VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by FPT2021 View Post
    i dont mind about space but even so if it dont need to be that big for the same quality, why not
    Note that I have not written that the quality is untouched. If you use sophisticated programs to compare the encoding in, say, CRF 10 with the original, they will detect many small differences. But I don't think that a non-mutant human is really able to actually see them.

There is two times the amount of video data to process for Full-SBS, so yes, it is normal that it takes more or less two times the amount of time to encode it in HSBS.

The "preset" option is a simple way to change many encoding parameters at the same time. You can fine-tune them manually if you wish (it's why there is an Additional Options field in BD3D2MK3D), but you have to know exactly what you are doing. Personally, I prefer to trust the guys who have programmed x264, and use one of their presets. I did some tests with many presets, and currentli I prefer the "slow"preset, but as I wrote above, it's because it is perfect for my hardware.

The names of the presets comes indeed from the duration of the encoding. In ultrafast mode, the encoding is very simple, and therefore it is, well... ultrafast, but it produces a very big file. I use it only to do quick tests. In the other hand, the slowest preset, placebo, encodes very slowly, because it uses very sophisticated algorithms, and of course, it compresses the video much better. But the complexity of the encoding makes it also difficult to decode it, and it's why some hardware have difficulties to display it without lags. Honestly, I can't say for sure if using a slower preset will cause problems, as that depends of the age and power of your hardware player, but of course, you will have to spend more time to encode your movies. So, if disc space doesn't matter for you, I suggest to stick with the default medium preset.

To boost the audio with an external program, I suggest to use Audacity or Ocenaudio. Both are free, and you will be able to boost the audio either slightly but without clipping, or after having gently compressed the highest peaks to keep the quality at an acceptable level. Stay away from the one-big-red-button-to-press-to-boost-your-audio programs, as they give always bad results. Furthermore, they are not free !
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks And about 10 bits, since that said that the original bluray its 8 bit it dont worth it to change it to 10? And about mode is CRF is the best option? About x265 "you should therefore verify the settings in the x265 (hevc) encoder options frames of the last tab to suit your need." i dont understand it. Maybe because im french lol. What and where is that last tab and what i should verify there or switch there and depending of what?
    Last edited by FPT2021; 18th Jan 2021 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by FPT2021 View Post
    And about 10 bits, since that said that the original bluray its 8 bit it dont worth it to change it to 10?
    IMO, encoding a 8-bit source in 10-bit doesn't make much sense, especially in Full-SBS. (In Half-SBS, some new colors can appear when the image is resized, but even in that case, 10-bit is overkill.)

Originally Posted by FPT2021 View Post
    And about mode is CRF is the best otion?
    CRF is the best option, yes. The worst is ABR (one single pass with fixed size or overall bitrate), then 2-pass (better than ABR because the second pass fixes the problems that the first pass cannot address due to the fixed bitrate, but still not perfect), then CQ (where you specify the amount of information you accept to remove, regardless of the bitrate), and finally CRF (similar to CQ, but it compresses more in fast moving scenes, where your eyes cannot see the little defects, and less in still scenes, where a perfect encode is necessary). Note that CRF 0 and CQ 0 are strictly identical, since you don't remove any information. BTW, do not trust the many sites where it is recommended to use 2-pass. It's only true with the encoders without CQ/CRF modes, or when you need to control the final file size precisely (and obviously it's not your case). And 2-pass requires of course much more encoding time.

Originally Posted by FPT2021 View Post
    About x265 "you should therefore verify the settings in the x265 (hevc) encoder options frames of the last tab to suit your need." i dont understand it. Maybe because im french lol. What and where is that last tab and what i should verify there or switch there and depending of what?
    That sentence is in the long warning that appears when you select x265. Don't worry. It's because all encoding options in the last tab of BD3D2MK3D (labelled "Options and Go!") changes completely when you select another encoder. Therefore, the settings you have defined for x264 are not used, and you have to define similar settings for x265, taking into account the many differences between the two encoders. (For example, the default CRF value is 23 for x264 and 28 for x265, because they do not react the same way.)

BTW, my native language is French too (or almost French, more precisely Belgian French). And your English is perfectly understandable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much to answering that fast. I appreciate that alot. Now i will enjoy the best quality in my quest 2. Have a nice afternoon or evening. Me im from Canada but im living in mexico for a year.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. i encoded my movie in full side by side and i tried all apsect choice. When i watch it with skybox it display fine. But when i click the full side by side option in skybox a part of the the top and the bottom of the movie is not showing it is croped and what ever the aspect that i choose in skybox. But when i unclik the full side by side option its perfect. Maybe someone know something about that? i know that probleme was reported by many who did the same. but i didnt find any solution. thanks.
    Last edited by FPT2021; 20th Jan 2021 at 18:25.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't understand what is the "full side by side option in skybox", and why you need to enable it, if without touching it, the result is perfect.

Anyway, if you cannot solve the problem by playing with the two "Full-SBS/T&B Aspect Ratio" options, that means that your Skybox cannot display correctly FSBS, or that it has a bug. I can't help, because all possible combinations of the two aspect ratio flags (in the video stream and in the MKV header) are supported by BD3D2MK3D.

IMO, it is probably better to post your question in a forum dedicated to your hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The aspect is perfect when not enabled but it is not in full side by side. I dint realize that the top and bottom was cropped when i was testing it. full side by side give a better picture and 3d but it is croped" And side by side give perfect aspect but the quality of 3d and the pciture are not that good. I asked because maybe someone find a solution here. On skybox they still pretend that the full side by side button give a perfect aspect. but tons of people say the opposite to them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I see. That confirms that the problem is on their side. Sorry, but I can't help. Good luck !
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by FPT2021 View Post
    The aspect is perfect when not enabled but it is not in full side by side. I dint realize that the top and bottom was cropped when i was testing it. full side by side give a better picture and 3d but it is croped" And side by side give perfect aspect but the quality of 3d and the pciture are not that good. I asked because maybe someone find a solution here. On skybox they still pretend that the full side by side button give a perfect aspect. but tons of people say the opposite to them.
    I just checked - and yes Skybox crops the top and bottom on FSBS. Is there a thread on this at Skybox - we can post some screenshots as evidence.

Assuming you are seeing this on Oculus Quest (2) - for now you I'm using Bigscreen app which correctly shows FSBS.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi! A few years ago I used your tool to process a number of different BlueRay 3D movies and it worked perfectly every time.

I recently bought a 3D capable projector which has rekindled my interest in 3D and so have bought a pile of good movies on 3D BlueRay to convert. I convert to side by side HD so that I can store on my iTunes server and use with my gen 3 Apple TV.

Last week I downloaded the latest version of your tool and tried to process two movies. Both failed for the same reason. Tsmuxer crashed. I was trying to process Hubble 3D and Star Trek Beyond in 3D.

I have since tried using both the previous versions of BD3D2MK3D and tsmuxer crashes there too. I am using the same BlueRay player, the same decryption driver (which is working perfectly). The only differences in the machine since I last used your tool are the faster processor (same generation) and a higher spec. ASUS motherboard.

Screenshots of the error messages are here:

https://files.videohelp.com/u/299032/9647B01C-D6FC-49F0-99F3-6ECD9C66B6A7.jpeg

https://files.videohelp.com/u/299032/BC7936DD-E18A-439C-9D4F-5E8C3102DC0A.jpeg

Regards and many thanks,
    Richard
    Last edited by rickyshamilton; 3rd Apr 2021 at 17:31.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi! A few years ago I used your brilliant tool and it worked perfectly.

I have just tried to use the latest version and have run into a problem with a crash. It seems that tsMuxeR is crashing, throwing a demux error.

I tried a couple of different BlueRay disks and have also tried to use the two old versions of BD3D2MK3D that I successfully used before but had no success.

Here is a screen shot of the problem:

https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58229&d=1617485405

Regards
    Richard
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hum, strange. I have never encountered that error, and you are the first person reporting it.

Have you tried the suggestion to demux the BD with eac3to ? Does it work ?

Anyway, it seems that the problem is related to txMuxeR and/or your BD, and not directly to BD3D2MK3D. Perhaps you should report the problem at the tsMuxeR thread at Doom9. Also, try to replace txMuxeR.exe with the latest nightly build. Since tsMuxeR is again heavily developed, a bug may have been fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thank you very much for the reply. I did indeed try the fallback to eac3to and that also failed. That failure is shown on the second screenshot.

I will try using the latest build of tsMuxeR and will export back. I have tried more than one BD but to tie things down I will try with a disk I successfully processed a few years ago. After I try those two suggestions I will post the problem on the tsMuxeR thread as you kindly suggested.

Best regards and many thanks,
    Richard
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hello!
    I've been using BD3D2MK3D to generate SBS 3D vids that work perfectly in Oculus / BigScreen as I stream them from my Plex box. However, when I watch them on my Roku, they are squished horizontally with extra extra huge black bars at the top and bottom; it's like the Roku will not automatically stretch the videos vertically to take up the full vertical space available on my 1080p projector.

The projector itself can manually set aspect ratio, but the closest I can get is the "anamorphic" setting which is only slightly less squished. I'm a bit stumped by it... I do have a handful of other SBS Mp4's that seem to work fine. Maybe that's the next thing I'll try re-encode the 3D MKVs as Mp4 to see if the Roku likes that file format better...

Any ideas what's causing this or thoughts on potentially fixing it? Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well, there are many aspect ratio problems with various hardware players, and unfortunately, there is no absolute rule to obtain a good result, especially with Full-SBS or Full-TAB. Some hardware players require fancy things, like an additional black bar between the two views to render the 3D correctly. Of course, BD3D2MK3D cannot support all that bizarre encoding methods.

You do not specify if you encode in Half-SBS or Full-SBS. In Half-SBS, there is a well established standard regarding the aspect ratio information to include in the video stream and in the MKV header. But in Full-SBS, it's another thing. It's why there are two aspect ratio options available with the Settings -> Full-SBS/T&B Aspect Ratio menu. You can try to change them to see if that solves your problem.

Note that the first option (the AR) determines the aspect ratio stored in the MKV header. You can change it manually in an existing project by editing the "--aspect-ratio" option in the __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.json file with notepad. If the video file has already been encoded, you can then simply remux the MKV file by double-clicking the __MUX_3D.cmd file. (It is also possible to change that option directly in the MKV file with mkvtoolnix, if you have it installed on your system.)

The second option (the SAR) is the information stored in the video stream during the encoding with x264 or x265. AFAIK, there is no way to modify that information without re-encoding the whole video stream. You can change that SAR in the __ENCODE_3D.cmd file, but you will have to restart the encoding by launching __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd.

Of course, although there is no option to change the AR and SAR for Half-SBS in the BD3D2MK3D Settings menu, you can also experiment with that two options, but IMO it's a problem with your hardware. Or perhaps Plex looses the aspect ratio information when it sends the video to the Roku ? Anyway, other than modifying the two AR options as explained above, there is no other possibilities. Perhaps you should post your question on the Roku or Plex support forums ?

Good luck !
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thank you so much for this response and the ideas. All the Encodes I've done so far are half-SBS. I might give Full a try in order to tweak the settings you mentioned, if nothing else.

I'll give them a try. I also have a Raspberry Pi running plex and I'll see if that handles the MKV any differently, which might allow me to at least eliminate plex as the culprit. I suppose I could even just play the file directly from a laptop via HDMI to my projector just to see what happens there. I'm also encoding the MKV into an m4v to see if that changes how Plex/Roku handles the files.

I'll report back just in case what I find is helpful to anyone else. Again, thank you for your time and efforts!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Just as a follow up to my last message, this issue may not be entirely the Roku's fault, but I have been able to play the 3d MKV in alternative hardware configurations.

Here are the players/Apps that squish my 3dMKV, essentially adding gigantic black bars to top and bottom
    • Roku Plex App
    • Web App(Chrome, Windows 10)

Here are the players that display the file properly:
    • Oculus Quest Big Screen
    • Windows Plex App
    • Kodi Plex App

Re-encoding the 3d MKV into an M4V seems to also correct this issue; the M4V SBS encode looks correct in the Plex Web App (Chrome, Win10) where the MKV is definitely squished.

Again, thanks for all the help on this. I will likely just cast my WIndows Plex App to my projector and bypass the Roku altogether so I don't have to go through a bunch of testing with encode options.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi, I am just starting to use BD3D2MK3D in 3D Full SBS mode and it works really well for the image quality!

I do have an issue with the placement of subtitles. In Full SBS any subtitles I use whether it is being ripped from the bluray or downloaded SRT file, the subtitle appears in the middle of the screen when playnig the movie with Pigasus VR. I have already contacted the developer at Pigasus but he is unable to reproduce this with his own Full SBS files. He can reproduce with mine, created with BD3D2MK3D. He suggested checking the settings in BD3D2MK3D. But I do not seem to be able to find settings regarding the placement of the subtitles. Do you maybe know why my subtitle is appearing midscreen instead of at the bottom.

When I choose for Half SBS the placement is fine.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by sweetjimmy View Post
    Re-encoding the 3d MKV into an M4V seems to also correct this issue;
    Interesting information. Can I know exactly what you call "re-encoding" ? Have you re-encoded the video stream completely ? with x264 ? Or have you just remuxed the original SBS stream produced by BD3D2MK3D (or the final MKV) in a M4V container ? If it's the remux only, that would mean that the AR stored in the MKV header is misinterpreted by your players. But if a full re-encode is necessary, that may be the SAR in the video stream. Knowing that may help me to implement a workaround for the players with that AR problem.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by marinden View Post
    In Full SBS any subtitles I use whether it is being ripped from the bluray or downloaded SRT file, the subtitle appears in the middle of the screen when playnig the movie with Pigasus VR.
    A 3DBD is supposed to implement the subtitles in 3D with a method often called "3D-planes" (but the real technical name is "offset sequences"). In fact, the subtitle is stored in the BD in 2D, so that it can be used normally when the user plays the movie in 2D. When the movie is played in 3D, the BD player uses the offset sequence to shift the subtitle in the left and right views by a certain amount of pixels so that the subtitles appear at the right depth in the 3D image, without entering in the objects of the foreground.

Unfortunately, when the 3D movie is converted to SBS or TAB, the offset sequences are lost, and anyway, almost all players are unable to use them to display the subtitles correctly in 3D. Therefore, BD3D2MK3D has implemented two ways to store the subtitles in the SBS file. It can store them in 2D, exactly like for a 2D movie, and of course, the depth information is lost. Furthermore, since the player must split the two views to display them for each eye, it has to display the 2D subtitle over each view AFTER the split, as otherwise the subtitle will be cut in two parts.

In the other hand, BD3D2MK3D can also store the subtitles in 3D. It uses the offset sequences to generate a new subtitle stream with the two subtitles already at the right position for a half-SBS (or half-TAB) movie. Of course, in this case, the subtitles must be displayed by the player BEFORE the split of the two views. Therefore, to display the 2D or 3D subtitles properly, the player must have an option to display the subtitle after or before the split. (I recommend PotPlayer, one of the best for that kind of job.)

Now, there is another problem. The original subtitles are always encoded in Full-HD (1080p) even in a UHD BD. It is theoretically not possible to encode a subtitle in 4K. It's not really a problem when the subtitle is in 2D or for the 3D subtitles in Half-SBS or Half-TAB mode, but it is not possible to encode the subtitles in 3D for Full-SBS of Full-TAB, as that would mean that the size of the bitmap is larger than the 1080p full-HD officially supported. It's why there is a warning explaining why the 3D subtitles are not supported when you disable the "Half-" option in the last tab of BD3D2MK3D.

I don't know why Pigasus VR displays the subtitles in the middle of the screen, but I suppose that it expects non-standard UHD subtitles, or something like that. Try to verify if there is an option to display the video before or after the split, or, as PotPlayer calls it, to display it "on video (TV OUT)" or "on overlay/VMR/EVR surface". The last option to check is "scale subtitle after or before output". Playing with that kind of options may be sufficient to solve the problem, although I don't think so. Anyway, Pigasus should be able to display a downloaded SRT file in the bottom of the screen (but without any 3D depth), since that files are always in 2D and do not have any placement information.

If there is no option to fine-tune in the player, there is an easy way to be sure to have the subtitles at the right position (and at the right depth if the subtitle has a correct 3D-Plane). Instead of including the subtitle as a stream in the MKV, use the "hardcode subtitle stream on video" option in the last tab. This way, BD3D2MK3D will "burn" the subtitle in the video stream, and it will be always displayed correctly, regardless of the player. Of course, that means that it will be impossible to turn the subtitle off, but IMO, if you need it anyway, it's the best solution. (That method is automatic only for the subtitles present on the original BD. If you need to burn an external subtitle stream like a SRT file, you will have to play a bit with the files generated by BD3D2MK3D before launching the encoding. Let me know if you need to know how to do it.)

In conclusion, to avoid the problem, in absence of options to display the 3D subtitles correctly with your VR player, the easy way is to encode in Half-SBS or Half-TAB instead of Full, or to hardcode the subtitles on the video. Unfortunately, as explained above, there is no "official" way to encode correctly the 3D subtitles for Full-SBS/TAB.

I suggest also to ask to the developer of the Pigasus if the aspect ratio information stored in the MKV and in the video stream can be the causes of the problem. Perhaps there is a bug there. Anyway, try to encode a movie with 3D subtitles after having changed the two AR options in Settings -> Full SBS/T&B Aspect Ratio. As explained to sweetjimmy just before your question in this thread, the AR in Full-SBS/TAB is not officially defined, and some players require to change that options to display the video correctly. That may be also the cause of the problem with the subtitles placement. If you do that test, please let me know the result. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Wow thanks for the very detailed answer.
    I do not mind the subtitle to be in 2d. I also tried H-SBS before. But within the Quest 2, the Full SBS format is much clearer than the H-SBS. So I would not like to downgrade to Half.

As we speak I am creating a file with subtitles hardcoded in the movie. Will let you know when it is done after 5 hours But I expect this to work fine.

And I also tried the Aspect Ratio settings for a sample file. Using the 32:9 or 16:18 AR seems to solve the issue as well with an external SRT file. It is then placed at the "real" bottom of the movie. And more important the movie seems to be still displayed correctly in Pigasus.

Thanks for the quick tips!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by marinden View Post
    And I also tried the Aspect Ratio settings for a sample file. Using the 32:9 or 16:18 AR seems to solve the issue as well with an external SRT file. It is then placed at the "real" bottom of the movie. And more important the movie seems to be still displayed correctly in Pigasus.
    Interesting info ! Please give it to the programmer of the Pigasus VR. He might be interested in fixing this AR problem.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I did. But if I create my movies with 32:9 AR setting and Pigasus is changed, will I then be getting an issue with the AR?
    Quote Quote  
  24. I would like to ask you another question:

There are a lot of settings in BD3D2MK3D and I read some information on this forum already. I am now encoding with Full SBS, CRF=20, preset=medium and level 5.0.
    The output quality looks pretty good, but the creation of the file takes between 5 and 8 hours. Can I speed this up without losing too much image quality?

I know, very subjective question, but I just give it a try
    Quote Quote  
  25. Unfortunately, the AR in Full-SBS/TAB is not correctly defined. In half-SBS, the screen is always 16:9, when the two half-views are side by side, or when they are decoded and re-scaled. Therefore, it is always the same. It's more complex in full-SBS, where the side by side views are in a frame twice as large. Same thing for the SAR and pixel aspect ratio. The question is therefore: what AR should be given ? The one of the side by side combined picture, or the one for the decoded left and right frames ? Unfortunately, the answer depends of the player. Hence the two AR options in the BD3D2MK3D Settings menu. You have to select the best ones for your player.

For the encoding speed, you can change the preset to encode more rapidly, but there will be some changes in the picture quality and more important changes in the final file size (and overall bitrate) of the video stream. Note that it is difficult to know in advance if the quality will be very similar or if it will be really different, and even if it will be better or less good, as that depends of the selected preset and of the movie. The general rule is: faster = slightly less good quality and larger size. IMO, it is better to use a relatively slow preset (I use Slow), but note also that a very slow preset encodes with algorithms more difficult to decode, and that may cause somewhat jerky playback problems when the movie is played on a slow or old hardware player. Indeed, with the Medium or Slow preset, you have to wait some hours, but the final result will be a good quality for a small file size, and that's the most important. Also, stick with the CRF mode (CRF 20 is a good starting point). There are many web sites claiming that is is better to encode in 2-pass, but it's absolutely not true. 2-pass is less good than CRF and even CQ, but much better than ABR. And of course, it is also much slower. Use 2-pass only if you need to control precisely the final file size.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Ok thanks then I will leave my settings as they are, as they are pretty good IMO. You lost me with 2-pass CRF / CQ ABR etc. I do not know what they all mean
    Quote Quote  
  27. They are the main encoding parameters.

For ABR, the simpler but worst mode, you specify the overall bitrate of the video stream. Since the encoder doesn't know what parts of the movie will be more or less difficult to encode, it starts the encoding blindly, and tries to adapt it progressively. But there is a major price to pay. For example, when it is at 90% of the movie, it may have determined a specific quality to obtain the desired overall bitrate. But if the end of the movie is more difficult to encode (for example due to fast moving action scenes) that part will be less well encoded than the rest of the movie. It's why ABR should be avoided.

2-pass is identical to ABR, except that the encoder does a dummy first encoding pass (with less exigent parameters) to analyse the difficulty of the various parts of the movie. The second pass uses that information to use the most suitable bitrate for each part, hence the better overall quality. However, since the first pass was only a fast analysis, there are still chances that the analysis was not perfect, and it's why 2-pass cannot be the best encoding mode.

In CQ and CRF modes, you specify a number that is not directly related to the final bitrate, but instead measures the amount of information the encoder may remove from the original video to compress it. That means that CQ 0 or CRF 0 is lossless, since you specify that nothing can be changed. But of course, the file size will be huge ! The CRF mode is even better than CQ because it compresses much the parts of the movie where the action is fast or the image blurry, as anyway, the human eye cannot see small defects in that kind of scenes. CRF is therefore more efficient for a practical equal quality than CQ, and is of course the best mode. Note that CQ and CRF give unpredictable results regarding the final file size. You specify the quality, not the size. If the movie is really easy to compress (like with clean computer graphics images of animated Pixar movies) the compression will be extremely efficient, while an old movie with much grain, noise or scratches will require a much higher bitrate. It's why 2-pass is useful if you really need a precise final file size (like to put the movie on a DVD).
    Last edited by r0lZ; 10th Apr 2021 at 07:45.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Thanks again for the detailed explaination
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by marinden View Post
    Will let you know when it is done after 5 hours But I expect this to work fine.
    I checked the file but there are not subtitles hardcode into the picture.....
    For me it does not matter at this moment because the placement of the subtitles is now working correctly, but this is only to inform you.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by marinden View Post
    I checked the file but there are not subtitles hardcode into the picture.....
    Are you sure ? Have you really enabled the hardcode subtitle option in the last tab ? Maybe you have selected a wrong subtitle stream, or just the forced subtitles ?

I have used that option a lot of times, and it has always worked fine.
    Quote Quote