VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Kind of bummed out after buying a Vivitar 840xhd HD camcorder and I can't view the files on anything other than there crappy image manager software which I can't edit in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Question one : What format does this camera produce ? This may influence the choice of software

Question two : What version of iMovie ? Apple has a habit of constantly revising the features and codecs in different versions of iMovie, so not all codecs are valid in all versions

Question three : Can you better complete the computer details in your profile so that say a little more than just MacBook. Look at the system details under the Apple menu on the finder, starting with About This Computer (or similar)

Lowest common denominator format that will work is DV, so anything that can convert your source to DV will work, however DV is not HD. Don't know if all versions of iMovie will handle HD material.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moved to the mac forum where you can get more responses.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To answer your question, You'll need to mount the camera, either as a HD, or
    mount the memory card the camera uses.

Once you do that, you should be able to use MpegStreamclip to
    open the .avi files from the Camera and convert them to
    DV Stream files, which (any version of) iMovie likes...

and for what its worth, a quick google search would have turned up
    the answer before purchasing:
    Vivitar 840xhd HD imovie
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. I actually did a bunch of google searches before asking here, whats funny is when I click on your link those are both questions I posted. The reason I got the camera was the price was right and it shot HD, but I'm starting to figure out its a piece. What do you mean by mounting? I'm curious because I tried streamclip and when I dragged the files in it played but it was a white screen and no audio, also I couldn't find an exporting option.

@Gunslinger: I'm using iMovie 09', I thought the format was AVI, sorry I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to video. Sorry bout' the profile info... fixed it up better.

@johnso: Sorry bout' the crossthread, I was reading the threads in the conversion forum and they just seemed way more advanced than mine so I posted again in the newbie section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Open your files in MediaInfo, post what the text view shows here so then we accurately know what your dealing with as a source. Without knowing that we'll only be making educated guesses really.
    Quote Quote  
  7. k, I'll try it out, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Media info told me:

AVI: 1.78 MiB, 1s 501ms
    1 video stream: AVC
    Writing Library:
    AMBA
    ICRT: 00:02:28

Video:
    9 808 Kbps, 1440*1080 (16:9), at 29.970 fps, AVC (Main@L4.0) (CABC / 4 Ref Frames)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Solved, I found a converting program called prism that will convert the avi format to mov which iMovie 09' reads. Its blocky but I think I just need to figure out the output better.

Has anyone used Prism?
    Quote Quote