VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, all.

I'm trying to capture a VHS tape using the all-elusive HM-DHX1, a D-Theater unit from Japan.

I've had this unit for about a few years, but I am only now noticing that it poorly deinterlaces the video played by default, meaning there's nothing I can do from my computer about it.

My question is, am I able to turn the deinterlacing off? If so, how? I cannot read Japanese and I do not wish to screw things up further than how it was given to me.

See the attached images for the deinterlacing at hand.

Thanks.

-Arian K.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-02-09-02h54m59s951.png
Views:	118
Size:	486.9 KB
ID:	51918  

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-02-09-03h24m31s838.png
Views:	80
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	51919  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's the Japanese version of the 40k; what's so special about that?

What are we looking at here? It seems to be a capture from one of the analog outputs to lossless. Unless you captured via YPbPr component, all outputs of the HM-DHX1 aka HM-DH40000U are interlaced.

You mention deinterlacing, but what you posted are interlaced frames that show combing.
    Last edited by Brad; 9th Feb 2020 at 03:00.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    It's the Japanese version of the 40k; what's so special about that?

What are we looking at here? Unless you captured via YPbPr component, all outputs of the HM-DHX1 aka HM-DH40000U are interlaced.

You mention deinterlacing, but what you posted are interlaced frames that show combing.
    The 40Ku is supposed to be the best for VHS capture, that's what I meant by "all-elusive."

Okay, so the issue is combing, not deinterlacing. How do I rectify this? Is there something I should do in my software (AmarecTV) or is it something internal within the VCR?

Oh, and I captured with S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Capturing interlaced is the correct way to do it. The signal on the tape is 480i.

I wrote a little guide on DigitalFAQ that shows how to use PotPlayer to properly "2x deinterlace" AVI captures, if you want to view them without further compression.

In the case of this Dragon Ball Z capture, you should be able to inverse telecine it to the original NTSC film frame rate (23.976 fps). That's a task best left to Avisynth. And from there you can encode to lossless again as a progressive file, or use something like x264.
    Last edited by Brad; 9th Feb 2020 at 03:59.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What's your capture workflow? D-VHS to firewire? D-VHS to S-Video to capture card? What capture card? what capture program? PC or MAC? Don't expect that members have Chrystal balls to know what you are doing.
    Quote Quote