VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is it possible to upscale through my pc withoput having to buy an additional dvd player or additional omponents for my pc.
    i have a hdtv that doubles as a monitor and is connected to my pc via dvi-hdmi, my graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500.

do i just have to change settings or something?

thanks for any help given.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the resolution of your hdtv? I have an lcd westinghouse that is 1366x768. I have a setting on my nvidia card for 1366x768. That makes it perfect for my tv. Regular dvds look great through powerdvd.

Depending on the version of your nvidia drivers you may only be able to get 1360x768. Check to make sure you have the latest.

Simply check the native resolution of your hdtv and set your pc resoultion as close to that and you will have excellent results.

FYI my resolutions are for NTSC. I am not sure what high def counterparts are for PAL. I know its 720x576 for dvd pal but I"m not sure about high def resolutions. Please consult your region for your closest match.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your software player will "upscale" but it is not as good as a good standalone dvd player with 1080p upscaling. You can use filters to improve the upscaling, like http://www.theatertek.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=9451 and http://www.htpcnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=54 or google for ffdshow upscaling.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Any time your computer is playing a DVD in a window, or full screen, larger than 720x576 (PAL) it is upscaling. The question is whether your computer or a standalone DVD player will upscale better.
    Quote Quote