen them out of alphabetical order, though, so that makes things a bit easier.
    3) Save Project and after it runs its indexing routine you have your d2v file for loading into AVISynth.
    4) Repeat ad nauseum for entire series.
    5) Use AVISynth to inverse telecine or deinterlace the video as needed to create a progressive image.
    6) Profit.
    Yes you are right I’ve used makemkv but some dvds look absolutely terrible with it. It seems when using virtual dub the d2v file will not open also is there a way to sync the audio and video together after using dgindex
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by HeavyMetalHead7 View Post
    It seems when using virtual dub the d2v file will not open also is there a way to sync the audio and video together after using dgindex
    A d2v is not a video file. It's an index to an MPEG2 video file. Use the MPEG2Source function to open the video d2v, use the NicAudio plugin to open the audio track (which is usually extracted as an .ac3 file). Then use Avisynth's AudioDub to remux audio and video.

Code:
    vid=MPEG2Source("Drive:\path\to\FileName.d2v")
    aud=NicAC3Source("Drive:\path\to\FileName.ac3", channels=2)
    AudioDub(vid,aud)
    ...... and so on .......

I don't know how you expect to clean up a badly encoded DVD with VirtualDub filters, except for color work. You're going to need Avisynth. To use the MPEG2Source function you need to copy DGDecode.dll to Avisynth plugins. DGDecode.dll comes with DGindex. I think you'd better be prepared for a learning curve.

If you want detailed instructions you can make a short sample from the mpeg2 video and post it in the forum. Use DGindex to make the sample, which would be an .m2v video file (video with no audio). Here's a quick tutorial on how it's done: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359295-Record-without-interlacing?p=2272359&viewfu...=1#post2272359.

Please don't post samples to YouTube. YouTube crap is unworkable and will be ignored.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 15th Apr 2019 at 20:40.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    It seems when using virtual dub the d2v file will not open also is there a way to sync the audio and video together after using dgindex
    A d2v is not a video file. It's an index to an MPEG2 video file. Use the MPEG2Source function to open the video d2v, use the NicAudio plugin to open the audio track (which is usually extracted as an .ac3 file). Then use Avisynth's AudioDub to remux audio and video.

Code:
    AudioDub(vid,aud)
    ...... and so on .......

I don't know how you expect to clean up a badly encoded DVD with VirtualDub filters, except for color work. You're going to need Avisynth. To use the MPEG2Source function you need to copy DGDecode.dll to Avisynth plugins. DGDecode.dll comes with DGindex. I think you'd better be prepared for a learning curve.

If you want detailed instructions you can make a short sample from the mpeg2 video and post it in the forum. Use DGindex to make the sample, which would be an .m2v video file (video with no audio). Here's a quick tutorial on how it's done: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359295-Record-without-interlacing?p=2272359&viewfu...=1#post2272359.

Please don't post samples to YouTube. YouTube crap is unworkable and will be ignored.
    is it better to use avspmod with avisynth? also plugins what do i drop the ones i download such as QTGMC for better Deinterlacing im starting to understand it a bit more but its still a tough learning curve to figure out especially after using makemkv for years with blurays
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post

Code:
    AudioDub(vid,aud)
    ...... and so on .......

i was able to figure out how to copy and get to work all the plugins with DGDecode and avisynth now witht he auido plugins do i have to download that plugin and do the same the audio part to me is still kinda confusing
    Quote Quote  
  10. http://avisynth.nl/index.php/NicAudio

If you're not going to edit the video you can just mux the original audio with the new video.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Apr 2019 at 15:54.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/NicAudio

If you're not going to edit the video you can just mux the original audio with the new video.
    Ive done all the plugins and such and the video actually looks a million times better then it did the last 2 questions i have are once your done and the file is saved aka test.avs how do i get it back in video form right now its just a script and the nicaudio link comes up with a ton of folders which one in specific do i use i thought i was looking for a dll file but that didnt work and avisynth does not recognize it at all
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    NicAudio.dll is at a separate download link on its wiki page, described below. That particular wiki page is confusing, I know. Most wiki pages are easier.

If you will be using Avisynth plugins you will collect a few of them, so you should have a way to manage them. Many Avisynth plugins are supplied as a package of several files that are compressed as .zip or as .7z files. Windows has an unzip utility, but for .7z files you need the free 7-Zip utility to open them. Get the free 7-Zip installer at https://www.7-zip.org/. It is a very simple and fast installer.

Don't download Avisynth plugin packages directly into your plugins folder. If you do, you will have many files that don't belong in plugins and you will have chaos. Download Avisynth packages and plugins into separate folders. Create a folder on your PC and call it "Filters". Inside that folder, create a subfolder named for each plugin. In this case, create a subfolder named "NicAudio". Into that subfolder, download the plugin package "NicAudio_206.7z", which contains NicAudio.dll, from http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12934&d=1346360250. Use the 7Zip utility to unzip that file into its subfolder. Then copy the plugin NicAudio.dll into your Avisynth plugins folder.

NicAudio is only one of several Avisynth functions for importing audio data. Complete instructions for using NicAudio are at https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=nicaudio. NicAudio can open 5 types of audio files. One of the types it can open is typical DVD Dolby AC3 (.ac3 files), which are created when you use DGIndex to create a .d2v project.

The AudioDub() function to combine video and audio tracks is a built-in Avisynth function that is installed with Avisynth. You don't need a separate plugin for builtin functions. Instructions for AudioDub() are at http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AudioDub and in the Avisynth documentation that is installed with Avisynth. Or just use Google to search for Avisynth plus the function name.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    NicAudio.dll is at a separate download link on its wiki page, described below. That particular wiki page is confusing, I know. Most wiki pages are easier.

If you will be using Avisynth plugins you will collect a few of them, so you should have a way to manage them. Many Avisynth plugins are supplied as a package of several files that are compressed as .zip or as .7z files. Windows has an unzip utility, but for .7z files you need the free 7-Zip utility to open them. Get the free 7-Zip installer at https://www.7-zip.org/. It is a very simple and fast installer.

Don't download Avisynth plugin packages directly into your plugins folder. If you do, you will have many files that don't belong in plugins and you will have chaos. Download Avisynth packages and plugins into separate folders. Create a folder on your PC and call it "Filters". Inside that folder, create a subfolder named for each plugin. In this case, create a subfolder named "NicAudio". Into that subfolder, download the plugin package "NicAudio_206.7z", which contains NicAudio.dll, from http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12934&d=1346360250. Use the 7Zip utility to unzip that file into its subfolder. Then copy the plugin NicAudio.dll into your Avisynth plugins folder.

NicAudio is only one of several Avisynth functions for importing audio data. Complete instructions for using NicAudio are at https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=nicaudio. NicAudio can open 5 types of audio files. One of the types it can open is typical DVD Dolby AC3 (.ac3 files), which are created when you use DGIndex to create a .d2v project.

The AudioDub() function to combine video and audio tracks is a built-in Avisynth function that is installed with Avisynth. You don't need a separate plugin for builtin functions. Instructions for AudioDub() are at http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AudioDub and in the Avisynth documentation that is installed with Avisynth. Or just use Google to search for Avisynth plus the function name.
    ok i got the audio synced up and the avs file is done but its just a script how do i get in back into video form now that is complete mkv avi etc format are preferred
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You open the script in a program that accepts the script, such as Virtualdub2, set your video/audio compression options and
    encode a new video
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You open the script in a program that accepts the script, such as Virtualdub2, set your video/audio compression options and
    encode a new video
    Thank you that does the trick do you have any recommended settings or does it take around 20 min and episode to decode without losing any the quality pretty much what you would get with makemkv
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    encode a new video
    Because I’m having a huge problem where the files a giant sizes like 20 gb for one episode clearly can’t be right
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have to set your video compression options, as said in my earlier post.
    Video/Compression/x264 8-bit/configure
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You have to set your video compression options, as said in my earlier post.
    Video/Compression/x264 8-bit/configure
    Any idea on the rate control setting or even just the preset to get normal sized files
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by HeavyMetalHead7 View Post

Because I’m having a huge problem where the files a giant sizes like 20 gb for one episode clearly can’t be right
    You get those when you don't choose a video and audio codec. Then, by default, you get uncompressed video and audio. Just follow the instructions davexnet already gave you (twice). You could have tested this out already. You won't break anything. Then if you have a real question afterwards come back.

All reencodes to a lossy codec will result in some image degradation. But, done right, you won't be able to tell. I usually use 1-pass CRF 18 for x264 encodes, but you might want a higher or lower number (lower=better quality and larger file size) and only you can decide the right compromise between video quality and file size.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by manono View Post

You get those when you don't choose a video and audio codec. Then, by default, you get uncompressed video and audio. Just follow the instructions davexnet already gave you (twice). You could have tested this out already. You won't break anything. Then if you have a real question afterwards come back.

All reencodes to a lossy codec will result in some image degradation. But, done right, you won't be able to tell. I usually use 1-pass CRF 18 for x264 encodes, but you might want a higher or lower number (lower=better quality and larger file size) and only you can decide the right compromise between video quality and file size.
    I figured it out lol sorry for the same post just was lost at the point this forum has really been a great help and by just deinterlacing the DVD’s they look much better Motion wise it’s not even close I will try 18 CRF once again thank everyone who helped
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by HeavyMetalHead7 View Post
    by just deinterlacing the DVD’s they look much better Motion wise
    Most DVDs should be inverse telecined, not deinterlaced.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Apr 2019 at 20:52.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    by just deinterlacing the DVD’s they look much better Motion wise
    Most DVDs should be inverse telecined, not deinterlaced.
    Do you know the best plugin for inverse telecine on avisynth
    Quote Quote  
  23. Inverse telecine is usually done with TFM() and TDecimate() -- both parts of the TIVTC package:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/TIVTC

Your script will usually look something like:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("filename.d2v")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    Note that both of those filters have many options and you sometimes have to specify them.
    Quote Quote