VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to rip my Star Trek The Next Generation & Star Trek Voyager DVD Collection, to HDD before the disc's become delaminated.
    Now I can watch them in English, but when I try to rip them they come out in German.

Does anyone know, How do I back them up in English.

thanks

hendos 4
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hendos4 View Post
    I am trying to rip my Star Trek The Next Generation & Star Trek Voyager DVD Collection, to HDD before the disc's become delaminated.
    Now I can watch them in English, but when I try to rip them they come out in German.

Does anyone know, How do I back them up in English.

thanks

hendos 4
    what copying tools are you using ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wonderfox DVD Ripper, WinX DVD Ripper, Video Proc Converter, Wondershare DVD to MP4 Converter, DVD Decrypter, VideoSolo BD-DVD Ripper, Have also started with AnyDVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by "delaminated" ?
    DVDs are not laminated like CD-R. It's sandwiched between polycarb layers.

I never had issues using DVD Decrypter, and did it well over a a decade ago. (Later converted to H.264 in MKV.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wonderfox DVD Ripper, WinX DVD Ripper, Video Proc Converter, Wondershare DVD to MP4 Converter, DVD Decrypter, VideoSolo BD-DVD Ripper, Have also started with AnyDVD
    For old releases, why don't you try makemkv, did you try it? Put a free key in and use it, select streams, copy to mkv, done.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sorry but I only know it as delaminating, what ever it is called the disc's become unreadable. As for trying MakeMKV, please see the following.

This is the error message I get from MakeMKV:
    MakeMKV v1.17.3 win(x64-release) started
    Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL ATAPI DVD A DH16AAL LHD3 399929015159' at offset '1048576'

Tried it on my laptop as well with the following error message:
    Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU90N LUE1 M21EBIE2400' at offset '1048576'
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have access to different brand names of drives? I found sometimes my LG drive will read stuff my pioneers won't and visa versa
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hendos4 View Post
    I sorry but I only know it as delaminating, what ever it is called the disc's become unreadable. As for trying MakeMKV, please see the following.

This is the error message I get from MakeMKV:
    Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL ATAPI DVD A DH16AAL LHD3 399929015159' at offset '1048576'

Tried it on my laptop as well with the following error message:
    Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU90N LUE1 M21EBIE2400' at offset '1048576'
    try running makemkv as administrator - https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15877
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice, but that has failed as well. Recording still coming out in German.
    I think the only way that might work is to play each episode and do a screen capture.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try DVDShrink. I just successfully ripped a DVD of a recent movie for backup purposes. You can choose the language you want to keep.

It won't create an MPEG (it outputs VOB) but AVIDemux with MPEG the VOB for you losslessly.

My notes:

For full disk copy
    • Click Full Disk
    • Remove files if you wish eg foreign language audio.
    • Click Backup!
    • Set options as required, including name of disc.

For Main Movie only
    • Choose Re-Author.
    • ON the DVD Browser tab, drag the main title to the left window
    • On the Compression tab:
    • Choose no compression eg if going onto a hard drive
    • Untick all unwanted Audio and subpicture items

• Click Backup!

If you want, Edit>Preferences> Output Files tab and untick 1gb chunks. You’ll then get 1 big VOB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/decrypters-dvd-rippers

I take it you've already exhausted all of these choices too? WinX DVD Copy is useful(however you must rip everything!) but after ripping your dvd to a folder on the hard drive, I then use Elby CloneDVD to strip it down further as in remove menus and unwanted languages. It works every time for me!
    Don't know your system platform, but probably reliable old ripper Smart Ripper(alongside AnyDVD) or DVD43 is too ancient to work on it, if CloneDVD fails?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Make sure that you are selecting the correct language. Sometimes the default language is not English.
    Quote Quote