VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I just bought a little Zotac to serve as MythTV frontend. I added mythvideo plugin and now all my movies are listed and playable within MythTV ... but most of them need aspect ratio to be corrected.
    Is there any way to edit file header(s) to let player know if it is 4:3, 16:9 or 2.35:1?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, I have to answer my question myself. MKV container header can be edited to let player know how picture has to be scaled, mkvtoolnix has a tool for it. Works with Mplayer and mythvideo, these are the two players I use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for posting your solution.

For avis can you use MPEG4 Modifier to change display aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MPEG4 Modifier modifies a MPEG-4 ASP video (XviD, DivX) ...
    That's interesting, it claims it is modifying video header, not container header. Too bad it requires Windows, my last Windows died back in 2003.

But then again, from authors webpage:
    The video must be in an AVI container.
    Maybe it is modifying container header after all. Hmmm, don't have any AVI files either.
    Quote Quote  
  5. AVI doesn't really support aspect ratios. Mpeg4Modifier modifies the Divx/Xvid internal aspect ratio flags. It can only parse an AVI container.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, actually it claims to work on MPEG-4 ASP video, not only Divx and Xvid. I wonder if it works on plain video, without container. Also, it seems there is source code available ...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Divx/Xvid are two implementations of MPEG 4 ASP. Mpeg4Modifier only works with AVI files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, actually it claims to work on MPEG-4 ASP video, not only Divx and Xvid.
    Divx/Xvid are two implementations of MPEG 4 ASP.
    Yes, but not the only ones. BTW, I have been using AVC so this utility really can't help me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Randombit View Post
    Yes, but not the only ones.
    Nobody said they were.

Originally Posted by Randombit View Post
    BTW, I have been using AVC so this utility really can't help me.
    So why did you keep following up on when you were told in the first reference it only worked with MPEG4 ASP in AVI?

You can use MP4Box to set the AR at the MP4 container level.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Because I'm interested in everything, even in stuff I cannot use. Folks around me often ask me for advice, see, they think I'm a geek and know everything. They are mistaken indeed, nobody knows everything, but I often can answer their questions. Do you condemn inquisitiveness?
    MP4Box is another interesting utility, thank you.
    Quote Quote