VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've currently got an HTPC that needs replacing (Vista machine, I hate it), and use my PS3 to stream Netflix.

I'm looking to get a single box to play all my videos over the network (must be able to do AVI, MKV, DVD's in VIDEO_TS format, I download obscure stuff from torrent so video format compatibility is a must), and also work with Netflix, Hulu, and hopefully Amazon Prime videos.

Anything like this exist?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    please forgive me and maybe i shouldnt be answering you...im not sure about amazon and hulu but ive heard good things about the boxee box...have you looked into that?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Boxee is interesting. You can buy the box, or make one up with their free software.

I am going to try it over the weekend.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Boxee does not appear to support Hulu or Amazon Prime, but I cannot be 100% sure because it looks like it would take at least 30 minutes if not an hour of digging through their idiotic website to get a list of what services it does support. The file stuff you want (AVI, DVDs, etc.) should be fine.

Western Digital makes some meda streamers that have your file play needs and Netflix covered, but not Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Roku supports Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu but file play support is very weak with only MKV on your list as a possibility.

I've got a Western Digital media streamer that I use for file play needs. I've got a Roku that I use for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. They're both small form factor devices so I don't care about having 2 of them. I'm afraid that if you're going to get hung up on that "One box to play them all" idea that you're just going to have to go with another HTPC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks - that's sort of what I thought...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do what I do, just connect your TV to your computer.& you can do that stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use my PS3 as a media server and can view all my videos/pictures from my PC on to my big screen. Very simple and effective!
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WDTV Live Plus is what I use (I also have the non plus version). Many use Patriot Box Office (though that one can't do Netflix I think). If you want to check boxes go here:

http://www.iboum.com
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dbanimal View Post
    I use my PS3 as a media server and can view all my videos/pictures from my PC on to my big screen. Very simple and effective!
    I appreciate your attempt, but that doesn't solve any of the issues in my original post. I too use a PS3 but it doesn't do everything. Not even close.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was just implying that if you install the free PS3 Media Server software you can view all the .*** files off your computer that you mentioned along with Netflix. Problem is I'm not sure about Amazon, Hulu etc...

Sorry I couldn't help!
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Boxee does not appear to support Hulu or Amazon Prime, but I cannot be 100% sure because it looks like it would take at least 30 minutes if not an hour of digging through their idiotic website to get a list of what services it does support. The file stuff you want (AVI, DVDs, etc.) should be fine.

Western Digital makes some meda streamers that have your file play needs and Netflix covered, but not Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Roku supports Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu but file play support is very weak with only MKV on your list as a possibility.

I've got a Western Digital media streamer that I use for file play needs. I've got a Roku that I use for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. They're both small form factor devices so I don't care about having 2 of them. I'm afraid that if you're going to get hung up on that "One box to play them all" idea that you're just going to have to go with another HTPC.
    Jman98 I seem to remember seeing HuluPlus support added to my WD Live Hub in a recent update.

Since I use it for playing media files and Netflix I never tried Hulu on it.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dbanimal
    Problem is I'm not sure about Amazon, Hulu etc...
    The pay version of playon lets you stream from your paid accounts.

The live verisons of wdtv do netflix as has been mentioned. I have the first gen version that doesn't have streaming but file support is great.

But as mentioned for something that does "everything" you probably will be forced into an htpc. I saw an interesting one on cnet the other week. It was a slim model unit designed simlarly to a ps3 slim model. But it was a full computer not a game system. Can't remember the name of it. But they certainly have more form factors to look at besides a tower if you want a htpc to fit a smaller footprint. Just remember to give it enough airflow to prevent overheating.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    [I saw an interesting one on cnet the other week. It was a slim model unit designed simlarly to a ps3 slim model. But it was a full computer not a game system. Can't remember the name of it..
    A laptop with hdmi?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    But as mentioned for something that does "everything" you probably will be forced into an htpc. I saw an interesting one on cnet the other week. It was a slim model unit designed simlarly to a ps3 slim model. But it was a full computer not a game system. Can't remember the name of it. But they certainly have more form factors to look at besides a tower if you want a htpc to fit a smaller footprint. Just remember to give it enough airflow to prevent overheating.
    I suspect you are thinking of a "net top" or ""nettop" PCs. There are a lot of those available now. I have seen models or bare bones kits made by Acer, Zotac, Lenovo, Giada, Asus, and Foxconn. Some can even be mounted on the back of the TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @handyguy - nope wasn't a laptop. Regular pc.

@usually_quiet - yeah thats probably what it was. Didn't know it had a new name for that category of pc's.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote