VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ret. Hippie Guitar Player Axel Slingerland's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a (possibly dumb) question for you technically inclined video users. Is it possible to use a 3 input x 1 output HDMI Switch in reverse and use it as a 1 input x 3 output? Instead of (for example) a PS4, a DVD Player and a Cable TV Box plugged into 3 inputs, can you plug the switch into the Cable TV Box and send the output to one of the three HDMI plugs? (Which would then be outputs.) Or are HDMI Switches not simple switches? I would like one connection for my TV, and another one to go to an HDMI Splitter, that sends the signal to two TVs. (I don't plan to use #3.)

I have looked around various websites and this forum for a couple of hours and not found anything that says anything about this. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An HDMI port can be a source (for output only) or a sink (for input only) so your idea can't work because HDMI connections are one-way and don't work in the opposite direction.

An HDMI splitter provides multiple outgoing connections from a single input but all the outputs are active. I haven't seen any splitter-type devices that include a switch that allows using only one output at a time.

The closest thing that I have seen to what you want is an HDMI Matrix Switch.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Oct 2020 at 21:24.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, there are reversible mechanical HDMI switches. And there are dedicated HDMI selector boxes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ret. Hippie Guitar Player Axel Slingerland's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, well... I had hoped to not to have to buy another powered splitter, but I suppose I'll have to. I saw some bi-directional switches, but the look cheap and I have my doubts about them.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see your reply before I posted this, Jagabo. I try searching for those types of switches.

Thanks, guys!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a couple like this (probably a clone). They work okay as a one to two switch, but not the other way around. HDMI splitters and switches are cheap, get what you need.

Edit: I had a 4 port matrix switch. It lasted about a year before it started to flake out, working intermittently. The thing is, HDMI is all or nothing. Either all the connections are solid or you get a severely degrade signal or nothing at all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found something that seems to be a bi-directional mechanical switch like jagabo suggested: https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Switch-Switcher-Bi-Direction-Support/dp/B013SPYFWW
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Oct 2020 at 23:17. Reason: fixed link
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I recall, you can't A/B or A/B/C on the switch linked above with a live source. You have to switch off the unused devices and wait a while, 10-20 seconds? before switching outputs because the required HDMI handshake protocol. That's what happened with my 4 port matrix switch. It was easier and more reliable to physically swap cables.

Even automatic switches sometimes get confused when switching source, sometimes refusing to switch to the new source as long a the original one is still on.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ret. Hippie Guitar Player Axel Slingerland's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Found one... Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought this from 'Frys',

http://cirago.com/bhdmswitch2x1w4k.php

*I guess they dont sell it anymore-but sell similar*,

This Cirago *only 2x1*, works as advertised.
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote