VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is this interlacing artifacts? (a still captured from a MP4 video file)

Name:  Interlaced.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  27.3 KB

If so, using Handbrake to remove those lines made video a little blurry.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  2. It looks to be originally interlaced with separate fields - but it has been resized (at least in the screenshot), thus making it much more difficult to treat

There are special rules and techniques for resizing interlaced content , which were not followed

Is that a 1:1 screenshot of the original video ? or did you resize it? or if there is any doubt, post a sample of the original video
    Quote Quote  
  3. It was a frame grab from MPCHC.

https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24283&stc=1&d=1395880343

Here is a YouTube link to the full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMAQ3rIcSgs The interlacing does not show up on the youtube copy. I had the original sent to me through dropbox which has the problem.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by TreeTops; 26th Mar 2014 at 18:42.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In handbrake click on video filters and choose deinterlace slower setting.
    Image Attached Files
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes original has interlaced content, but encoded with progressive settings

It's already blurry / poor condition to begin with.

You can try using higher bitrate in handbrake and/or better deinterlacers in other programs

The youtube version has been deinterlaced (youtube can apply deinterlace), but only single rate - so it's missing 1/2 the motion samples (motion is not as smooth). I think the nightly handbrake builds have the option to bob deinterlace (so you don't drop 1/2 the frames). YT version has also other processing done to it (it's zoomed in more) probably the result of stabilization

There is strong evidence that the MP4 version you uploaded isn't the "real" original. There are details and textures missing that present are in the YT version. Also your version has compression artifacts that the YT version doesn't
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 26th Mar 2014 at 19:20.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Another try with handbrake with slower deinterlacing selected and a slightly faster bit rate seemed to improve the video somewhat.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Are you using handbrake on the MP4 ? The same as the one you uploaded ? Do you have the original video ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes to all 3 questions above.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Yes to all 3 questions above.
    But there is no way that MP4 you uploaded can be the "original". I think there is some misunderstanding

Quality doesn't "increase" when YT re-encodes it. If anything it should look worse on YT, at least worse than your version if it was the "original"

Here are the same frames, and the YT version is zoomed in more ; but compare out the ground textures, the bleachers in the background. Your version has been deinterlaced for this, but that doesn't explain the missing details and compression artifacts
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65 yt.png
Views:	312
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	24285  

Click image for larger version

Name:	65 your version.png
Views:	328
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	24286  

Quote Quote  
  10. You sure could be correct about it not being the original. I was told by the lady that put in drop box for me that it was the original but who knows, maybe her husband ran it through a video editor first. I could ask what kind of camera they used. Would that help?
    Quote Quote