VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I need help, which is the best method to pass AVI lagarith file to MPEG in best quality possible? I've been checking many softwares but I haven't made a final decision, thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Almost all common video formats for storage and viewing are a version of MPEG. Therefore asking for "MPEG" is almost as generic as asking for lossy compressed digital video.

What is your goal? MKV/MP4, DVD, VCD?
    And what's the actual source of your Lagarith avi? Was it VHS or something else?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Almost all common video formats for storage and viewing are a version of MPEG. Therefore asking for "MPEG" is almost as generic as asking for lossy compressed digital video.

What is your goal? MKV/MP4, DVD, VCD?
    And what's the actual source of your Lagarith avi? Was it VHS or something else?
    my goal is keep footage in MPEG 2, it's from VHS, I dont have big space to keep everything in Lossless, I hope you can help me
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    MPEG-2 is very inefficient, Use h.264. For the same file size h.264 provides better quality and for the same quality h.264 is like the 1/3rd or 1/4th of the MPEG-2 file size. Are the files de-interlaced or not?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    MPEG-2 is very inefficient, Use h.264. For the same file size h.264 provides better quality and for the same quality h.264 is like the 1/3rd or 1/4th of the MPEG-2 file size. Are the files de-interlaced or not?
    I see, AVI files are interlaced, I wanted to keep them interlaced, or should I dont?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That depends on what media you want to store the video on and how you want to watch the end result.

MPEG2 should only be used if you want to make DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by FelipeArchives View Post
    Hello, I need help, which is the best method to pass AVI lagarith file to MPEG in best quality possible? I've been checking many softwares but I haven't made a final decision, thanks

free you have : avidemux (just make sure in the options to pick interlaced / top field first), mpeg2 encoding only (not full dvd with menus)

payware: Tmpgenc authoring works (can make full dvd in high quality), trial version for 30 days
    https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/taw6.html#trial
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote