VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've gone over the vcdhelp site again and again, and combed through the forums, but I can't seem to find a solution to my problem.
    The problem is on several music videos that I downloaded. When I burn them on to a VCD two thirds of them are fine, but the other third all have a really bad picture. The video looks like a brick wall with diagonal blocks. They play fine before I burn them. I am using the latest version of Nero, and a Lite-On 16x10x40 burner.
    I've run all the files through TMPG and MPEG-Corrector, and I can't seem to fix them. Please help! Don't want a lot of coasters.

PS This is my first attempt at anything VCD. If anyone needs a copy of one of the files to evaluate what's wrong, email me and I'll send you a link.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When does this start to happen? Is it just a video or two in between others or is it say, the last 1/3 of the CD that ends up bad?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the disk, some videos will play fine, and others won't. The video is bad from the second that it starts, and the same files are consistantly bad no matter what order they are in. And the sound is fine in all of them.

BTW, I'm playing them back on my APEX 660 standalone DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does that mean you've tried burning a few different discs with the videos in a different order on the disc?

What are you using to encode with and what do you use to playback with before burning.

If they're DL files were they originally DiVX files?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my experiments, I've done a few different discs, and yes the order of the files changed on each one.

I'm using TMPG to encode, and Windows Media Player to playback (also works with ATI's player).

I don't know if they were originally DiVX. They were all .mpeg or .mpg. How do I tell the original format?

I've also used mpegprop.exe to look at the files, and to my untrained eye I can't see any difference in the ones that work, and the ones that don't.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DiVX is an .avi format so you didn't DL any DiVX files.

It's so hard to give advice on DL files anyway, because you have basically no idea how they were made to begin with. For now all I can suggest is de-muxing them & use bbMPEG to mux them back. Record onto a CD-RW for test porpuses. Since it's always the same videos it shouldn't be a problem with your stand-alone player.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is de-muxing?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    De-multiplexing. It's seperating the audio & video into 2 different files from your original.

In TMPGEnc go to MPEG tools, you'll see the tab for it (de-multiplexing). Choose your source & desination. It takes a few minutes to get done.

When it's done use bbMPEG (TMPGEnc does it too) to multiplex them back into 1 file.

I think there's a guide somewhere here on it too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I'll give that a shot.
    Quote Quote