VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello folks,

I have a mini-DV camcorder that still works great and from which I have a lot of video to capture.

I also have a Windows 10 workstation with FW800 ports.

Are there any software offerings out there that will still "see" this camcorder and be able to capture my video clips?

Thanks in advance...

Keith
    Quote Quote  
  2. HDVSplit , there is one reviewer on that download page that uses win10
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not familiar with that. Is that a program that comes with a Windows install??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Click that link in my post, download it, that 0.77 version , portable (it's beta but it is ok) , run.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow, alright,... thank you
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDV split is THE capture utility for HDV.
    The Canon HV-30 (I still have mine), is a great camera and takes video that looks rather film-like.
    If you run into trouble I will see if it works on my latest W10 install, it's been a while since I used it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDV split works fine with my HV-30 and Windows 10 version 1903.
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again folks. This may save me having to try to resurrect my 9yo MacBook Pro.

~ Keith
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Folks, I have a new problem now. Yay.

Tonight, I tried to capture some video via HDV Split, and my camera was playing the tape back at what appeared to be 2x normal speed. I tried turning the camera off and on again, and I disconnected it from my computer in case the program was doing something to cause this. Nope.

In your experience, what does this mean? Is this going to be a costly repair for my camera?

Thanks again for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh boy. Maybe caps? Not sure what the life expectancy is, but Canon has a forum, too.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    Folks, I have a new problem now. Yay.

Tonight, I tried to capture some video via HDV Split, and my camera was playing the tape back at what appeared to be 2x normal speed. I tried turning the camera off and on again, and I disconnected it from my computer in case the program was doing something to cause this. Nope.

In your experience, what does this mean? Is this going to be a costly repair for my camera?

Thanks again for all your help.
    Does it play @ 2x when not connected to the software? If yes it could be a problem with the camera if not could be that the software is compatible with legal HDV which is interlaced HDV and your camcorder is one of the few that recorded non legal progressive HDV (24p, 30p or 25p, depends on the market) so the software plays the blended fields as frames. If that's the case I believe you have to hunt down a Canon video grabber application from back in the day or use NLE software such as Premiere Pro.

In any case check the playback setting and make sure it is not setting related before you assume it's defective.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. I did look for a setting that could be causing this, but found nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Barrythecrab View Post
    Oh boy. Maybe caps? Not sure what the life expectancy is, but Canon has a forum, too.
    Sorry... maybe caps? What do you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Means bad surface mounted capacitors, If the camera is defective for real and it's playing fast that means the capstan motor driver gone bad (the chip itself, capacitors ..), To verify that, while playing video hit pause, if you get a stable frame that means it's a capstan problem as I explained it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, guess what? Playback was fine just now when I tested it. I think this has something to do with the HDV Split software, but I'm not sure what.

Assuming I can find the setting that caused the problem, here's another question: The software encodes in a Windows-only format. I forgot the file tag, but it was nothing I recognized. Is there a way to either encode these clips in a QT-friendly format or otherwise convert them after capturing?

I tried to download an .MPEG2 extension to Windows, but all I could get was something online that permitted me to view videos. Ugh. I need something that encodes in a QT-compatible format.

Folks, thank you for taking the time to address my concerns. I wish I had enough knowledge to return the favor to this forum, but I'm only a hobbyist with limited experience, and use my camera sparingly.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    canon hv30 can record and playback in 2 formats, HDV and minDV. if the tape is HDV(1440x1080) you use HDVsplit and capture .mts files. there is no other option. if it's a miniDV(720x480) tape you use winDV to capture as an avi file, again no other option. those programs capture exactly whats on the tape.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay... my HV30 is an HD camera, and captures at the 1440 pixel rez. Is there a way to convert the .MTS file to another format? If not, then I'll have to resurrect my older MacBook Pro.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    once captured you can convert them to anything you want. inside the .mts file is mpeg video and mpeg audio. in square pixel formats the 1440x1080 video converts to 1920x1080. it mostly depends on what your final objective is. do you want to make blu-rays, dvds, streaming video?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  19. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/350084-MTS-to-MOV-without-reencoding-(Windows-platform)
    Try rewrapping. If it works, great.

If not, dig out that Mac to make QT .mov files since Apple dropped QT for windows support years ago.

If you're simply comverting to any other popular format for easy playback, like mp4, anything like handbrake or any modern video editor can do this. (Eg free Davinci Resolve)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    ...it mostly depends on what your final objective is. do you want to make blu-rays, dvds, streaming video?
    Nah, none of those. I simply want to archive clips, both live HD footage and stuff captured from old VHS cassettes. But, this info is good to know. Thank you much.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/350084-MTS-to-MOV-without-reencoding-(Windows-platform)
    Try rewrapping. If it works, great.

If not, dig out that Mac to make QT .mov files since Apple dropped QT for windows support years ago.

If you're simply comverting to any other popular format for easy playback, like mp4, anything like handbrake or any modern video editor can do this. (Eg free Davinci Resolve)
    Wow... I have Handbrake. I can do that. I seem to have a number of options. Thanks so much folks!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Have you tried simply changing the file extension from .mts to .mpeg?
    Quote Quote