VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have an old (obviously) Panasonic PV-GS150 and a bunch of old tapes that I want to get the videos off of. The camcorder has a Firewire port and have I an old laptop with a Firewire port. I connect the two together, ran WinDV, and everything worked perfectly fine.

However, a few minutes later, I tried again, and I'm stuck with the ever-popular Can't find DV output pin error. Lots of errors online but no actual solutions. I tried every combination of rebooting while the camcorder was connected or not, powered on or not, etc. I just can't get it to work any more.

I also tried ClipChamp and OBS. ClipChamp sees the camcorder but says another application is using it. OBS sees it but just shows a black screen when I add it.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong and if there's anything else I can try to get this to work?

If nothing else, I do have an HDMI capture device that I guess I can use the multimedia output on the camcorder, into the HDMI converted and then into the HDMI capture device, but if I don't have to dink around with all that, I'd prefer not to.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Forget about OBS. Try Scenalyzer Live, it seems to be more reliable when finding a Firewire device.

You can also capture over USB if you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV has become increasingly finnicky as Windows has evolved. With the 150, you have a couple of options.

1. Using your Firewire port, try Scenalyzer. I've found it is more robust than WinDV and will work when WinDV doesn't. It is another DV transfer program.

2. Try the USB connection. No, I'm not going mad. You'll need a USB Mini B plug on one end and a standard A on the other. Connect your 150 to the PC and then WinDV may pick up the camera as a "video edit" device.

I have written a detailed overview of this on my website here:

http://aaproductions.net/dvtransfer.htm

Revert to a non-DV capture only as a last resort.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the ideas. Took a couple tries but I got Scenalyzer to work. If only it was for the giant logo that keeps flashing on the screen every few seconds. Might try the USB or HDMI version because of that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, just noticed the license was in the zip file so trying again
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You can also download it from here.
    Quote Quote