VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I decided to shoot the moon and go for a GH4.

Originally I was just going to spend around $500 and then I starting reading what an AMAZING camera this is.

I intend on starting to do instructional videos (I am a computer/telecom/AV engee/tech/installer by trade for over 30yrs) and I started by just using my phone to do a video on how I'm building a new carbon fiber road bike but then I thought I need a a good quality camera for shooting my niece's hockey/basketball/soccer games.

So my question is I found a Panasonic Lumix GH4 on Overstock for $1150. do I pull the trigger or should I buy from an AD?

I believe the cost would be around $1300-$1400. My local shop wants $1700 for body only. Amazon wants $1300.

WWYD? Regards,

Clubber the NOOB! (not completely just to DSLR's)
    Quote Quote  
  2. ---
    Last edited by orsetto; 15th Aug 2016 at 11:23.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try https://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    They are one of the larger mail order companies and have a good reputation. They are in NY.
    Beware of 'grey market' cameras that may not come with a US warranty or refurbished or older models.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Try https://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    They are one of the larger mail order companies and have a good reputation. They are in NY.
    Beware of 'grey market' cameras that may not come with a US warranty or refurbished or older models.
    It does not surprise me that B&H would be your 1st suggestion. It is perhaps the fist online retailer that I made a purchase from next to Newegg.

When I bought my first SLR I bought my glass and lighting from B&H WAY before they grew to be the GIANT they are now.

Thanks for your reply. Oh and speaking of glass could you suggest a universal lens with a primary emphasis on video such as a Rokinon or Samyang Cine lens to start with?

My goal is to start out with a single lens/body/mic for under $2K.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are advantages and disadvantages to be aware of when using non-Panasonic-brand lenses on the GH4, which are summed up nicely here. Both Panasonic and Olympus have good AF primes in the 12mm-25mm range which might suit your instructional videos as well or better than the Samyang-Rokinon cine glass, tho the cine glass will have finer manual control. A decent rundown of wide-ish primes and high-grade zooms for video on the GH is here. Longer slower Panasonic tele zooms are available for low $ and give more flexibility if your niece's games are outside in daylight. The Panasonic 14-140 zoom covers all sports bases with one reasonably priced lens, but its slowish and universal zooms involve compromise. You'll probably want one prime or cine lens 25mm or less, and an affordable zoom to handle the sports more effectively. A prime/cine between 50mm and 85mm could be pressed into sports duty but would require a good feel for the playing field and dealing with other constraints.

B&H itself has a page on adapted lenses here. Other GH4 lens suggestions and adapter considerations from users can be found here and here, although you may already have seen these.

Apologies if I misread how far along you'd gotten in the GH4 purchase decision. This topic comes up fairly often, and in many cases the person would be better served by a dedicated camcorder. Since you've apparently settled on the GH4 as your optimum solution, have a blast with it- it is arguably the best compromise of stills/video usability in its price range, and some of the glass is amazing. Check out work by http://russellrutherford.com/, this studio makes extensive use of the Panasonic GH line for motion projects.
    Last edited by orsetto; 15th Aug 2016 at 15:15.
    Quote Quote  
  6. FYI - The Panny GH4 is not a DSLR but a micro four thirds, or MFT, camera.
    Quote Quote