VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, I've run into a confusing situation. I have some progressive video files, and I would like to author them to DVD. Everything seems fine, but my DVD playback software is still reading the DVD as an interlaced source.

The original AVI files are progressive, so I ticked the "progressive source" box in CCE so that the MPEG flags would be correct (and they are).

But everytime I author a DVD (doesn't matter which program), the DVD reads as an interlaced source. I don't think this is right, as I've seen many commercially released DVDs that read correctly as a progressive source.

I thought this would be easy to fix by using IFOedit and changing the flag, but it won't let me! When it gives the choice between "camera" and "film", it's stuck on camera and the film option is darkened out and not selectable. It's driving me crazy. All I want to do is change the DVD's flag to progressive.

Any tips?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

But everytime I author a DVD (doesn't matter which program), the DVD reads as an interlaced source. I don't think this is right, as I've seen many commercially released DVDs that read correctly as a progressive source.

Just what is reading it as an interlaced source? You have to understand that every NTSC DVD outputs interlaced 29.97fps, no matter how it was encoded and stored on the DVD. It could very well have been encoded as progressive 23.976fps, but with the 3:2 pulldown, the result is interlaced 29.97fps output. You can run the vobs through such programs as ReStream and Bitrate Viewer to confirm that the progressive flag has been set.

What authoring program are you using? You're sure that a progressive 23.976fps source isn't being reencoded as interlaced 29.97fps before authoring, aren't you? You did apply 3:2 pulldown so it's DVD compliant, didn't you, either during or after the encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  3. The original content is 29.97 fps (NTSC) and 25 fps (PAL). It is standard definition content made progressive by motion-adaptive deinterlacing.

I just noticed that when I viewed the info with PowerDVD, it still says "interlaced". However, when I check the info for some Hollywood movies, it will say "progressive".

I ran some of my VOB files through Bitrate Viewer as you suggested, and it says they are progressive. I guess that means things may be ok, but why do some "professional" DVDs read as progressive on my DVD playback software?
    Quote Quote  
  4. In my Configuration->Information of PowerDVD, which is where I assume you're finding the Interlaced or Progressive information, my old version doesn't say either. I can't help figure it out. Perhaps someone else can.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, I'm finding it by following the "configuration" option.

I'm using version 7.0, can't remember what the older versions are like.
    Quote Quote