VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am about to get a capture card so that I can archive all my old 8mm and Hi8 tapes to SVCD. I was reading an earlier posting that suggested that it would be best to get a DV8 camera however I am $ limited and can't run to a new camera or a DVD-R.
    I currently have a Sony TR1100E Hi8 camera and was looking at the Dazzle DV Creator 2 or the Hollywood Bridge. As far as I can tell they both allow capture of High resolution analogue video, DVC 2 converts to MPEG2 and Hollywood Bridge to DV. One factor that has lead me down this path is the ability of the above system to work in both PAL AND NTSC (rather than some devices which work in PAL OR NTSC) since although I am currently in working in the US I will return to the UK in 2-3 years time.
    I need to be able to convert from a PAL source (my old Std8 & Hi8 tapes) to both PAL & NTSC outputs in SVCD. I have preference for the DVC2 since it converts to MPEG2 which can be laid straight down on to a SVCD without too much reprocessing, but is the DV format better for archiving and editing?.
    Before I take the plunge and shell out my $250 are there any other (i.e. cheaper) devices that will do the same similar functions.
    My PC is an IwillKK266/AMDDuron800 with 512Mb RAM and 30Gb/ATA100 HD
    Quote Quote  
  2. Make sure if you get the dazzle II you can return it without a problem, because the company warns you that it may not work with some AMD Athlon or Duron Processors, Had one person post today on this very site with this problem on his dazzle II and a AMD Athlon 1.2 gig processor.
    I have a 1.2 Thunderbird so I stayed away from dazzle and got the Happuage PVR MPEG1 or MPEG2 encoder, works great for me it will do PAL or NTSC if get the patch from their German Web Site.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Video data rate for DV is 25 mega bits per second, which means a typical 90 minute movie capture will be about 20 mega bytes on disk. I mention this because you are $ limited and might not have enough available hard disk space for capturing, editing, encoding to another format, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Darkbird on 2001-10-02 10:13:54 ]</font>
    Quote Quote