VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

I have been noticing a difference between the timecodes in "raw" .scc files (the file opened in any text editor) and the timecodes you see in subtitle editors, and would like to see if some of you know about it and oculd help me understand where it comes from and why.

Here's the thing, I have been delivering .scc files in drop-frame format for a company that has TV stations as client. However, I haven't been creating these files directly, I first create a .ass or .srt file and then convert them with programs I wrote in Python. I've understood many things about the .scc format in order to be able to write these converters. Now, I received feedback fom the client saying that some captions were less than 1 second, which they shouldn't. I have been making sure that doesn't happen, but I even received a screenshot showing it and realized that those times were ahead the times in the file I sent them.

To confirm this, I went to another caption editor, an online one (that I can't use to do these files because it's owned by another client), and realized it also has some time behind the time in the .scc file it generates. I can't really tell you exactly how big it is because it's not consistent throughout the file. I can only tell you that it can go from 0.333 seconds to 1.4 seconds, always behind (later) in the editor. The actual correct timing for the captions is the one you see in the editor, and not the one you see in the file. If I open the video with the captions in VLC, then they always appear leading the audio. This, of course, can only be tried with videos that have the on-screen TC start at 00:00:00;00, otherwise, VLC would play the caption at that actual time.

Does any of you know why this happens? I could find and use another editor and fix this—which I think I'll probably have to—or create these files from scratch. However, I'd like this converter to work well and, sadly, this is something I haven't been able to detect a pattern for by myslef, like I've done for other things.

I'm attaching two images so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	feedback1.png
Views:	25
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	50922  

Click image for larger version

Name:	feedback2.png
Views:	45
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	50923  

Quote Quote