VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can make this happen by checking the "Listen to this device" option in the settings of the mic and in VSDC setting the audio to Sterio Mix. The problem is that I speak and then what I said plays back from the speaker slightly delayed. So everything I say is slightly delayed from the video. Is there a better way to do this with VSDC screen recorder?

Thanks,
    Volk
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Volkner View Post
    I can make this happen by checking the "Listen to this device" option in the settings of the mic and in VSDC setting the audio to Sterio Mix. The problem is that I speak and then what I said plays back from the speaker slightly delayed. So everything I say is slightly delayed from the video. Is there a better way to do this with VSDC screen recorder?

Thanks,
    Volk
    it should work with Audacity - https://superuser.com/questions/755360/recording-microphone-and-computer-audio-at-the-...e-in-windows-8
    Quote Quote  

3. Thanks for the response.

Is Audacity also a screen recorder? Or do I run both VSDC and Audacity at the same time and combining the audio and video in the editor?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    I can make this happen by checking the "Listen to this device" option in the settings of the mic and in VSDC setting the audio to Sterio Mix. The problem is that I speak and then what I said plays back from the speaker slightly delayed. So everything I say is slightly delayed from the video. Is there a better way to do this with VSDC screen recorder?

Thanks,
    Volk
    EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read properly, still thinking lol
    Quote Quote  
  5. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Does VSDC not give you an option in the settings to include narration from another audio source? This is what Bandicam offers me:

Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by CursedLemon View Post
    Does VSDC not give you an option in the settings to include narration from another audio source? This is what Bandicam offers me:
    VDSC doesn't offer that option that I can find. What I did find for VDSC said to use the "sterio mic" option, which does work, it just doesn't work well. Having everything I say, repeated back to me with a slight delay out of my PC speakers is obnoxious to say the least.

What few mic settings there are in VDSC seem to have no apparent function or they are greyed out entirely. Maybe they are only functional/available in the purchased version of VDSC. I have no objection to buying to full version, but I don't want to if it won't do what I want it to do. I'm in the test and try phase of things right now.

I've no objection to using some other software if that other software will accomplish what I want to accomplish, and I have no objection to paying for that software so long as I know it will do what I want it to do.

Maybe I'll give Bandicam a go. Reading their websight suggests that it will. Glad you mentioned it. That may well have solved my problem.

Thanks,
    Volk
    Quote Quote  
  7. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CursedLemon View Post
    VDSC doesn't offer that option that I can find. What I did find for VDSC said to use the "sterio mic" option, which does work, it just doesn't work well. Having everything I say, repeated back to me with a slight delay out of my PC speakers is obnoxious to say the least.

What few mic settings there are in VDSC seem to have no apparent function or they are greyed out entirely. Maybe they are only functional/available in the purchased version of VDSC. I have no objection to buying to full version, but I don't want to if it won't do what I want it to do. I'm in the test and try phase of things right now.

I've no objection to using some other software if that other software will accomplish what I want to accomplish, and I have no objection to paying for that software so long as I know it will do what I want it to do.

Maybe I'll give Bandicam a go. Reading their websight suggests that it will. Glad you mentioned it. That may well have solved my problem.

Thanks,
    Volk
    I purchased a Bandicam license and it's a pretty great program if you just want to pull it up and record something without going through the hassle of, for example, setting up an entire OBS session for screen recording.

Bandicam does mouse scrolling, mouse cursor effects, multiple audio inputs, secondary video input e.g. from a webcam, DirectX capture for games, and supports HEVC and NVENC.

EDIT: It also lets you control keyframe interval and supports VFR and VBR (unsure of exactly what type of VBR it uses), and it will let you record to an external codec if you select .AVI recording
    Last edited by CursedLemon; 5th Oct 2022 at 11:40.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by CursedLemon View Post
    I purchased a Bandicam license and it's a pretty great program if you just want to pull it up and record something without going through the hassle of, for example, setting up an entire OBS session for screen recording.

Bandicam does mouse scrolling, mouse cursor effects, multiple audio inputs, secondary video input e.g. from a webcam, DirectX capture for games, and supports HEVC and NVENC.
    I download the trial version and try it out when I get home this evening. I'll let you know how it goes.

Peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In going Analog --> Digital ... Digital --> Analog, there is ALWAYS latency. How much depends on the quality of the devices, and especially on the amount of processing (many use BUFFERS) being done and stages involved in the (digital side of the) chain.

Better sound cards/devices have a "pass-through", where the mic analog feed can be automatically routed out to the analog output, so in essence the chain is merely Analog --> Analog.

If you don't have that capability, especially going through some of the tools you've mentioned, it is very likely you will experience noticeable latency. No getting around that, it is just physics and the current state of gear.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    In going Analog --> Digital ... Digital --> Analog, there is ALWAYS latency. How much depends on the quality of the devices, and especially on the amount of processing (many use BUFFERS) being done and stages involved in the (digital side of the) chain.

Better sound cards/devices have a "pass-through", where the mic analog feed can be automatically routed out to the analog output, so in essence the chain is merely Analog --> Analog.

If you don't have that capability, especially going through some of the tools you've mentioned, it is very likely you will experience noticeable latency. No getting around that, it is just physics and the current state of gear.

Scott
    Thanks for the response.

The latency doesn't bother me so much as the reverb effect. Hearing myself speak slightly after speaking is disconcerting, distracting, and annoying. I don't want have my voice coming out of the speakers at all. Just record it, no need to route it out the speakers, and right now I have no other means of recording both PC speaker audio and mic audio at the same time except by routing the mic out the PC speakers. I can adjust for the latency in the editor later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's what latency is - a delay, like reverb.

However, the issue of only being able to record 1 set of tracks and having all items mixed into those tracks, and having all tracks output to the speakers - that is up to the app used. Multitrack DAWs do not have this issue (I use ProTools, Audition, and a few others). The better NLEs can do this as well.

In fact, you might benefit from using something like VoiceMeeter. It can insinuate itself into the Windows recording/playback chain and give you "mixing board" type features, including track solo, routing, etc. Plus, being a shim of the whole Windows OS, it can be run concurrent with other A/V apps, such as Zoom, OBS, etc (when properly configured).

Hope that helps,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    ...you might benefit from using something like VoiceMeeter ...
    OK, thanks for the tip. I'll check out VoiceMeeter as well.
    Quote Quote  
  13. @CursedLemon

I checked out Bandicam. It did exactly what I needed it to do and it was very easy to use.

The only draw back I saw was the 10 minute limit. It's not a 10 minute limit on each video, but a 10 minutes total before the trial runs out. So you better check out everything you want to check out before that 10 minutes is up. Not knowing that I tested a few function, but didn't test them all before the time was up. I went ahead and rolled the dice though, and picked up the license. Everything works well. I'm happy with software. Glad you suggested it.

Peace,
    Volk
    Quote Quote  
  14. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    @CursedLemon

I checked out Bandicam. It did exactly what I needed it to do and it was very easy to use.

The only draw back I saw was the 10 minute limit. It's not a 10 minute limit on each video, but a 10 minutes total before the trial runs out. So you better check out everything you want to check out before that 10 minutes is up. Not knowing that I tested a few function, but didn't test them all before the time was up. I went ahead and rolled the dice though, and picked up the license. Everything works well. I'm happy with software. Glad you suggested it.

Peace,
    Volk
    Interesting, I didn't know they ran their trial like that. Regardless, I'm happy you like it!
    Quote Quote