VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have some DVD's I wish to back up and put on my Plex server however encoding them to x264 is a little tricky.

I normally do my encoding with x264 using AviSynth with simplex264launcher.

I know that DVD content is interlaced, I have no problem with deinterlacing to either 25FPS or 50FPS but keeping the original resolution of the DVD doesn't work so well. I think this is due to incorrect PAR when encoding.

Using AviSynth, is there a way to keep the original resolution and PAR of the video streams when encoding them to x264?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Add e.g. --sar 16:11 to x264 command-line. Note not all DVD content is interlaced.

Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TE16 View Post
    Using AviSynth, is there a way to keep the original resolution...
    Don't resize.
    ...and PAR...
    That's done in the encoder. As sneaker explained.
    I know that DVD content is interlaced...
    Then you know wrong. PAL DVDs are usually encoded as interlaced but that's not the same as saying the content itself is interlaced. In fact, if the source is a film then it's usually not interlaced. Before you go deinterlacing it, be darned sure it's interlaced. Just open your AviSynth script in VDub with no filtering other than the source (MPEG2Source) filter. Scroll to a place with movement. If you don't see interlacing, then it's not interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks, very helpful. I wouldn't have know the SAR was part of the encoder instead of AviSynth.

What I meant was DVD streams are interlaced and yes I did know that not all content on DVD's is interlaced.
    Last edited by TE16; 14th Apr 2017 at 17:18.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by TE16 View Post
    ...yes I did know that now all content on DVD's is interlaced.
    And you're still wrong.

You could always post a 10 second sample from the source so we could have a look. You can cut it using DGIndex.
    Quote Quote