VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I think this guide is warranted after I noticed there were plenty of new members asking the question, "what freeware tools can I use to convert a DVD to a format that is excepted by youtube" to answer this question there are 2 tools that are needed, well 3 if you include DVDFab HD Decrypter for the ripping of a protected DVD, so with the help of copy & paste here is what is needed & the format we are going to finish with is MPEG2 which is an excepted format as of July 10, 2009

1) VOB2MPG : to go through a whole DVD VIDEO_TS folder and joins up the various vobsets to produce MPGs for the different titles.
    2) MPG2CUT2 : for basic cutting of Mpeg2 Program Stream files(DVD, SVCD, HDTV, DTV, TS).

Firstly, you will need to rip the DVD to your hard drive, for this you can use DVDFAB or just drag & drop if DVD is unprotected, please note, putting up copyright material on YouTube may be in breach of the rules, so please check.

Secondly, once you have your VIDEO_TS folder, you can use VOB2MPG to go through and join all the vobsets, once this is done, you will end up with an MPEG2 file of the main video, note: at this stage, the video file is already in a format that YouTube excepts which is MPEG2.

Thirdly, Now you can use MPG2CUT2 to cut up your MPEG2 file into as many little clips as you wish, once you have saved all cuts, you are ready to upload to youtube.

I encourage you to experiment with the tools & above all, have fun learning.

Also, please see this post https://forum.videohelp.com/topic336882.html, credit to the original poster, 45tripp, you may find a wealth of knowledge in that discussion for preparing higher quality video for upload & advanced features.

Good luck

Thanks to Guns1inger for his advice, and who is of great help on these forums
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah GHOST, I saw that thread and it was just too overwhelming and it originated 2 years ago, so I thought there might be an easier way of doing it.

Thanks again! I'm working on your technique right now...
    Quote Quote  
  3. That thread really is not aimed for the beginner, but feel free to ask questions in that thread, I am sure you will get some great help, I decided to post this guide so people who are new like your self, have an easy way of extracting video from a DVD & editing/cutting for upload to youtube, I am not saying it is the best way or that you will get the best quality, but it is an easy & good way of doing it, I do this for youtube uploads myself (which is rare), but then again, I don't care much for quality on youtube, if i did, I would definitely take note of the above mentioned thread.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to capture video clips from a DVD as MPEG2s for use in PowerPoint presentations. Sometimes these presentations are projected on a 25-foot screen, so I'm looking for the best quality I can get. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Welcome

I don't know much about PP, but you can definitely use vob2mpg to convert your VOB's from your DVD to MPEG2 clips, then use mpg2cut2 to cut your mpeg's up into smaller clips to use with PP. So long as you do not re-encode the DVD, you should get the best possible quality (as good as the original DVD), However, I don't know what it will look like on a 25 foot screen.

If you have an opportunity, do a small test & see what it looks like.

Denis
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by astrocruises
    I want to capture video clips from a DVD as MPEG2s for use in PowerPoint presentations. Sometimes these presentations are projected on a 25-foot screen, so I'm looking for the best quality I can get. Any suggestions?
    Not sure how PowerPoint has anything at all to do with the guide that is the subject of this thread. Next time, if it is a new topic, start a new thread in the appropriate forums.

Use VOB2MPG to get the mpg video/audio file from the VOBs, then convert to WMV with Windows Media Encoder. While you can, in theory, embed any video you have codecs for into a PP presentation, it works best with WMV
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. HI,

I want to make clips from movies I download, not DVDs. Does your Guide apply to them as well?

Thanks for your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry that this went un noticed for so long, but to answer your question (if you still need it answered), the guide is for VOB/MPEG source files only, the fact that we don't know what format your files are in, depends on the tools you will need, if your files are mpeg based, this will work, if they are xvid/divx (which I suspect they are) you will need an AVI editor like VirtualDub, AviDemux etc, hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by G)-(OST
    Welcome

I don't know much about PP, but you can definitely use vob2mpg to convert your VOB's from your DVD to MPEG2 clips, then use mpg2cut2 to cut your mpeg's up into smaller clips to use with PP. So long as you do not re-encode the DVD, you should get the best possible quality (as good as the original DVD), However, I don't know what it will look like on a 25 foot screen.

If you have an opportunity, do a small test & see what it looks like.

Denis
    You say to use mpg2cut2 to cut the DVD into smaller segments. But you haven't told us the friendly way of how to use this program. I have tried reading the help/readme and it's very hard to understand. I don't even think segment splitting is even covered. Is it possible to automatically cut every 10 minutes ? (youtube's max. length per video).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope this thread has not ended as I am trying to learn some of the techniques mentioned. Please continue---and I hope my post does not violate some rule that this newbie has not learned yet. If so---sorry and please advise.

Thanks
    Quote Quote