VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all. The machine I'm using is Toshiba Satellite, operating windows 7 professional. It's 64 bit.

I am not up on this stuff at all. For forgive me if I can't speak the jargon. While my subject line makes the claim that Avidemuxe won't follow my instructions, that doesn't mean that I believe that's the problem. I don't know how else to express it. It's most certainly something I'm missing, but I do fear changing too many settings and really getting lost.

Simply, I am able to shorten vids with Avidemuxe, which is all that I use it for. But it seems like I can only do it once. If I try to do it a second time, finding that the first result was unsatisfactory, the program won't cooperate. I looked at the settings, which are a mystery to me, hoping to find something in plain English along the lines of 'overwrite?'. I thought I found something, but it didn't pan out. I even once got the msg asking me whether I wanted to overwrite a file I already had, clicked 'yes' and it did no good. I was only trying to shorten further an already super short piece of vid. This happens to me all the time. I should mention that after experimenting, I settled on mkv output, since the results with that extension didn't show weird distortion at the start of the clip the way my otherwise fine mp4 did.

Apologies if this is the wrong spot for my query. I am always guessing where to ask and, it seems, always getting it wrong.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    * About 32 trillion $ sit, untaxed, in offshore tax havens, while 'leaders' whine that they can't afford social spending!! *
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    if I understand you correctly, you can't work with very short videos? I also encountered this problem. It gets error, that video is too short even it has 2 or more minutes. Also if you are using video copy mode, do you know, it is possible only cut on I frames type? In other words, cut out unwanted parts anywhere you want, you have to recompress whole video.
    But I think i don't understand you very well. Then sorry.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 12th Jan 2018 at 17:18. Reason: can to can't
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now if I read you correctly you are attempting to change the A/B markers several times in the same video.

Well I just tried to do that and had no problems. On each occasion the video was saved using copy for both audio and video. And also with new filenames or existing one.

Your issue could be the container/codec of the video. I suggest you provide more details and even a sample of the video you are attempting to re-edit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. The videos I might try to edit are usually YouTube vids, but not always. They aren't particularly short, although when I edit them I end up with something short. The A & B application seems straightforward enough. I found the 'undo' button. My finished edit, before I hit 'save', will have only one A and one B. My problem occurs when I try to do a second edit, either with the results of the first edit or an entirely new edit with the same original video. I even uninstalled and re-installed Avidemuxe and that didn't fix it!
    * About 32 trillion $ sit, untaxed, in offshore tax havens, while 'leaders' whine that they can't afford social spending!! *
    Quote Quote