VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, as the title suggests, I recently obtained the R4 DVDs of the Ocean Dub of DBZ, since it's the highest quality release they've had in terms of visual clarity. Unfortunately, they have a lot of frame blending and ghosting due to the PAL conversion, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to fix this (I use VirtualDub and MeGUI). I've uploaded a sample ripped straight from the DVD. Do you guys have any ideas on whether or not this is fixable?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. You'll have to use AviSynth.

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("Ep. 3 Recap\VTS_04_1.d2v", Info=3) 
    QTGMC() # or Yadif(mode=1) for faster, but not as good, processing
    SRestore()
    That will get you a 23.975 fps video with (most) blended fields removed and no change in running time. Of course, it could use a lot of other cleanup too. Sample attached.

Given this is a field blended NTSC to PAL conversion it doesn't have any better resolution than the NTSC source (in fact it has bad oversharpening halos in the vertical dimension and lots of other defects). So you're probably better off starting with an NTSC DVD if there's a decent one available.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You'll have to use AviSynth.

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("Ep. 3 Recap\VTS_04_1.d2v", Info=3) 
    QTGMC() # or Yadif(mode=1) for faster, but not as good, processing
    SRestore()
    That will get you a 23.975 fps video with (most) blended fields removed and no change in running time. Of course, it could use a lot of other cleanup too. Sample attached.

Given this is a field blended NTSC to PAL conversion it doesn't have any better resolution than the NTSC source (in fact it has bad oversharpening halos in the vertical dimension and lots of other defects). So you're probably better off starting with an NTSC DVD if there's a decent one available.
    It seems to look good when it's just static images or slight movement. When they actually start moving, the cracks seem to show. If this is really the best it's gonna get, then I might just have to scrap using these.
    Quote Quote