VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone i have set up virtual dub on my pc and server pc and i have the command line which is working on both pcs but, im unable to get it working over my server

i have done other stufff in asp via the command line.

so far all i can get to work when i do it over asp is for virtualdub to open in the proccess.

Code:
    <%

Dim oShellb,oShellc, BCommanda ,CCommanda

set oShellb = server.createobject("wscript.shell")
    set oShellc = server.createobject("wscript.shell")

a1 = "e:\web\www_video\Video\tag\t2.vcf"

a2 = "e:\web\www_video\Video\test.avi"

a3 = "e:\web\www_video\Video\testhello898.avi"

a6 = "&ldquo;" 'left "

a5 = "&rdquo;" 'right "

BCommanda = "virtualdub.exe /s "&a1&" /p "&a6&""&a2&""&a5&" "&a6&""&a3&""&a5&" /x"
    CCommanda = "virtualdub.exe /r /x"

oShellb.Run BCommanda
    oShellc.Run CCommanda
    %>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Running interactive desktop applications from a web server is never a good idea.
    Nevertheless, a few things to look at:
    • Does your IIS account (IUSR_machinename)have executable rights for virtualdub? I presume yes, as you say you see the virtualdub process
    • Does your IIS account have access to the files you feed into VirtualDub?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Running interactive desktop applications from a web server is never a good idea.
    Nevertheless, a few things to look at:
    • Does your IIS account (IUSR_machinename)have executable rights for virtualdub? I presume yes, as you say you see the virtualdub process
    • Does your IIS account have access to the files you feed into VirtualDub?

/Mats
    Yea i think so its like ive done a response.write of the actual command which i then copy into the servers cmd and it adds the job to the list which i then start and does teh whole proccess.

also ive put it in the system32 folder another 2 other programs ive used which are accessable ffmpeg & menconder and they convert stuff perfectly over asp.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In what way does your approach fail? You say VD starts, but then? Nothing happens at all?
    What do you mean by
    the actual command which i then copy into the servers cmd
    - If you mean what I think (you try the VD command from the CLI), are you logged on as IUSR_machinename? If not, it may still be some access violation problem. Checked the app/system log for clues?
    At times, we've been forced to resort to running a GUI app (or service) that watches a dir for uploads (done via HTTP), then starts the standalone app once the upload is complete.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What i want to happen is for the command to add a job to vd and then i can later run another command telling the program to run all of the jobs.

What i get is nothing just a blank page with no errors, and process appearing on the server.

by the actual command i mean, ive simply done a response.write"Commandb" which displays teh command which is ment to be being run which for test only reasons i then copy that code and input that into the servers command line via windows and it adds a job.

nah im not logged onto my server as a IUSR_machinename, least i dont think so, ive got the server in the other room which is frickin freezing nd i have 2 keep goin in their 2 check it to see if the jobs been added.

gonna try find the app/system log for clues but dont know where to look . do i look in VD ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I meant the event log, under Admin tools. But maybe even VD creates a log that may contain some useful info.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gonna freeze and look at the servers logs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    got a error saying

Application popup: virtualdub.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

so i changed virtualdub.exe to vdub.exe in my command
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    still i dont get nothing, what makes you think its an access violation problem as i can access and convert via other programs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe it can't be run without being able to show the GUI? Not all apps can be run from IIS.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the VD help guide it says this

Because virtualdub.exe and veedub64.exe are GUI programs, the command interpreter in Windows will not wait for them to exit before returning. In addition, its main window will appear as usual. This can be changed by using the vdub.exe or vdub64.exe front ends, which launch the main application in a special command-line mode.

vdub /i GetVideoLength.script foo.avi
    When the command line front end is used, VirtualDub automatically starts with its main window minimized (but not hidden), and automatically exits when it has completed processing (implicit /x). In addition, log output is diverted to standard output.

which if you CBA to read it tells me it can be run without a GUI and ive tried it in teh command starting wit vdub.exe and it runs it all without teh gui.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When the command line front end is used, VirtualDub automatically starts with its main window minimized (but not hidden)
    - I read that like the GUI is still there, but not "on top". And if the user that launces it doesn't have a desktop (IUSR_machinename doesn't) it may well fail to start.
    AFAICS, you have 2 options: Use something else (ditch VirtualDub for this) or create a standalone (always running on the web server) app the IIS somehow can talk to, that in turn launces VirtualDub.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok any ideas on how i would go about createing a standalone (always running on the web server) app the IIS somehow can talk to, that in turn launches VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The simplest way would, as I previously indicated, to have IIS (your web app) place a file (let's say an AVI) in some directory your standalone app watches.
    When it finds a file, it starts VirtualDub with the file (and possibly some other) as parameter.
    Another (and more elegant) approach would be to communicate thru a DB table, where IIS adds "jobs", and the standalone takes care of the jobs and runs VD.

/Mats
    Quote Quote