VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Always have filmed with camcorder 720x576, results on CRT TV look fine.
    Now trying a Canon 70D which makes .mov files
    Using its advertised ability to do 1920 full HD. using PAL 25fps ALL-I (no compression) SD card SanDisk Extreme 60MB/s bought from camera shop after asking them for best card for video filming.

Play the mov with Quicktime, or Windows Media Player, or Jaksta, they all give fine splits/fractures IF the interface is made full size on a 1920x1200 res top quality Eizo flatscreen monitor.

I can resize Win Media Player by dragging corner and when its 1/4 size of monitor the splits vanish. same goes for some mov footage in this thread about the stutters, another big problem I am seeing. Such go if 50fps is usd, but the 70D doesnt offer 1920 50fps so as the poster concludes, its useless for HD.
    The MOV files in this thread also show splits at full screen size.

Why does a powerful PC with a GeForce GTX970 and latest hardware, custom built, with SSD C drive win7 64bit etc show splits ?
    an iMAC running 2560x1440 doesnt do so.

Even the camcorder footage as mpg shows splits if enlarged up to full screen.

If i pause the footage and drag the interface corner large and small, I see splits during that action, and the movie is paused !

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Horizontal splits? Something like the image in this post?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313687-video-wrinkles?p=1939257&viewfull=1#post1939257

Look for vertical sync options in your player. Use a player that supports page flipping during vertical refresh. All the better players have this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    That link talks of a tear that scrolls down the screen, mine are momentary lesser versions of what we see there, and many of them., say about 5 at times, sometimes 2 etc. visible through verticals during panning, if camera static they dont appear.
    Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Jaksta, MPC-HC.
    Just tried MPC-HC and even at quarter screen I see the splits, verticals offset a fraction where the splits occur.

Look for vertical sync options in your player. Use a player that supports page flipping during vertical refresh
    What players do you suggest ?

Cheers

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    That link talks of a tear that scrolls down the screen, mine are momentary lesser versions of what we see there, and many of them., say about 5 at times, sometimes 2 etc. visible through verticals during panning, if camera static they dont appear.
    It's probably the same thing. The severity depends on the the size of the video frame, the size of the screen/window, the amount of motion in the frame, etc. You might be able to fix it with an update to the latest WHQL certified release of the graphics card's driver.

Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    Just tried MPC-HC and even at quarter screen I see the splits, verticals offset a fraction where the splits occur.
    MPCHC has some vsync controls you can try. First, from its Options dialog try Playback -> Output -> DirectShow Video -> all the different options on the pulldown (you have to exit the program and restart it for the changes to take place). Some won't work at all but some may not show the tearing problem. Also on that part of the dialog there is an Alternative VSync option. Try that. Or if it's already enabled disable it.

MPCHC also has a built in tearing test. From the main menu select View -> Renderer Settings -> Tearing Test. This is only available with some of the video renderers in the previous step -- try using Enhanced Video Renderer Custom Presenter. You'll see two vertical red lines move from left to right as a video is playing. You should see no tears in the lines. If you see no breaks in the lines but you still have tearing in the video there may be something wrong with the video. The tearing test only works with some of the

Do you have some third party video renderer installed? Like MadVR or something like that? Check it's settings for vsync options.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jagabo,
    I have worked my way through that drop down list. It was set to the 'Enhanced Video Renderer (custom Presenter), the 5 features (DXVA, Subtitles, Screenshot, Shaders, Rotation) vary in availability depending on which of the options in that dropdown are selected, not sure if loss of them is important (please advise), though screenshot is why I use this program normally, all were all green ticked.

Those that gave no tearing were:-
    System Default (Screenshot ticked)
    Overlay Mixer Renderer (all red crossed)
    Video Mixing Renderer 7(Windowed) (screenshot ticked)

For these, that tearing test is greyed out.
    Also its greyed out for the Enhanced Video Renderer (custom Presenter) you suggest. (which it was initially set to anyway)

Also on that part of the dialog there is an Alternative VSync option. Try that. Or if it's already enabled disable it.
    I cant find this, just where is it ?

Do you have some third party video renderer installed? Like MadVR or something like that? Check it's settings for vsync options.
    Not that I know of. Its a new build win7 64bit then I installed MPC-HD so as to be able to play videos and do screen captures, though I dont like the fact that it takes a 16:9 ratio movie and contracts its width, so circles are elipses, no other prog such as windvd ever did that.
    I am now with jaksta, that doesnt do that.

As such System Default or Video Mixing Renderer 7(Windowed) would seem to be the way to go, screenshot option is available, but rest red crossed, What loss are they ?

which one is best ?

why is tear test greyed out for the one you suggest to try ?

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    Also on that part of the dialog there is an Alternative VSync option. Try that. Or if it's already enabled disable it.
    I cant find this, just where is it ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	alt.png
Views:	210
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	34484

As such System Default or Video Mixing Renderer 7(Windowed) would seem to be the way to go, screenshot option is available, but rest red crossed, What loss are they ?
    DXVA: uses the graphics card do the video decompression to lower CPU usage.

Subtitles: allows soft subtitles to be overlaid during playback.

Screenshot: allows screen shots to be captured and saved.

Shaders: allows MPCHC to use its shader filters for effects and post processing.

Rotation: allows the picture to be rotated (eg, 90 degrees when viewing smartphone video that was shot "sideways") during playback.

which one is best ?
    Generally, the further down the list the better the options are. But you have to stick with what works.

why is tear test greyed out for the one you suggest to try ?
    Dunno. Make sure you have the latest WHQL driver for your graphics card. Get it from the manufacturer, not Windows Update.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If the tearing test option is greyed out when it shouldn't be it might indicate you're not using the renderer you think you are and MPC-HC has taken upon itself to use something else. I don't think it informs you when that happens. When EVR custom presenter is chosen in options and you've restarted the player if need be, try right clicking on the video and looking under the filters menu to see which video renderer is actually being used.

I just tried it myself to see if the tearing test works (I'm running XP) only to discover EVR no longer works at all and MPC-HC complained about not being able to find mfplat.dll. That's new, so I tried an older version of MPC-HC and EVR works without any mfplat.dll complaints. Computers....

Another thought.... probably unrelated but I thought I'd mention it.... my old Nvidia card doesn't like MPC-HC using bicubic resizing. If I do, there's invariably tearing if the video is resized. More so with the TV refreshing at 50Hz than 60Hz for some reason, but I never managed to get rid of it completely. Bilinear resizing is fine. No tearing at all. Maybe I missed the obvious but I tried vsync and ReClock and anything else that seemed sensible. There's no tearing when using MadVR with the default settings, but I don't use it because I had an issue with it crashing when moving the player from one monitor to another a while back and VMR9 works well for me. Maybe try MadVR, although does it have a tearing test? ReClock might be worth a look too.

There's also the possibility there's a driver issue. I'm not a gamer so I stopped updating Nvidia drivers after doing so caused problems a couple of times and I've stuck with the old drivers ever since.

Ctrl+J when a video is playing might provide some insight as to what's going on. From memory the stats provided by MadVR are the most useful, or easiest to understand, but Ctrl+J works with VMR and EVR.

One last thought..... I had an old PC that was slightly overclocked and I had lots of video issues at one stage. Stuttering, especially when displaying subtitles, and tearing. Disabling overclocking fixed it, so I tried adjusting the PCI-E frequency in the BIOS down a little (rather than leave it on auto) and that got it to behave when overclocked. I never did understand why. Just one of those impossible things that happen anyway when computers are involved.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 15th Nov 2015 at 00:40.
    Quote Quote