VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    There is no legitimate reason to run a near-10-year-old browser for primary web surfing. It's stupid beyond stupid.
    Well ... Smurf ... be nice okay ... I read your comments ... I use IE6 ... why ??

Because I use the tool bar that IE6 has ... I dont like digging into IE7 or IE8 ... just to copy or paste something ... and I do ... do a lot of copy and paste with IE6.

It bugs me when I am using IE7 or IE8 that a huge area of real estate on the IE7 tool bar area has nothing there. Why cant MS put some useful tool bar buttons there.

I also dont like Windows Explorer in Vista or Win 7 ... I now have to do several mouse movements before I can see something in a folder or copy or move or paste something in Windows Explorer. Why cant MS put some useful tool bar buttons there.

I do have Vista Ultimate installed on one hard drive for Dual Boot and I have Win 7 Build 7100 Ultimate installed on another hard drive. When I'm trying to do something in a hurry ... errgghhh ... I reboot into WIN XP.

I do have CometBird installed and my main reason is because with BitComet installed ... I use both together to download the flashvideos ... at different sites ... I visit ... 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You aren't required to have AMD-V unless you want to run XP Mode. But you can run VMs without using XP Mode too.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There really is no excuse for using old tech as the PRIMARY means these days. My beef with IE6 isn't that it is outdated as much as it is SEVERELY OUTDATED AT ALMOST A DECADE OLD. At some point, please pull the life support, it's dead.
    It is not dead on my PCs ... I use it a lot and I have no regrets ... security reasons .... no regrets. I have plenty of stuff running in the background to keep me safe.

Yes ... most likely I will catch something again ... but it has been months since I had a nasty adware screwing up my PC and that was on my Laptop I use at work ... I just re-intalled XP and didn't make that mistake again.

There is one person ... former co-worker ...he constantly clicks on that ... "Free ... click to download" button ... never learns his lesson ... he brings his PC to me and I make a few bucks fixing it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lacywest
    There is no legitimate reason to run a near-10-year-old browser for primary web surfing. It's stupid beyond stupid.
    Well ... Smurf ... be nice okay ... I read your comments ... I use IE6 ... why ??

Because I use the tool bar that IE6 has ... I dont like digging into IE7 or IE8 ... just to copy or paste something ... and I do ... do a lot of copy and paste with IE6.
    Use the keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste...

No unsecure outdated browser or toolbar needed.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  5. FulciLives

"AMD-V operates on AMD Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 X2 with family "F" or "G" on socket AM2"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#AMD_virtualization_.28AMD-V.29

Kuma (65nm SOI)
    "MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a, Enhanced 3DNow!, NX bit, AMD64, Cool'n'Quiet, AMD-V"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon_64_X2#Kuma_.2865nm_SOI.29

So based on that information you should be fine.

Quote Quote  
  6. LOL:
    when we actually tested the beta, we found it to be surprisingly clunky
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2346532,00.asp
    Quote Quote  
  7. The bottom line is that you cannot please everyone. People have been complaining about how "bloated" Microsoft's codebase has become. This was necessary to ensure backwards compatibility. People have been saying for years that they need to go back to the drawing board and come up with something that is not quite so "bloated". You cannot do that and keep backward compatibility without it being awkward.

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You cannot do that and keep backward compatibility without it being awkward.
    Oh really?

From the article:

"Designing an emulation mode for an older OS is certainly not a trivial undertaking, but it can be done. When Apple designed an XPM-like compatibility layer for OS X called "Classic Mode," so that OS X could run applications written for OS 9 and earlier versions of the Mac OS, Apple got everything right that Microsoft got wrong with XPM. Apple's Classic Mode fit absolutely seamlessly into OS X. It just worked. You didn't need to jump through hoops to select a printer or find files. "

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2346534,00.asp

So yes, it can be done and has been done.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by RLT69
    You cannot do that and keep backward compatibility without it being awkward.
    Oh really?

From the article:

"Designing an emulation mode for an older OS is certainly not a trivial undertaking, but it can be done. When Apple designed an XPM-like compatibility layer for OS X called "Classic Mode," so that OS X could run applications written for OS 9 and earlier versions of the Mac OS, Apple got everything right that Microsoft got wrong with XPM. Apple's Classic Mode fit absolutely seamlessly into OS X. It just worked. You didn't need to jump through hoops to select a printer or find files. "

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2346534,00.asp

So yes, it can be done and has been done.
    Apple is also a closed architecture that is fully managed from the OS to the applications by one company. With Microsoft, they are just a part of the situation. Apple also does not have Microsoft's market share, so the comparison is rather weak. :P
    Quote Quote  
  10. Apple is also a closed architecture that is fully managed from the OS to the applications by one company. With Microsoft, they are just a part of the situation. Apple also does not have Microsoft's market share, so the comparison is rather weak.
    The issue was about emulation. You stated it could not be done. The article clearly stated Apple was able to do it.

The rest of your post is complete nonsense.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by RLT69
    Apple is also a closed architecture that is fully managed from the OS to the applications by one company. With Microsoft, they are just a part of the situation. Apple also does not have Microsoft's market share, so the comparison is rather weak.
    The issue was about emulation. You stated it could not be done. The article clearly stated Apple was able to do it.

The rest of your post is complete nonsense.
    Not really

You have one company that knows what programming languages are gong to be used for the applications because they created the applications. In the Microsoft world, you have many different companies that use different programming languages. Since you do not know how each progam is constructed, it is difficult to build a compatibility layer. Your suggestion makes even less sense because it would increase the "bloat" that so many people have been complaining about for years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    The bottom line is that you cannot please everyone. People have been complaining about how "bloated" Microsoft's codebase has become. This was necessary to ensure backwards compatibility. People have been saying for years that they need to go back to the drawing board and come up with something that is not quite so "bloated". You cannot do that and keep backward compatibility without it being awkward.

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.
    Putting XP Mode aside (since I don't really care for Virtual PC anyway) have you tried running older version of Windows in VMware Workstation 6.x and run those applications within your host OS using Unity View? And if you don't want to run the entire OS within a VM there is another great VMware application called ThinApp. I'm running a legacy application that was written for NT and is impossible to run on anything else but with ThinApp we were able to extract the application and run it on our XP desktops and even my Windows 7 test box.

With these solutions available MS can unburden their "backwards compatibility" issue and leave the burden on enterprise (and private) developers to port their applications.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just wanted to say thanks to rallynavvie and RLT69 regarding my question.

As for all this talk about virtualization ...

For the past year and a half now (give or take) I've been playing around with Linux and finally ended up installing Linux Mint as my primary OS (been running it for at least a year now if not longer). However I run WinXP Pro using VirtualBox and for the most part it seems to work well. I can scan from WinXP using my USB printer/scanner combo (which was key as scanning in Linux looked like ass). This past Christmas I got an iPod Touch (2nd gen 16MB model) and I can use that with iTunes via VirtualBox. I have had issues burning and ripping though (using my Pioneer DVD burner) but I can do that through Linux as WINE supports ImgBurn and DVDFab HD Decrypter and EAC etc.

However I'm sort of sick of Linux. It's nice in many aspects and it's a thrill to be able to run something other than Windows but really a lot of the stuff I need is for Windows. I hate handbrake for instance. My goto application these days for encoding is XVID4PSP. Also I still love TMPGEnc DVD Author. So sorry if I'm getting off topic but when I build my new computer I think I will simply go for Windows 7 and goodbye Linux and virtualization (unless I need WinXP mode).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    So sorry if I'm getting off topic but when I build my new computer I think I will simply go for Windows 7 and goodbye Linux and virtualization (unless I need WinXP mode).
    Or you can act like me and run several operating systems simultaneously

One of the main reasons I get most of my friends started with VMs is for internet security. You can go to VMware's website, download the free Player, and download the free internet browser appliance. It runs Firefox on an Ubuntu platform but it allows you to surf the net freely without worrying about it taking over your host system. As long as you've got the additional resources (spare CPU core, a little extra RAM) it's a handy thing to have. I went so far as to set up a newer Ubuntu VM for them with Firefox, a torrent client, and some other applications you would use when downloading things from the net and it runs in Unity mode so the application windows are treated just like windows on the host OS. It's hard to describe without seeing it I guess. You need the full version of Workstation to set up VMs with Unity but Player will run those VMs with Unity mode if it's set up that way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You know rallynavvie that's a great idea ... I mean doing it for internet access so the main OS is not "touched" by the internet in that regard.

I guess in a way I've done the reverse ... using Linux as my main OS and WinXP in a virtual window ... I can do internet stuff in Linux without worrying about viruses and what not (well not too much anyways ... Yes I know Linux isn't bullet proof but I've had no problems).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Originally Posted by lacywest

Use the keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste...

No unsecure outdated browser or toolbar needed.
    U mean ... Control + C ..... and Control + V

Yes I do use them ... but not that much .... I have a tool bar at the top ... it works just fine for me.
    in WINXP ... Windows Explorer opens the C Drive ... not My Documents. And the tool bar includes CUT COPY PASTE

In IE 6 .... my tool bar includes .... COPY and PASTE .... kind of hard to CUT a item in a web page.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lacywest
    In IE 6 .... my tool bar includes .... COPY and PASTE .... kind of hard to CUT a item in a web page.
    You can easily add Copy and Paste to the command bar in IE7.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by lacywest
    kind of hard to CUT a item in a web page.
    Drag the mouse over the section you want to cut or copy and use the keyboard shortcuts.

Really simple
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Originally Posted by lacywest
    kind of hard to CUT a item in a web page.
    Drag the mouse over the section you want to cut or copy and use the keyboard shortcuts.

Really simple
    I think her point was that's a COPY (the text remains on the web page) not a CUT.
    Quote Quote