VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all.

I am new to the world of MiniDV Capture, as I have only really transferred camera tapes from VHS, and Video8.

I have recently gotten a large amount MiniDV tapes to put onto DVD, and the customer lent me his 17 year old Sony MiniDV camera, to allow me to do the transfer.

While I don't have a Firewire capture card, I noticed my trusty Panasonic DMR-XW380 HDD recorder, which I use to capture recordings has a firewire port on the front panel. I bought this cable https://www.geewiz.co.za/42591-large_default/unbranded-cab057-firewire-4-pin-to-4-pin-...-15-m-long.jpg

While the cable fits perfectly between the HDD/DVD Recorder & Video camera, I cannot get the camera picture on the hard drive recorder.

I made sure that the setting on the camera to enable the RF>DV was enabled, and the HDD recorder was set to the DV Input. but still no picture.

Is it a issue of compatibility due to the fact that my Recorder is a Panasonic, and Camera is Sony? Or are there other issues at play here. I do have a Panasonic DV Camera, but I suspect a fuse has blown, as I can't get power. But that's something for another day.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to the user manual, both the HDD/DVD Recorder and the camera must be turned off BEFORE you insert the firewire cable (Pages 60-61)

Of course the issue maybe the camera, the connector on the camera, the cable itself or the connector on the recorder.
    Quote Quote