VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have captured this family tape and im pretty happy with the results but there is a blue tinge to some of the whites on the image what could be causing this please and thank you in advance for any help
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don'y know about the blue tinge. Maybe you should have pointed out he frame(s) or point(s) you see it.

However.

Your aspect ratio is all wrong. People are too fat. The circles are elongated. Upscaled ?. Hardly a 'good' result.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I don'y know about the blue tinge. Maybe you should have pointed out he frame(s) or point(s) you see it.

However.

Your aspect ratio is all wrong. People are too fat. The circles are elongated. Upscaled ?. Hardly a 'good' result.
    ok
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Without knowing the tape format (VHS, S-VHS, VHS-C) and how the video ended up in that extremely over-processed state with all the tiny details gone and plasticky look with wrong aspect ratio no one knows for sure what caused it, It could be source related, it could be due to harsh processing, bad playback machine/camcorder ...etc. Post a sample from the first capture so we can have an idea.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Without knowing the tape format (VHS, S-VHS, VHS-C) and how the video ended up in that extremely over-processed state with all the tiny details gone and plasticky look with wrong aspect ratio no one knows for sure what caused it, It could be source related, it could be due to harsh processing, bad playback machine/camcorder ...etc. Post a sample from the first capture so we can have an idea.
    thank you i will post shortly
    Quote Quote  
  6. this is from vhs - i had to encode to mp4 as the lossless original capture sample was over 1gb and the site wouldn't let me post it ... thank you all for your time
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You should encode it at 4:3,not 16:9.What encoder are you using?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This does not really help since it has been re-encoded.

True that a 75 sec lossless will exceed 500 mb but over 1 gb ??

Maybe it would be better to explain your transfer process and list ALL the equip etc. used. Since now I see a 720p vid against the earlier 1080p one
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the op has the original video it can still be encoded as 4:3 and it will help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now with your later sample, play that in vlc but force the aspect ratio to 4:3 and you will see why your version(s) are wrong.

Now the could be another factor. I guess the original camera was not VHS and the recording was transferred to that medium for viewing. Any issues could well have occurred at that stage if my assumption is correct.

For the 'tint' at the 54 sec mark there is some disturbance on the back of the shirt of the blonde lady. If that is your only issue I really would not worry about it and concentrate on getting the picture to display correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You can use a third party cloud storage to post one minute lossless AVI 4:2:2, Though I don't think 1 minute will exceded the 500MB limit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I'd bet money on him using that POS cheap HDMI adapter method.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. But one doesn't need a perfectly captured sample to adjust the colors (though obviously, the exact filtering may be different once the OP's capture process is fixed). AviSynth isn't a great tool for color correction but here's a quick first pass, before and after.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Sep 2021 at 00:41.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That took care of the white unbalance that was caused by the lack of knowledge of the person who shot the video, But the capture was way over processed and looks almost like a painting, I think the OP is capturing directly to a compressed format.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But one doesn't need a perfectly captured sample to adjust the colors (though obviously, the exact filtering may be different once the OP's capture process is fixed). AviSynth isn't a great tool for color correction but here's a quick first pass, before and after.

thats miles better, thank you
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I'd bet money on him using that POS cheap HDMI adapter method.
    You guessed wrong buddy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is not a guessing game.

You were, politely, asked to provide your capture workflow.

You have not even asked for clarity of how jagabo corrected the picture (that might be achievable to a degree outside of avisynth). The biggest take there is that some blues are actually greens with whites now actually being white.
    Quote Quote  
  18. workflow - sony SLV-T2000 vhs (through svideo cable) - Panasonic DMR - ES10 - Kramer VP-418xl <----- svideo in to hdmi output -------> blackmagic intenisty 4k capture card

edited with magix vegas pro and denoised with neat video
    Quote Quote  
  19. That explains all the problems. Wrong aspect ratio, blended frames, poor deinterlacing, frame rate conversion, loss of detail, oversharpening halos, mediocre scaling...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes it is necc. to be cruel to be kind.

Overall you have a decent equip workflow with one exception. I simply fail to see the purpose in upscaling at the point of capture and the deinterlacing done by that has compromised your quality. So....

Remove the upscaler from the chain. Connect a s-video cable from the Panny to the breakout cable for the blackmagic and capture at 576i/25. Do a 20 sec test from the same source and upload that here.

If there are colour issues they may be correctable in Vegas (people who use it will be able to confirm) or I read that the BM also comes with Davinci Resolve - another option for that.

But with a raw capture jagabo may be kind enough to share his knowledge and provide a working avisynth script which would also remove the head-switching VHS noise. The raw capture will also reveal if de-noising is really required. And proper de-noising not the sharpening that has been done.

Any resizing/deinterlacing can also be achieved correctly by avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thank you all for your feedback, im going to re-think how i have been capturing as i know you guys know alot more than me
    Quote Quote  
  22. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    workflow - sony SLV-T2000 vhs (through svideo cable) - Panasonic DMR - ES10 - Kramer VP-418xl <----- svideo in to hdmi output -------> blackmagic intenisty 4k capture card

edited with magix vegas pro and denoised with neat video
    After all Lordsmurf wasn't that wrong, There is HDMI involved. That's what you get when you drift off rec.601.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    That took care of the white unbalance that was caused by the lack of knowledge of the person who shot the video, But the capture was way over processed and looks almost like a painting, I think the OP is capturing directly to a compressed format.
    i capture using - Lagarith Lossless Codec
    Quote Quote  
  24. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Capturing to a lossy format using the right gear is better than capturing lossless using the wrong gear, .
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Capturing to a lossy format using the right gear is better than capturing lossless using the wrong gear, .

from what i can tell is , i need to remove the scaler and go straight through the capture card through the svideo port and stick to 4:3 aspect ratio

thank you all for your help i really do appreciate it
    Quote Quote