VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Sounds strange, there must be an explanation somewhere in MPEG VCR...

Anyway, aspect ratio is just a simple setting in the first header of the video file, so you can change it back 4:3 without re-encoding or even writing a new file, using for example the freeware DVDPatcher : http://kickme.to/dvdpatcher
    It should take about 2 secondes...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by lchiu7
    Then tried something else - encode the entire avi file into MPEG2 format using the Mainconcept MPEG2 encoder and author that. This works fine but of course the ads are still there
    Larry,

I've been using Adobe Premier Pro 7.0 all day, and it's very easy to remove the ads from an MPG-2 file with that program.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Milo
    Sounds strange, there must be an explanation somewhere in MPEG VCR...

Anyway, aspect ratio is just a simple setting in the first header of the video file, so you can change it back 4:3 without re-encoding or even writing a new file, using for example the freeware DVDPatcher : http://kickme.to/dvdpatcher
    It should take about 2 secondes...
    Thanks - that did it. When I started up the program it said the file was 16:9 (so Womble had changed it somehow). Changed the AR to 4:3 and all is fine. Such an easy fix!

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by PolarBearWY
    Originally Posted by lchiu7
    Then tried something else - encode the entire avi file into MPEG2 format using the Mainconcept MPEG2 encoder and author that. This works fine but of course the ads are still there
    Larry,

I've been using Adobe Premier Pro 7.0 all day, and it's very easy to remove the ads from an MPG-2 file with that program.
    I just tried that. On my Athlon 2400+ XP Pro SP1 1G memory. I can import the file fine and while it is processing the audio move it into the Monitor window. In that window when I move the picture market around to position the place where I want to begin/end segments to move to the timeline, there is a noticeable lag between positioning the cursor and the picture catching up. When editing the avi file (in MJPEG format) the picture changes instantaneously

Also when outputting the file via the MPEG Media Encoder, using the same settings it is taking twice as long to re-encode the video. I can't see an option to not re-encode the video so that's twice the work

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  5. Suggest you use TMPenc DVD author. Isue it all the time for just what your doing and it is fab.. Even has its own burning software built in. go through the timeline, place start and finish points and edit out the stuff you dont want. Not free but fab
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by bigeck
    Suggest you use TMPenc DVD author. Isue it all the time for just what your doing and it is fab.. Even has its own burning software built in. go through the timeline, place start and finish points and edit out the stuff you dont want. Not free but fab
    Thanks. I am also playing around with Womble at the moment. The previous I tried was buggy in that with a file over about an hour long, it only processed the first 50 minutes or so. The newer version 3.14 seems to take in a whole 4.5G 90 minute file encoded in MJPEG format and is able to edit the file okay

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've been using Adobe Premier Pro 7.0 all day, and it's very easy to remove the ads from an MPG-2 file with that program.
    Premier Pro edits mpeg?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by qlizard
    Premier Pro edits mpeg?
    It does but not very well. You can import a mpeg file and edit it but you have to re-encode it to get a new mpeg file which adds compression artifacts. Plus it's really slow (this on a Athlon 2400+). I see Mainconcept who make the mpeg2 encoder that Adobe use, say they are soon to release a plugin to Premiere which will allow native mpeg editing. Let's hope so

I find Womble's MPEG2 Wizard editor pretty good - I like the way it shows all the frames. I am trying it out and have 30 days to evalulate it but so far it looks good

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm sorry $495.00 is way too much money just for the purpose of cutitng out commercials!!

Ulead mediastudio pro is not the program for joe shmoe who wants to trim commercials before burning. (Unless Joe shmoe has alot of cash and doesnt care, or is a filthy pirate)

If Ulead has gotten the technology down for non recompressing mpeg 2 cutting/joining, suporting ac3, mp2, and pcm, a good idea would be to release a small shareware for this exact purpose,and can only do merge and cuts.. And sell it CHEAP, like $10.00. I'd buy that.......

I am personnaly really in pain, I can capture mpeg2 video with ac3 audio, so it's fast, if only I could easily and cheaply cut and merge these files, cap to DVD would take no time!

Currently I use huffyuv+ pcm because I want exact cuts and no loss until final mpeg2 compression.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by duhmez
    I'm sorry $495.00 is way too much money just for the purpose of cutitng out commercials!!.
    I agree. But if you had the product already and it worked, then the other features of the program could be useful also

For editing mpeg2 files, I am finding Womble's MPEG2 Wizard pretty good and it's only $99 (after a $50 rebate they send you when you download the trial). Plus it does more than just edit - can do transitions etc. For purely removing commercials Womble MPEG2 VCR seems fine but for the same money I would buy the Wizard program

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you do some shopping, you can find ULEAD MediaStudio Pro 7.01 for far less than advertised on the Web site.

For example, my search on http://www.pricegrabber.com resulted in the following link...

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=703841/search=mediastudio%20pr...a188fdebe66208

...which reveals $312.25 for the FULL program...

...and there are "VE" versions that come with capture cards:

http://www.adstech.com/products/PYROProDVD/bundledsoftwares/API408bundle.asp?pid=API-408

The ADS PyroPro bundle includes:

- VE version of Ulead MediaStudio Pro;

- SE version of Ulead DVD Workshop;

- SE version of Ulead DVD PictureShow;

...for $329.

These SE and VE versions, however, might support AC-3 audio.

One would need to check into that.

The point is this:

Shop around.

Jerry Jones
    http://www.jonesgroup.net

Originally Posted by duhmez
    I'm sorry $495.00 is way too much money just for the purpose of cutitng out commercials!!

Ulead mediastudio pro is not the program for joe shmoe who wants to trim commercials before burning. (Unless Joe shmoe has alot of cash and doesnt care, or is a filthy pirate).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by duhmez
    Currently I use huffyuv+ pcm because I want exact cuts and no loss until final mpeg2 compression.
    Just as another data point. One one machine I can't capture uncompressed since the DC10+ compresses in MJPEG format. If I edit those files in Premiere Pro and output to MPEG2, the audio slowly goes out of sync. Mainconcept say it might be something to do with the MJPEG codec I am using (PicVideo) and to try another. I tried Morgan and the same happens. I might try recording in Huffyuv format on another machine and seeing if after editing and conversion to MPEG2 the audio stays in sync

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cazeek
    Hello,
    I've searched these forums for a while now. I checked many programs, and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I wanted to know if there is a free program out there that is good for removing commercials in MPEG-2 format. I don't want to re-encode the entire file or anything, I just want to simply edit out the commercials. Womble was perfect, but I'd rather not spend $120 to register for something as seemingly basic as what I'm looking for. Thanks for the replies! please
    Well, I don't know if you are still reading this, since everybody else seems to have hijacked the thread to argue about their own hobbyhorse. But if you do i have a suggestion, alas its also commercial, though at 109 is a bit cheaper (that's for mpeg2, mpeg1 is half that).

However since everybody else gets a dig in, let me just do the same and complain about Tmpgenc which has never been able to handle the mpeg2 files i give it, they always go out of sync, and it takes forever for it to clip - and with the latest blacklist of mpeg2 codecs i'm not sure its worth it anymore.

Anyway, you might want to have a look at the nanopeg editor, not the bloatware of Ulead nor the obscure nerdware of avisynt, it makes straight cuts, doesn't recode anything, doesn't require you to fiddle around with matching configs or input tons of weird stuff.

Step by step is:

• 1. Select "File/Select Output file" to enter the name of the new file.
    • 2. Click on "Add a new file" and select the file you wish to edit(it will start playing in the window).
    • 3. You have to select segments you wish to *include* (not remove), so grab the slider move to where your first segment starts and click "in"
    • 4. Find where it ends (ie before commercials) and click "out" then click "Add Interval", and this bit is added to the "clip list"
    • 5. Repeat from step 3 until you have all you wish to retain, then press "Generate movie" and that's it.

From www.nanocosmos.de
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by branch
    Anyway, you might want to have a look at the nanopeg editor, not the bloatware of Ulead nor the obscure nerdware of avisynt, it makes straight cuts, doesn't recode anything, doesn't require you to fiddle around with matching configs or input tons of weird stuff.
    OK just to get this back on track again, Womble works just as well, either the womble MPEG2 editor or the full featured Wizard. I find the Womble MPEG2 editor just fine for removing commercials

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by "lchiu7
    I find the Womble MPEG2 editor just fine for removing commercials
    Larry
    Is there a (fully) functioning demo one can try?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by branch
    Originally Posted by "lchiu7
    I find the Womble MPEG2 editor just fine for removing commercials
    Larry
    Is there a (fully) functioning demo one can try?
    There is a 30 day trial (full functioning) you can download from www.womble.com. You need to provide an e-mail address and they mail you a link and a registration code. I also got a $50 coupon to apply against the cost should I decided to buy it (still on my trial)

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  17. FYI, if you really want to go cheap on editing commercials and want to use Ulead's programs, get MovieFactory2. The latest versions have the "extract video" feature that makes removing commercials very simple. $49 retail, you can beat the price if you shop around a bit. Don't get MF2 SE, it lacks the "extract video" feature, you need the full version of MF2.
    Quote Quote  
  18. This thread has a number of refernces to Mpeg2Cut.

The old version 1.x of Mpeg2Cut has a lot of compatibility problems.

Try version 2 - Mpg2Cut2 - which resolves a number of issues from Version 1, and adds a number of new features.

Download the latest version of Mpg2Cut2 at
    http://www.geocities.com/rocketjet4/

If you are having problems with Version 1,
    then definiately give Version 2 a try.

For cutting VOBs, I recommend the following::
    - "menu - Output - Preamble - MAXIMUM"
    - Also use "PVAStrumento" from Offeryn if cutting multiple clips..
    Quote Quote  
  19. Actually I hardly ever use mpeg2 editors to edit out commercials. I capture the TV show with ads in MJPEG format using IUVCR. Then open up the (10G file)in Virtualdub, apply filters I want (deinterlace, resize to get over overscan issues), cut out the ads (fast and easy in Virtualdub) and then frameserve the output to mainconcept or tmpgenc. Works really well

Should I need to edit mpeg2 files I still find Womble the best
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by lchiu7
    Actually I hardly ever use mpeg2 editors to edit out commercials. I capture the TV show with ads in MJPEG format using IUVCR. Then open up the (10G file)in Virtualdub, apply filters I want (deinterlace, resize to get over overscan issues), cut out the ads (fast and easy in Virtualdub) and then frameserve the output to mainconcept or tmpgenc. Works really well

Should I need to edit mpeg2 files I still find Womble the best
    Amen brother. If you got the space on the hard drives and a little extra time for processing, this will always get you the best results. (Personally I use huffyuv instead of something like mjpeg, preferring lossless)

900 Gig of HD space so I always got some room somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  21. [/quote]

Amen brother. If you got the space on the hard drives and a little extra time for processing, this will always get you the best results. (Personally I use huffyuv instead of something like mjpeg, preferring lossless)

900 Gig of HD space so I always got some room somewhere.[/quote]

I used to use Huffyuv also but found that you couldn't do much of anything else (Athlon 2400+, 250G drive on secondary master) while capturing else you would drop frames. With MJPEG at 18 or 19 I can even burn a DVD to a drive on the other IDE channel and not miss a beat! I am happy with the quality and 10G/hour is okay for me (get it down to 1.9G for an hour TV show removing the ads)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SeeingMole
    Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    Code:
    AVISource("d:cazeek.avi") 
    Trim(0,99)+Trim(201,699)+Trim(801,1000)
    Umm.. he has an MPG file as source.....
    Code:
    MPEGSource("d:cazeek.avi") 
    Trim(0,99)+Trim(201,699)+Trim(801,1000)